Second flight of The Seagull Boomerang Trainer

aidan mcatamney

If I ever have to buy another trainer .... which hopefully I don't, it would maybe be the boomerang. However ... it would be electric. The biggest mistake I made with the Arising Star was going IC. It will be a while before I start tinkering with that again. Too much of a learning curve this early on in my flying journey. 

Toto

• Like 1

I think glow and petrol are just a little bit more temperamental. Generally, if your electrics ... battery,  ESC and radio gear are matched properly to start with, there are less chances of failures. Maybe I am a little naive. :classic_biggrin:

I'm thinking fuel blocks, contaminated fuel, blocked filters and all means of other potential issues as well as of course ... getting fuel mixes right etc. I think like anything else, initially it's a learning curve as well as just having a mechanical mindset.

I will have to conquer it at sometime but electric will do for now. My old brain hurts if I need to take in too much at any given time.:classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

I think glow and petrol are just a little bit more temperamental

They're not, but your perception is what it is. If your club does not possess the skillset to set up a glow motor, and (at some point) teach you how to do the same, then that is your problem, a lack of expertise. As has been pointed out before.

Electric can also fail, in numerous different ways to IC - as I think has also already been stated a lot of times on some of your many threads.

19 hours ago, toto said:

once you have managed to tie down your power train ...... its a done deal.

Well... as above, not really. Note, you are still very much a beginner. Come back after a few years of using both power trains and reassess, after a handful of BEC failures, motor / esc / lipo overheating issues, motor winding failures or magnet failures, poor cell performance, solder joint failures, connector issues, maybe even a lipo fire. There are many traps for the unwary in both routes. Etc. 

• Like 2