Foam wing - balsa skin ve obeche

The Kaos 90 plan on Outerzone specifies a foam core wing skinned with 3/32 balsa.

I'd use a supplier for the wing and skinned with obeche at around 0.7mm seems to be what passes for normal.

As far as I can tell, the mechanical properties for obeche are around triple that of balsa so thickness for thickness they seem to be equivalent. So tempted to just do it with no other compensations, other than growing the cross section to make up for the lost thickness.

Any other views please?

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5216

https://www.wood-database.com/obeche/

https://www.wood-database.com/balsa/

Balsa gives a much better finish , doesnt ripple like obeche if glue fails and doesnt split open like the current obechi seems to. 

Years ago i would definatetly have gone with obeche as is seemed much more consistent than the present offeringsof obeche but would now opt for balsa every time.

Of course since our winnd farms have collard the market for balsa our choice of weight , grain etc has been severly affected. 

Others may have different views or experiences but it would be balsa for me.

USA designs almost always used balsa to cover foam wings, whilst British designs normally used obeche veneer.   In Britain wings were supplied ready veneered, but USA supplied plain foam for the builder to skin with balsa.

Obeche veneer used to be cheap but not now.   Balsa is expensive but the balsa offcuts can be used for other things but obeche offcuts are less useful except for tailplanes or fins.

The glassfibre or other centre section reinforcement is the important thing in foam wings.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Balsa gives a much better finish , doesnt ripple like obeche if glue fails and doesnt split open like the current obechi seems to. 

Years ago i would definatetly have gone with obeche as is seemed much more consistent than the present offeringsof obeche but would now opt for balsa every time.

Of course since our winnd farms have collard the market for balsa our choice of weight , grain etc has been severly affected. 

Others may have different views or experiences but it would be balsa for me.

Thanks for that. I did re-skin in balsa an old foam wing that had suffered glue failure - albeit after a couple of decades.

9 hours ago, kc said:

USA designs almost always used balsa to cover foam wings, whilst British designs normally used obeche veneer.   In Britain wings were supplied ready veneered, but USA supplied plain foam for the builder to skin with balsa.

Obeche veneer used to be cheap but not now.   Balsa is expensive but the balsa offcuts can be used for other things but obeche offcuts are less useful except for tailplanes or fins.

The glassfibre or other centre section reinforcement is the important thing in foam wings.

An interesting insight into why balsa was probably chosen in the first instance, thanks.