Michael Caine presented film on the making of Battle of Britain (1969)

leccyflyer

Just watched this Michael Caine presented contemporary documentary on the making of the finest aviation feature film of all time. It's a little light on the actual technical details, but it's an interesting watch. The late 60's style futuristic typography and some stylistic elements don;t age well, but that doesn't detract from the overall interest.

One for my fellow BoB fanatics to enjoy.

• Like 3

I'm sure that the documentary is part of the extras disc on my BoB Special Edition DVD. The DVD set also has selectable commentaries that can be played during the film and are most interesting.

I don't know about being the "finest aviation feature film of all time" - certainly one of the most influential and iconic for a whole number of reasons, despite the faults that we never really noticed back in the late '60s. Nevertheless, it's still an enjoyable couple of hours of entertainment and a chance to see real aeroplanes doing spectacular stuff that wouldn't be possible today. CGI although very clever and likely to get cleverer with time is still a poor substitute............was that a torpedo bomber seen knife edging between two US battleships in that terrible Pearl Harbor film?

I watched Tora! Tora! Tora! again on one of the TV  channels over the holidays, and in my view rates just as highly as BoB.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just been sent a link to some very interesting behind the scenes 8mm film footage which was shot during the making of Battle Of Britain. Some really interesting clips and by 'eck those folks were awfy close to those low flying Buchons at the beginning. 😮

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Yes, that was the one John - my understanding was that they had prior permission to rig an explosion in that hangar, but not to blow it up to the extent that they did.

They were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

• Haha 1