Does it take long to reach this level of proficiency?

paul devereux

22 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

I’m in the latter category I’m afraid - have a lot of hours, can probably fly all sorts of manoeuvres, I can in the simulator, but when it comes to the real thing I bottle it and play it safe.  I find myself hamstrung worrying about how much a crash will cost.

This has particularly held me back learning helicopters.

I'm with you on this, but I don't think it is the cost, really, I think it is the crash. If I want to try a roll just after take off because it looks cool, I'm not thinking of the cost, I'm thinking I'm not going to manage it! (My wife and I have come to an agreement on cost, since she keeps two horses which need farriers, vets, and feeding, even if I crashed a plane every month my hobby would be cheaper than hers. Though to be fair, we can share the horses, and taking a horse for a ride through woods and heathland is a pleasure not everyone has experienced, but it is so good. You can cover so much rough ground so quickly).

Edited by paul devereux
  • Like 1

Advert

5 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Horses of your own, I'm envious, we having a picture of them sometime ?

Do you ride? We have two cobs, have access to other horses for exercise, but cobs are steadier. I recently rode an 18h ex-hunter who was bomb-proof until he saw a fox, when he became a madman, lol!

Edited by paul devereux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

By the way:

Ruhig Tigre...

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12174

Kind of Fly Baby appearance. Big, thick wing for good slow flight with soft stall, light open construction. Good size controls at the tail end.

Could use slightly wider ailerons if you're planning on hovers / harriers, like in the video, but that would be easy to do, if building yourself. Especially with the wing section (it's all straight lines at the trailing edge).

I might build one myself 🙂

I entirely agree with you, Peter J. From my experience, people new to it seem to think that massive surface movement is the way to go since they have been watching the hot shots at events. Most of us are, I expect, too old to learn new tricks, and why bother hovering anyway? I have an Edge 540 which would do it if I cared but had more satisfaction trying this with a cheap, almost indestructible indoor model.

I started very young, about 12, and built a single channel set from this mag., later a reed set then a lousy glitchy Stavely propo which I flew to death, getting through two OS 30`s and two OS 40`s and was rather brave in those days. The natural progression from reeds to propo dictated mode 1. Still not worked out how to do an eight point roll on mode 2.

It only took me three years hence to get me to the top of the F3A tree but of course the maneouvres were much more comprehensible in those days.

Practice, practice and then some more will get you there.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2023 at 17:09, Cuban8 said:

A lot of very clever flying from many youngsters....................I bet they get dad to pay for the breakages though!

Some years ago there was a very young lad, barely able to hold the transmitter, who was fearless ... but they were his dad's planes and his dad did all the repairs 🙂  To be fair he got even better as he aged.

His dad test flew my Precedent FunFly powered with an Irvine Q40.  It was barely off the ground before he rolled it inverted and climbed away - my heart missed a beat!  So ... like father, like son, I guess.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2023 at 05:56, David Davis said:

The following may be of some interest and relevance.

We had a seventy year-old join the club last October. He had never flown an r/c aircraft before but he soon learned, passed his Brevet A, the French equivalent of the BMFA A Certificate, a couple of months ago and now he flies his OS 46 powered Calmato with great skill and elan and he's one of the best pilots in the club.OK he doesn't prop hang!

Having said that, he's a retired commercial airline pilot and instructor so he has a good understanding of aerodynamics. He also had to learn to fly Mode 1 because out of thirty members in my club, I am the only Mode 2 pilot. He described Mode 2 as "plus logique!"

I have been flying r/c for thirty-three years but he's a better pilot than I am. My flying skills are pretty average which is why I limit the aircraft I build and fly to models which are pretty stable. I have no wish to learn how to prop hang. Just sayin.

Thats fantastic.   I love to hear stories like that.  They are an inspiration to others.  Good luck to that seventy year old man and many more years of good enjoyable flying and happy landings.   

13 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Thats fantastic.   I love to hear stories like that.  They are an inspiration to others.  Good luck to that seventy year old man and many more years of good enjoyable flying and happy landings.   

Sometime ago this chap was diagnosed with cancer. This resulted in him having to go into hospital for an operation a few weeks ago . They kept him in for a week then a nurse visited him regularly at home for several days but then he was soon back at the field showing us all how it's done with the Calmato. He drives a beautiful bronze Jaguar too with cream leather upholstery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Davis said:

Sometime ago this chap was diagnosed with cancer. This resulted in him having to go into hospital for an operation a few weeks ago . They kept him in for a week then a nurse visited him regularly at home for several days but then he was soon back at the field showing us all how it's done with the Calmato. He drives a beautiful bronze Jaguar too with cream leather upholstery.

He sounds like a wonderful man.  Fair play to him and good health.  

• Like 1