FUTABA 6exp

Diamond Geezer

Advert

59 minutes ago, Diamond Geezer said:

Also if I take the crystal out it shows 10.3 volts with the crystal in it shows 9.6 is that right.

Probably, without the crystal it won't be transmitting, with it will so the extra power is drawing the battery voltage down a bit.

Not sure why you can't get into programming mode but make sure the gap round the push buttons is clean, it maybe that they are not fully depressing.

Because of the age of it, the switches will probably be rather tired by now.

I had one that wouldn't go into the programming.

In order to get to the switches it is necessary to strip out the transmitter as they are the first items fitted (ask he how I know !).

A real pain in the bum !

Also once you have had it apart and reassembled it what's the chance of something else not working ?

To be honest it sounds like it is time to replace it as all the other moving parts will be as equally worn. These were built for a price, and longevity wasn't a consideration.

With the price of a modern transmitter these days (particularly second hand) It's not worth the time or effort to try and repair it even if you could get replacement parts (which you can't). I sold my last one for parts (the gimbals, aerial, case and battery were sound) and put the £15.00 towards a newer tranny.

Would you trust your brand new £300.00 plus ARTF with a possibly dodgy radio ?

I know I wouldn't.

It is normal for a battery voltage to drop when under load compared with voltage at no-load or minimal load.

The battery voltage is probably correct.  With the crystal in the RF stage will be running which will place a load on the battery dropping it's voltage.

With the crystal out the RF stage won't run and there will be minimal load on the battery, so the battery will show a higher voltage.

Now you know more about the voltage drop, stop mucking about with the crystal.

Crystals are much like a lamp, with a filament, and the make and break of putting it in and out live, can collapse and break the fillament.

Crystals are quite sturdy with normal use, just don't tempt fate and enjoy the clearer airwaves