Is it safe to fly when it is raining?

paul devereux

6 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Ignorance is no defence believe me, which is maybe why you ask your questions. If you don't know, you don't know, but you can fnd out....learn......read......even by asking on a forum, maybe ?

Horses can be "freaked out" even by a polystyrene cup rolling around on the road by the breeze........

My goodness. I'm sometimes lost for words. Just who do some of you people think you are?

Paul if you find it's true, why would you want the world to know when you were so concerned about the accident in Spain bringing model flying into disrepute. Many years ago an R/Cmodel club put on an annual show for a local school,, just after a hand launch a 40 ic powered  scale model went off course and hit a young child in the face with the prop resulting in serious injury.  Fortunately for the club the school insurance covered the claim. The  incident did not make the newspapers. The pilot was a very experienced flyer, the club never flew in public again. Many incidences like this must have gone unreported as H and S was not given much priority then and pre Internet local news stayed local.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Paul if you find it's true, why would you want the world to know when you were so concerned about the accident in Spain bringing model flying into disrepute. Many years ago an R/Cmodel club put on an annual show for a local school,, just after a hand launch a 40 ic powered  scale model went off course and hit a young child in the face with the prop resulting in serious injury.  Fortunately for the club the school insurance covered the claim. The  incident did not make the newspapers. The pilot was a very experienced flyer, the club never flew in public again. Many incidences like this must have gone unreported as H and S was not given much priority then and pre Internet local news stayed local.

First, it is not me who keep derailing this thread, it is people like you. If you look back, heck if you just look at the thread title, you'll see I was just asking for opinions in flying in showers- and I've had some interesting and thoughtful responses on topic. 

Second, surely you must agree the irony of the BMFA insurers making their biggest-ever payout over a chuck glider (we don't know the circumstances, may have been flown by a child in a park, may have been flown at a club,though it is difficult to see precisely how that can have led to calamity) when their purpose is to insure RC planes, is worthy of discovery?

Thirdly, I am astonished by the high-handed attitude of some posters-  someone called Rich warning me of the dangers of spooking horses (I have been around horses all my life, I ride and keep horses) and also advising me to ask questions on a forum! Presumably he does not mean this forum.

32 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

First, it is not me who keep derailing this thread, it is people like you. If you look back, heck if you just look at the thread title, you'll see I was just asking for opinions in flying in showers- and I've had some interesting and thoughtful responses on topic. 

Second, surely you must agree the irony of the BMFA insurers making their biggest-ever payout over a chuck glider (we don't know the circumstances, may have been flown by a child in a park, may have been flown at a club,though it is difficult to see precisely how that can have led to calamity) when their purpose is to insure RC planes, is worthy of discovery?

Thirdly, I am astonished by the high-handed attitude of some posters-  someone called Rich warning me of the dangers of spooking horses (I have been around horses all my life, I ride and keep horses) and also advising me to ask questions on a forum! Presumably he does not mean this forum.

The BMFA insurance isn't to insure RC aeroplanes. It is to insure its members in their modelling activities.  That includes free flight, control line, radio control activities. 

• Like 1

I think you're question was answered in the first 4 replies.  By admitting to not reading the BMFA guide/ rules you started the drift, the purpose of the BMFA is not just to cover R/C aircraft but to cover members flying free flight, control line etc, as well as being a voice for their members.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

The BMFA insurance isn't to insure RC aeroplanes. It is to insure its members in their modelling activities.  That includes free flight, control line, radio control activities. 

A good point which we all agree on, but irrelevant. So why make it? I was talking about the irony of the BMFA insuring against the damage planes can cause, and it turned out their biggest problem was a chuck glider.  Not a RC plane, not a CL plane, not a free flight plane, but a toy.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Deprecating comment removed

41 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

I think you're question was answered in the first 4 replies.  By admitting to not reading the BMFA guide/ rules you started the drift, the purpose of the BMFA is not just to cover R/C aircraft but to cover members flying free flight, control line etc, as well as being a voice for their members.

Well then, some posters have replied with differing views- and I presume they have all read the BMFA guidelines. How do you explain that? And to save you trouble, it is a rhetorical question.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Deprecating comment removed