FMS Pa 18 1700mm Super Cub

Well ....

braved the shed tonight ...... and started looking at the installation of the receiver and the setting up of the system including dual rates and the Reflex system.

here is the receiver ..... a Spektrum AR 620 ..... doers not come more basic ....

P1120569.thumb.JPG.8623f2eb54671fce2aecc769dd317767.JPG

started with some cable management  .......

P1120570.thumb.JPG.9ffe6b7387b865908c29f4c006823b25.JPG

and ....

P1120571.thumb.JPG.67fd27e106a4835465f9ee22cf68fbc9.JPG

and ....

P1120572.thumb.JPG.dc9b014ccb6ce9f844767a5a0388f864.JPG

I cut the finger chopping warning label off ..... I stand informed ....

P1120573.thumb.JPG.15da5c6b09d85bf96b072904cef7abfa.JPG

plugged in the various connectors into the receiver ... checking my transmitter to ensure the connections align with the ports etc 

batt ..... empty

1. Throttle

2. Aileron

3. elevator

4. Rudder

5. Gear ..... or in my case ..... reflex 

6. Flaps

and here we are ....

P1120575.thumb.JPG.9abb38602c080cabe13c916b0ca595fe.JPG

nice and tidy ....

P1120576.thumb.JPG.e67740c17f6f06f13c3c8d6e7ab77425.JPG

battery cables etc easy to connect.

P1120577.thumb.JPG.be273f3ddcd66ae8da0069725c187f91.JPG

One yellow single cable left unconnected but tied into the rudder connection into the reflex .... this I believe is for the connection of the rudder on the floats which we ain't using so it is left on its own.

and finally .... the battery ......

P1120574.thumb.JPG.695b24da30bf871579373f0a910e44ac.JPG

I am using this 4s 14.8v 3250 mAh 50C pack. I don't have a 4s 14.8v 2200 mAh 35C that the that the destructions recommend ....... Opinions welcome on that point in particular.

Inserted the dual rates ( triple rates ) into the transmitter .... 100% .... 60% .... 40% on ailerons, Elevator and Rudder.

Set up and assigned the throttle cut switch ..... set up and assigned the reflex system to a switch as well.

all seems to work well including the reflex to the best of my knowledge. ..... this was tested by lifting the model in the air and watch it hunt on the control surfaces when moved about and on the on position. then switching between the 3 positions and testing again.  When in the off position .... the hunting stopped as it should.

happy with that.

This has only been set up on the NX8 so far and still has to be paired to the NX6 .... Thats my next move. I have this task to carry out on the Tasman and needs redone on the Domino ( since the ESC was replaced on that ) so I suspect a job lot to be done on all three at the one sitting. ..... Oh ... Joy.

cheers for now 

toto

• Like 1

No worries Steve,

I'll report back on it when the time comes. There is always the option to simply switch the reflex off if it is detrimental in any way. 

From memory, my Beaver has it as well but I'm sure my mentor at that time wanted it switched off. ( fair play ) it is maybe an obstruction to learning but I think it can have its uses. ..... horses for courses I think.

Toto

Hi Learner , that point was mentioned so I get the wisdom behind not getting used to it. It could still come in handy on a blustery day though I suppose.

I have rallied to the cry of Caveman ... 😄 who very kindly pointed out that I had the landing gear on back to front. I have just addressed that as below .....

P1120580.thumb.JPG.f63326c4688ef636b8db033d5cb8b254.JPG

The above is what I had ......

P1120579.thumb.JPG.f23c76702381436428c33aaf4f6c2677.JPG

The destructions clearly show for the above ..... how did I get that so wrong .....

P1120581.thumb.JPG.4839ad2501d36abf5ec04e8e4e45b7e7.JPG

stripped it down and reversed the main landing gear to face the other way around with the spring tensioners above the front set of fixings .....

P1120582.thumb.JPG.fea9fc5d94778d1425ee23753efb7368.JPG

back on with the springs ......

P1120583.thumb.JPG.e76a7865eefed029e35d81defbf76449.JPG

As Tommy Cooper himself would say " Just like that " ....... Job done.

Next up was to create my Operator and Flyers identification stickers for attaching to the model. ..... I know that the flyer ID is not required but I add it anyway.

Now I noted a couple of rectangular black stripes that was just crying out to house my ID numbers ..... The problem is that my dynamo machine has a black text on a clear background tape in it. ☹️

So I thought ... OK ... I just need to place it over a white area ...... but when I held it against the black ..... it actually stands out clear enough. The pictures don't do it justice .... so I just applied it there for the time being. .... As far as I am concerned .... it passes the clearly visible test .... I may be required to change it later if challenged at the field. lets wait and see.

that's all for now.

toto

P1120578.JPG

• Like 1

So .....

after dinner .... its binding the NX8 and NX6 transmitters for the buddy system.

I'm pretty confident that it should go without a hitch ..... if it does I shall do the Tasman and redo the Domino and check the Beaver.

I have had an order confirmed as shipped for the Beavers horisontal stabilisor so have went ahead and ordered dubro wheel s for it as well.

It'll be good to see the Beaver back in the air again after so long but .... however ... I'll post up the Beaver progress on its own thread nearer the time as the various parts arrive.

cheers for now

toto

Edited by toto

Does anybody know how to get the wheels off this model.

