65" 109f composite build

Eric Robson

I have a Cambria models 65" span 109e which is quite old. I have a cowl off a Cemark 109  which is more like an F than an E. Using the plan for the 109e  I made up the fuselage from balsa, ply and foamboard up to the cowl. After trying the Cemark  cowl it looked awful the spinner was too small so I bought the B.Taylor plan and spinner for the 109f  which is 61" span, making the spinner under size for the 65" span I have made, but only by 3mm diameter as opposed to 14mm with the Cemark cowl. The wing ribs were enlarged on my printer and the profile reduced to compensate for the thicker foam covering.

Edited by Eric Robson
Pictures removed

Very nice build and repair Eric, can you lat us know what the ready to fly weight is on the 109 once finished, any more pictures up to now or from here on in appreciated, it gives the rest of us inspiration. I am just finishing gearing up and tweaking a 1/4 scale Flair Dr1 which i have bolted a Zenoah 26cc mag engine to, test flight waiting on the weather this end. The airframe came with the plans and build instructions so i am going to build one out of Foamboard and depron as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Futura 57, 

On the day of the Maiden it was not finished, it now has the cockpit glazing done  and a pilot in, the battery hatch is not on as I was unhappy with the fit and felt it would come off in flight, now sorted.

Now waiting for the weather to improve, which is  not happening at the moment. 

On 27/10/2023 at 12:13, martin collins 1 said:

Very nice build and repair Eric, can you lat us know what the ready to fly weight is on the 109 once finished, any more pictures up to now or from here on in appreciated, it gives the rest of us inspiration. I am just finishing gearing up and tweaking a 1/4 scale Flair Dr1 which i have bolted a Zenoah 26cc mag engine to, test flight waiting on the weather this end. The airframe came with the plans and build instructions so i am going to build one out of Foamboard and depron as well.

Hi Martin, the 109f is 5lb without the battery, the battery weighs 1.5lb. As the battery sits on the c of g next time out I will try a 4 cell pack as at the moment it has power to spare. Looking forward to seeing the foamboard Dr1.

Edited by Eric Robson
Added text
  • Like 1

On 27/10/2023 at 11:03, Eric Robson said:

The build photos were from late  August till early September then my eflightray Spitfire went in with a loss of signal due to suspect switch.  The next two weeks were taken up with the rebuild. Early Spektrum radio removed now guided with Futaba and working well

20231002_161743.jpg

20231005_161527.jpg

20231023_103555.jpg

Yes, several "old hands" say Spektrum is great for umx and park flyers, but Futaba is needed for cherished models.

• Like 1

Eric, do you leave the paper on the foam board, or is it removed. If so is it always both sides.

Is there a reason why the wing ribs are 3d printed rather than foam board?

I notice some people paper cover the bare foam as a finishing process, have you an opinion?

Hi Erfolg, on this one the bottom panel is foamboard with the paper on both sides I  formed it over the edge of a worktop, the ribs are cut from 6mm depron and not 3d printed the wing top panel is 3mm depron covered with brown paper.  Next build I will use glass cloth and varnish instead of brown paper.