My Mini F22 FT Raptor, amazing the difference a motor change makes.

Bonzo Moon

Advert

1 hour ago, FlyinFlynn said:

When you consider the cost of them they really must represent the best 'bang for your buck' , half a sheet of depron, a tube of glue, two 9 gram servos, a indoor rx and a 1300mAh 2 or 3 cell pack and a motor and you can do high alpha slow passes all day long!

Dead cheap!  This one here is my own Mini version of the bigger Flight Test F22 so it'll come out of an A2 foam board sheet. I scaled down their plans to 25% with Adobe Acrobat,  PLUS  I simplified the original  nose to make a really simple and lighter build.

Build blog is here 

20230910_111113 (1).jpg

Totally flat Rich, at least the one I listed is. You can leave the edges square if you wish, As per the plan there is a 2mm x 0.5mm carbon strip stuck to the leading edges and then you can round the foam down to those, the carbon does add some ding resistance and wing rigidity. I used 6mm depron sheet for mine, mounted the servos in slots cut in the skids, or just hotglued in a former under the wing operating the ele/flap/spoilerons by carbon pushrods. The battery and Rx fit in cutouts in the fuz under the wing plate, esc stuck to the body..  They would be great for combat.    

I have one well used (abused) and one unfinished one left....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             +

IMG_20230911_090925.jpg

IMG_20230911_090934.jpg

IMG_20230911_090951.jpg

IMG_20230911_090957.jpg

IMG_20230911_091012.jpg

IMG_20230911_091028.jpg

IMG_20230911_091044.jpg

IMG_20230911_091103.jpg

19 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

May I ask please, are the wings completely flat or encouraged to form an aerofoil like shape by the fuzelage ?

If not I assume the depron/foam board le and other edges rounded ?

Thanks

Hi Rich, both my Mini F22 and full size version are also just flat 5 mm foam board.

22 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

May I ask please, are the wings completely flat or encouraged to form an aerofoil like shape by the fuzelage ?

If not I assume the depron/foam board le and other edges rounded ?

Thanks

At our scales and weight Rich, Flat Plate Wings are frequently used, easy to build etc etc, and even back in the 1940s aerodynamics writings, we're highly thought of for grabbing lift and air penetration particularly because of square straight leading and trailing edges. Just watch Shockies perform at indoor flying events.

5 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

May I ask please, what prop are you using with the 2812 motor please ?

Mmmmm...not sure now, I think mine was cut down from I THINK a 7x4 to 6" diameter, that is a bit smaller than the recommended size on 2S  so it might not be the most efficient but the model isn't exactly heavy. 

Don't forget, it is a pusher so the prop is fitted backwards, if you don't do that they don't fly so good!

Item : 
EMAX CF2812 Outrunner Brushless Motor 1534KV for Rc Airplane (CF2812)

Feature:
The Emax CF2812 brushless out-runner motor is capable of producing up to 22oz of thrust and generate about 140W of power. It is suggested to use 3.5mm bullet connectors for ESC connection.

Specifications:
KV: 1600
Weight: 1.6oz (39g)
Motor Diameter: Approx. 28mm
Total Length: 47mm
Shaft Length: 17mm
Shaft diameter: 3mm
Max efficiency: Approx. 15A
Max Load: Approx. 18A

Recommended Setup:
20A brushless motor ESC
2-3S LiPO and at least 1000-1300mAh.
Prop Selection: Remember to always use props designed for electric motors, nitro props are heavier and might overload the motor.
With 3S LiPO: 7x3, 6x4 
With 2S LiPO: 9x5, 8x4
The above prop selections are recommended for sports flying at open throttle. You may use slightly larger props if you do not fly at constant open throttle.

Remark:
The pictures for reference only, Factory may be change the product design without further notification.
CF2822_0.jpg
Edited by FlyinFlynn