HE 162 Salamander

Maurice Dyer

I have a second hand 49 inch span Salamander, or VolksJager. 

It was originally brushed/NiCad technology, but I want to convert it to Brushless. The motor sits in the middle of the duct; 70mm fan. the efflux is 62mm.

My questions are; do I mount the new brushless in the same place, and put the inlet tube back, or do I do away with the inlet tube and mount the new fan at the front inlet and make a new longer efflux duct; and if so, what exit size of efflux ??. Looking for about the same size fan i.e. 70mm on 3 or 4s.

Regards

20231126_124634.jpg

20231126_124703.jpg

20231126_124610[1].jpg

4 hours ago, kevin b said:

I would suggest mounting the fan so as to keep th CG in the same place.

Particularly if it flew ok.

A 70mm brushless fan should be a direct replacement, but with a lot more power !

Thanks Kevin, I don't know how it flew (deceased club mate). Maybe a 64mm can would  be enough. Never flown edf before.

Albert Ace

I would strongly suggest you use a 70 mm EDF in order to keep the existing thrust tube. It is likely to be reasonably efficient as the original brushed motor would likely have had limited power. Be aware that not all 70 mm EDFs are equal. All you will need is a 'modest' power brushless one. It will probably be quite a lighter than the brushed one.

If you go for a 64mm it will need a smaller diameter thrust tube and nozzle. You can easily loose quite a bit of thrust if you get the thrust tube dimensions wrong.

Just an observation based on my planes using relatively low powered EDFs.