Is it safe to fly when it is raining?

paul devereux

Last of my newbie questions I hope. When I went out this morning the forecast was 0% rain, when I took off there was a slight drizzle, half way through my one and only flight it was definitely raining. I didn't want to end the flight prematurely, but should I have? (Ironically, when I was driving home, the rain stopped and the sun came out).

Personally I won't fly in the rain. If it's raining I won't take off. If it starts to rain whilst I'm flying I land immediately.  I find it would very quickly become a problem, wearing glasses, to be unable to guarantee being able to see the model. 

• Like 1

In the old days water could run down your 35meg tx antenna and ground itself internally killing your signal. These days thats less likely, but if you get water in your gimbals or in under the buttons on the tx its not likely to end well. I have flown in light drizzly stuff using a tx mitt but its not a pleasant experience as all my other equipment ended up wet and muddy. 

There are a few factors to consider.  The major danger is getting water into the transmitter which could either affect it during the flight or have long term consequences if not dried out thoroughly and promptly. 

You need to consider visibility - both the reduction in visual range and the effects on glasses if worn and rain getting into the eyes. 

Some will say that rain can affect range although I did conduct an experiment on a quiet day flying a foam EDF in pouring rain while standing in the open door of the club garage.  A club mate repeated the exercise but to test a rain shield that he’d made for use in competition where flights may be made in less than ideal conditions.  In both cases full control and good telemetry results were obtained at comfortable flight distances. 

At the end of the day, is it worth getting wet and miserable for the sake of a flight or two - or, as in your case, waiting for the weather to break?

• Like 2

From the BMFA Handbook (you have looked at it haven't you Paul?):

13.3 Radio Control Flying Safety

(r)  Take extra care when flying in adverse weather conditions. It is easy to lose sight of your model in fog or low cloud. Strong winds and turbulence can be a stimulating challenge but can catch out the unwary. Flying in rain can give serious radio problems if water gets inside your transmitter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Lee said:

From the BMFA Handbook (you have looked at it haven't you Paul?):

No, I don't read stuff like that, which is why my Champ had the wrong CG and I didn't know how to programme a Tx. The problem is, I don't know I need info until I need it, if you see what I mean. I do have one though, I might look through it now.

3 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I’m assuming your comments are slightly tongue in cheek but if there’s any element of truth there, it begs the question of whether you’re aware of your legal responsibilities to register both as a pilot and operator and to operate within the relevant regulations. 

Yes, I've done the CAA registration and am insured. I'm just not a "details" person.

27 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

No, I don't read stuff like that, which is why my Champ had the wrong CG and I didn't know how to programme a Tx

16 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

I'm just not a "details" person.

I dont wish to be rude, but you might want to get yourself an attitude upgrade. 

29 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

I don't know I need info until I need it, if you see what I mean.

Which is why they publish the handbook. Its also why certain rules and procedures are in place as they know more than you. If the news reports are to be believed this type of 'take it as it comes' attitude was at the core of why that Titan submarine imploded. Had your out of balance and badly set up model bashed someone in the head its quite unlikely you would enjoy what followed. I am quite confident that would qualify as a breach of the air navigation order (also in the handbook) and the authorities take a very dim view of that sort of thing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Whilst Paul's  Champ, at <250grams isn't the most dangerous model to set foot in the air, I have to agree with what Jon says. You really ought not just go on in such a slapdash manner - saying "I'm not a details person" is not a valid excuse for not being aware of the basics of flight safety and your responsibilities as a pilot. Nor is it a valid excuse for not taking the simple step of reading the manual and being informed on how to operate a model safely. The Champ is a tiddler, but your Wot-4 Foam-E isn't and not being fully aware of the best practices is not the way to go. 

Edited by leccyflyer

4 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Whilst Paul's  Champ, at <250grams isn't the most dangerous model to set foot in the air, I have to agree with what Jon says. You really ought not just go on in such a slapdash manner - saying "I'm not a details person" is not a valid excuse for not being aware of the basics of flight safety and your responsibilities as a pilot. Nor is it a valid excuse for not taking the simple step of reading the manual and being informed on how to operate a model safely. The Champ is a tiddler, but your Wot-4 Foam-E isn't and not being fully aware of the best practices is not the way to go. 

It weights 105gms, to be precise. I don't want to get into another debate, because last time some one did actually suggest I start my own forum for light-weight models and leave this one. (That actually isn't a bad idea- not start one, but join one).  My ambition is never to haul a 5kg plane around the sky, it is for the lightweight WW2 or pioneer aircraft models ( the BE2 and Airco DH2 are my future ideal projects). I chose a Wot 4 foam-e because I have been led to believe they are easy to learn to fly on, and I have enjoyed learning on it. 

6 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

It weights 105gms, to be precise. I don't want to get into another debate, because last time some one did actually suggest I start my own forum for light-weight models and leave this one. (That actually isn't a bad idea- not start one, but join one).  My ambition is never to haul a 5kg plane around the sky, it is for the lightweight WW2 or pioneer aircraft models ( the BE2 and Airco DH2 are my future ideal projects). I chose a Wot 4 foam-e because I have been led to believe they are easy to learn to fly on, and I have enjoyed learning on it. 

Not sure why anyone would suggest starting your own forum for lightweight models - there's a perfectly usable forum here for lightweight models.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/forum/69-indoor-models-ultra-micros-and-small-park-flyers/

The reason I stated <250g is because that it the legally defined weight limit at which different regulations for model flight begin. However you still have to fly sub 250g models safely and should still read the manual and be aware of how to operate the model safely. Some years ago the BMFA's insurers largest pay out of a claim was for a small chuck glider, so even small models can cause harm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Interesting.Do you have a link or any details on that so I can look it up?

It was quite a while ago  and before everything was "on the internet", so there may be nothing to "look up".

If I recall correctly it was a chuck glider that hit someone in the eye and blinded them.

That is the sort of detail that alarms people.

Dick

Edited by Dickw
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Interesting.Do you have a link or any details on that so I can look it up?

I don't have a link, it was a while ago, but it was well known and cropped up in the club visits made by the BMFA to clubs at the time.

35 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

My ambition is never to haul a 5kg plane around the sky, it is for the lightweight WW2 or pioneer aircraft models

Just because a model is small dose not mean it needs to be treated with any less respect. As has been pointed out people have suffered life changing injury at the hands of a smaller model and there have been fatalities involving models similar in size and weight to a wot4 foame. 

I think the most serious injury i have ever done to myself with a model was with a teeny blade mcpx helicopter. Damn thing cut me to ribbons.