Connecting Wing Servos

Angelotti

I have an Arrows Husky largish foam cabin model which I like a lot. At 6ft span it won't fit in my car with the wings on. The attaching of the wings at the field with 3 screws each side would be straightforward if it was not for the problem of connecting the 3 servo leads each side into the fuselage (one each side is for the wing lights). They have to be passed through small holes in the wing fixing area at the top of the fuz and then connected to the leads from the receiver. This requires hands going into the fuz passed the battery. Removing the battery for this helps but not a lot.

I have noticed in videos that the EFlite Turbo Timber has the wing servo leads connected to one multi-plug each side and those are pushed into multi-sockets in the fuz. That plane has the advantage that the wings are joined together before the whole wing is attached to the top of the fuz. However, if I can find such multi-plugs and sockets, I will try to find a way to fit the multi-sockets into the wing-fixing areas on my Husky. Does anyone know where suitable multi-plugs and sockets can be purchased?

I also notice that the XFly Tasmin has the same kind of wing fixing. I think that the makers should themselves fit multi-plug wing servo connectors for these planes, like those in the EFlite Turbo Timber.   

Fit short servo extension leads and have the connections  in a convenient place, or at least long enough to draw the wing out far enough to disconnect the servo leads.

Or add a hatch somewhere as you're using screws to hold the wings on 

Edited by eflightray

Fitting leads from the receiver long enough to come out of the top of the fuz doesn't work at the moment because the plugs jam in the rather small opening. As you suggest, taking a knife to the foam to considerably enlarge the opening is probably the answer.  

The XFly Tasman hasn’t got connectors built in, there are 2 servo plugs each side, one for flaps and the other has both the aileron and wing lights joined into one servo plug. As per eflightray’s suggestion above, I have short servo cables plugged into the Rx and they hang out if the fuse, I then connect the wing cable plugs before slotting the wings home and pushing the connected cables back into the fuse. It’s so simple it’s not worth the effort to either make a plug in connector or even to fit Maxloks.

Edited by Ron Gray

Ron, glad to know that works on the Tasman because I was proposing buying one. As I said, I haven't managed to get it to work on the Husky because the holes for the leads in the top of the fuz are too small and will need enlarging. The Husky has three plugs with the lights connection in its own plug. Perhaps the Tasman has larger holes also. I'll reconsider the Tasman now because the alternative Eflite Turbo Timber is quite a lot more expensive.  

There are a couple of things to watch out for with the Tasman. The flap servos are, imo, not up to the task of controlling flaps, especially when said flaps are in fully deployed ‘barn door’ position, I’ve stripped the gears on mine so have other Tasman owners. I’ve now fitted TowerPro MG 92B (Servo Shop) and they are excellent, alternatively just don’t have the flaps dropping so much! The other thing is the U/C which is made from monkey metal and bends as soon as you look at it. I’ve now re-engineered mine as you can see in these photos below. And finally, the wheels have tires made from thick balloon material so are quite flimsy, don’t under inflate them as a hard landing will break the plastic hubs, but don’t over inflate them either as that will induce ground looping. As you can see from the photos I’ve fitted ‘proper’ inflatable wheels but they really are a bit on the heavy side so will be reverting back to the original ones. 

The above may put you off buying one but that would be a mistake because the Tasman really is an excellent, all weather, ‘plane. I now use mine to give beginners a taste of model flying and it’s now used as my trainer ‘plane too.

IMG_8077.thumb.jpeg.aca5378799fcf695136c0fbc54cdd269.jpeg

IMG_8078.thumb.jpeg.c059d031d2e3fc8e66babb261b8c871f.jpeg

Thanks for that info about the Tasman. I can cope with redoing the undercarriage but may wait until the serious discounters have it in stock again, hopefully soon.

I have started modifying the Husky as shown below. The original fuselage holes for the leads are lined with plastic so I have hacked a hole further back. The leads in the wings need moving to match but that is doable since they are in channels on the bottom of the wings covered with tape.

I am finishing building a Seagull Pilatus Porter in the second photo. Its wing servo leads are similar (the hole in the fuselage still has covering to be removed in the photo) but there are no flaps or lights and the front end is bigger that on the Husky.

Huskymod.JPG

PilatusPorter.JPG

On 11/08/2023 at 18:09, Angelotti said:

I have an Arrows Husky largish foam cabin model which I like a lot. At 6ft span it won't fit in my car with the wings on. The attaching of the wings at the field with 3 screws each side would be straightforward if it was not for the problem of connecting the 3 servo leads each side into the fuselage (one each side is for the wing lights). They have to be passed through small holes in the wing fixing area at the top of the fuz and then connected to the leads from the receiver. This requires hands going into the fuz passed the battery. Removing the battery for this helps but not a lot.

I have noticed in videos that the EFlite Turbo Timber has the wing servo leads connected to one multi-plug each side and those are pushed into multi-sockets in the fuz. That plane has the advantage that the wings are joined together before the whole wing is attached to the top of the fuz. However, if I can find such multi-plugs and sockets, I will try to find a way to fit the multi-sockets into the wing-fixing areas on my Husky. Does anyone know where suitable multi-plugs and sockets can be purchased?

I also notice that the XFly Tasmin has the same kind of wing fixing. I think that the makers should themselves fit multi-plug wing servo connectors for these planes, like those in the EFlite Turbo Timber.   

I use these thunderbolt multi servo connectors on my giant carbon z t28 Trojan.   They are excellent.   

20230803_192746.jpg

I have done the second part of the foam hacking, moving the leads in the wings to line up with the larger holes I made in the top of the fuz which I showed previously. See photo here of the wing mods. This is so that I can use extension leads from the fuz, connect them outside it and push them inside before fixing the wings in position, as suggested by Ron Gray. I should be able to try it at the field later this week if the fine, calm weather promised for the West Midlands does come.

Have not worked out a way to use multi-plugs. It would be good but I think might need too much foam cutting. Aidan, what was required on the "giant carbon Z t28 Trojan"?  

HuskyWingMod2.JPG

17 minutes ago, Angelotti said:

I have done the second part of the foam hacking, moving the leads in the wings to line up with the larger holes I made in the top of the fuz which I showed previously. See photo here of the wing mods. This is so that I can use extension leads from the fuz, connect them outside it and push them inside before fixing the wings in position, as suggested by Ron Gray. I should be able to try it at the field later this week if the fine, calm weather promised for the West Midlands does come.

Have not worked out a way to use multi-plugs. It would be good but I think might need too much foam cutting. Aidan, what was required on the "giant carbon Z t28 Trojan"?  

HuskyWingMod2.JPG

Hi there, I just connected up the ailerons and flaps by plugging in one end of the connector direct to the receiver and the other end to the servo extension leads coming from the wing itself.  Very handy and quick set up at the field.  

20230814_152929.jpg

20230803_192736.jpg