Covering a trainer fuselage

toto

I'm currently scouting ahead for decent videos of covering fuselages. 

The wings ..... on a basic shaped model seem reasonably straight forward but the fuselage can be by far the harder element to tackle. Where to start, where to try and hide the joins etc etc.

The model I am going to be doing my first full covering attempt on is a SLEC Sky 40 which has the benefit of a trainer type outline and shape ..... so no really awkward profiles and curves to follow.

Is anyone aware of any tutorials that specifically cover this type of model. Nit necessarily a sky 40 but a trainer type outline ?

Any pointers appreciated whilst I continue my search.

Toto

Advert

40 minutes ago, toto said:

I'm currently scouting ahead for decent videos of covering fuselages. 

The wings ..... on a basic shaped model seem reasonably straight forward but the fuselage can be by far the harder element to tackle. Where to start, where to try and hide the joins etc etc.

The model I am going to be doing my first full covering attempt on is a SLEC Sky 40 which has the benefit of a trainer type outline and shape ..... so no really awkward profiles and curves to follow.

Is anyone aware of any tutorials that specifically cover this type of model. Nit necessarily a sky 40 but a trainer type outline ?

Any pointers appreciated whilst I continue my search.

Toto

If you buy some good old fashioned Solarfilm it comes with some excellent instructions on the wrapper. Follow these instructions and you will have a nicely covered model.

Don't go anywhere near a heat gun and follow the covering iron heat settings given by Solartrim and the film won't wrinkle when you take it out to fly.

• Like 3

Just watched the Derek Hardman video from start to finish ..... boy does he make it look easy. 

I think the open frame and solid flat wing surfaces are more doable but the double curvature could take a bit more time to get the hang of. Still .... he demonstrates that it works so its just a case of rising to the occasion. ..... simples.

toto