DL's

Chris Perkins

Before you chose a DA or DL take a look at the Area 51. I fitted one in my Pete Tindel Sukhoi and its been amazing from day 1.

take a look at this  http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/5016/V/6/SP/

I run it with a Graupner 22x8 (running in) and 22x10 prop now its dome over an hour or running. The Area 51 is turning the 22 x 10 at just over 7100 rpm.

The ignition is running off a 1300ma 4.8v NiMh pack and runs happily for 4 - 5 flights per day.

I use Halfords fully sythetic oil, and used it from day one.

You can order them from various locations, but full information is here ... 

http://www.gashanger.com/index.html

Paul who runs Gashanger is a great guy who gives great support.

Peter

Dl's They are brilliant .loads of power but do require a lot of running in. And thers a good spares back up (not that we have neede it yet) Only critisim is that the supplied muffler is noisy !. although the stud sacing is similar to all other petrol motors . If you were really picky then the machining is not quite up to DA standards but they do the job just as well. Go for it loads of power and fun for not a lot of money.

E.D.

I've a DL50 on a BCM inverted pitts in my extra, and once it's started it's terrific. Only problem I have with it is drawing fuel for the 1st start of the day but that's apparently an easy fix by re-seating the choke plate. After that it runs perfectly and turns a 23x8 at healthy revs, and it's not even run-in yet. Can't speak highly enough of it and when I got it from peakmodel.com it cost £193 delivered!

• 3 months later...
   A friend of mine has a DL50 which is fairly new.It seemed to have a lot of air leaks round the carb(Walbro) set up and the mating surfaces of  the spacers mounting the carb were not truly flat.After getting them truly flat and fitting new gaskets the engine ran better but is unreliable at the low end,often cutting out and stalling.
   Club members suspect the silencer,one has fitted a tuned pipe at considerable expense and his engine now runs well,but has anyone any helpful comments on this problem.?.How long a run in period is considered reasonable for this engine?