P1120584.thumb.JPG.2e03d97649762a39835c12ac113a5074.JPG

here is the rear ......

P1120585.thumb.JPG.6d587b49ef5a477e263fc2fd96575739.JPG

the front .... a bit blurred ... so ...

P1120586.thumb.JPG.059820261fd0453efa9e851aea09d793.JPG

hope thats better.

It looks like you have to poke a screw driver or something between the centre hub and the outer plastic rim. Not sure and don't want to force it ..... any idea's.

toto

Yeh, the black wheel cap needs to be prised off somehow. I drilled a small hole in mine and then used a small allen key to pull it off the hub. If you're careful there's less damage to the cap than levering it off with a scredriver or similar. See the first pic.

With the cap removed you will find the wheel retained by a circlip. This, of course, needs to be removed before the wheel can be. Then, depending on your new wheels you may have to find a new method of securing them to the axle. I used collets as seen in the second pic. The wheels are from the Hobbyking Avios Grand Tundra.

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your result.

40.jpg

65.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that kind Sir. Much appreciated.

The collet looks awkward to get into with a screwdriver but must be doable.

I am hoping for a potential maiden tomorrow as well as getting some stick time in with my trusty Domino so I'll maybe delay changing the wheels until after that in case I hit any issues. I'll report back with the results.

Toto

The Xfly Super Cub got its maiden today.

My mentor took her up and applied a bit trim ( not a lot needed ) then .... over to yours truly. I found it ha died very well and initial thoughts are that it flys better than my Domino which is my current trainer. 

It will need another couple of flights before the jury is finally in on that point. We did have 10mph crosswinds to deal with today so maybe another couple of flights in more favourable conditions will allow a fairer assessment. 

She is  certainly slower in the air and smoother into turns. No big shakes on the landing despite still having the original hard tyres fitted. A bit of a bounce but nothing to what I expected. I may leave these on for another couple of flights before changing over to the Dubro inflatables that I have bought for it.

Cheers for now

Toto 

3 hours ago, toto said:

The Xfly Super Cub got its maiden today.

My mentor took her up and applied a bit trim ( not a lot needed ) then .... over to yours truly. I found it ha died very well and initial thoughts are that it flys better than my Domino which is my current trainer. 

It will need another couple of flights before the jury is finally in on that point. We did have 10mph crosswinds to deal with today so maybe another couple of flights in more favourable conditions will allow a fairer assessment. 

She is  certainly slower in the air and smoother into turns. No big shakes on the landing despite still having the original hard tyres fitted. A bit of a bounce but nothing to what I expected. I may leave these on for another couple of flights before changing over to the Dubro inflatables that I have bought for it.

Cheers for now

Toto 

Good news Toto - Congratulations on your successful maiden. 

Thanks Steve,

Looking forward to getting her back in the air ASAP. I'm keen to try without the crosswinds. The model still seemed to handle the wind OK but on a calmer day .... I think it would just be better still.

The 3s 2200 mah batteries doesn't give you long. I had a 5 minute elarm set on it which we promptly ignored thinking we would be fine for longer. We added another couple of minutes and when I landed, I checked the batteries only to find they had been run down to 4% .... not good. So 5 minutes is  probably about right.

I'm wondering how much room I have for using a bigger battery in order to get a " comfortable " 8 minute flight ?

I did not try the 4s 3250 mah packs as I wanted to play I by the book for the first couple of flights.

I'll try the bigger battery next time.

Toto

Apologies grumpy.

The 2200mah batteries are 4s as well ...... not 3s as I stated above.

The destructions call out for a 14.8v 4s 2200 to 3200 mah battery.

I felt that the model could maybe have done with a little more oomph. A other reason to try it again without the wind maybe. Not that I want it to be super fast .... just maybe a little more fight against any wind.

My understanding is that the increase of Mah rating only gives longer flight durations but would not increase the actual power itself.

Toto

Edited by toto

Toto, I use 4S 2700's in my model and my timer is set to 10 minutes. After a flight and a while resting the lipos are at storage charge and can be safely stored until the next flying session. I try to fly mine in a scale like manner hence battery consumption is relatively low.

I think the model has enough oomph to do the basic manouvres that the full size is able to do - it's not a model to be flown aggressively, there are better options for that.

I do agrree that the model is succeptable to the wind, it has a light wing loading and the wings do catch a lot of air. It is a gem in still air!

I would definitely go for your 3250 packs, remember to check the CG. The extra weight will help give a tad more stability and increase your flight times. Start at your current 5 minutes, check the pack after flying and gradually increase the flight time until you reach a good balance between flight time and pack condition.

Have fun and report back 

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 1

There are a few of these flying at our place. I was training somebody on one yesterday. It is a well sorted, well designed model that does practically everything nicely. The 2200 batteries are a bit small. We tried those a while back and could only get about four minutes out of them without discharging them excessively. Yesterday we were using 4000 and 4500mAh batteries and they give a comfortable 7 or 8 minutes which allows for a decent lesson. Surprisingly (to me anyway) the plane still flew perfectly well. It seems very tolerant of the weight and forward CG. There are guys here flying them on 5000 and 6000 packs, although how they manage to cram them in beats me. You will enjoy flying this one Toto.

• Like 1