Original Avicraft Panic Undercarriage Wanted

GaryW

Does anyone have an original Avicraft Panic Undercarriage they don't want ,, If you have one you are willing to part with please let me know

Oh & please before anyone suggests that I try giving Avicraft a call,, I spoke to Rob @ Avicraft yesterday and he doesnt have any...

I'm particularly looking for an original panic undercarriage as shown in the picture below if anyone can help

417391199_10161608740797915_4379881107579101389_n.jpg

It's just simple bent piano wire ( probably 12SWG ) front and back, with cross pieces and hooks for the rubber bands.   Similar to other Avicraft models like Moronic and Frantic.    Easy to bend up one yourself.

1 hour ago, kc said:

It's just simple bent piano wire ( probably 12SWG ) front and back, with cross pieces and hooks for the rubber bands.   Similar to other Avicraft models like Moronic and Frantic.    Easy to bend up one yourself.

Actually the Original  Panic , Moronic, Frantic Classic & Triffik Trainer all had the same undercarriage,,, as for making one myself I don't have the the tools or vice to be able to make one @kc

A Workmate or similar makes a workshop anywhere.  A wire bender mounted on a block of wood will fit in a Workmate for this type of work. A small engineers vice mounted on a block to fit in Workmate is also handy.

But if you don't want to make your own then ask around your clubmates - someone must have a wire bender.    Probably ten minutes to bend up an u/c - about 8 minutes thinking time and 2 minutes bending!    Then you owe them a favour or a drink or two.  Amazingly there is no 'cottage industry ' making wire u/c  -yet.   Many people just replace with a fibreglass or carbon u/c.

Actually I replaced the u/c on my Moronic with a torsion bar type which is even easier to make - no soldering.  The original Avicraft u/c came unsoldered and that's why I replaced with a shorter , better looking u/c.

14 minutes ago, kc said:

The original Avicraft u/c came unsoldered and that's why I replaced with a shorter , better looking u/c.

I've had both the original Panic & Moronic kits & the 1 & 1/2 times Panic ( the BIG one ) when Avicraft made them which I bought direct from Avicraft and the u/c's were all premade and in the boxes ready to be fitted as seen in the photo below.... I know what you are saying about crabon u/c's but im one of those that rather have the original u/c on a panic not a carbon fibre one

Avicraft-Panic.jpg

Edited by GaryW

Here's the last 2 panics I had @kc  First one is my 1 & 1/2 times Panic with Zenoah 38cc petrol back in 2004 and the second was my original Panic which was rebuild from th eremains of a wreck fuselage which I totalled the plane trying to fly through a tree rather than round it about 6 years prior to its rebuild in 2012

334543_10150600242502915_1613470043_o.jpg

405313_10151205618832915_1106712903_n.jpg

377315_10151205619472915_2013916919_n.jpg

The original Panic undercarriage was 12g (in tension) at the front and 10g (in compression) at the rear. They had to be soldered by the builder of the kit. As a result many were either made back to front or just badly soldered. They should be rubber band braced for stiffness.

9 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

The original Panic undercarriage was 12g (in tension) at the front and 10g (in compression) at the rear. They had to be soldered by the builder of the kit. As a result many were either made back to front or just badly soldered. They should be rubber band braced for stiffness.

Never had to solder mine as they were already soldered and yes they were rubber band braced as u say which my piccys above do show.. it was the first incarnation of the JP ARTF Panic ( The Multicoloured One ) u/c's that had to be soldered by the builder as does their lastest version of the panic

Edited by GaryW

I’ve got this I don’t want. It’s off a modern JP Panic, unbent or damaged. The key ring on string is for the rubber band track tensioner. But, it’s in France. Getting it to the UK is a slow process this time of year, and I’m not in the UK until late spring, as the doctors have got me for some pre planned repairs. One evan had the cheek to say, “now you  are in our grip,,,,,”.

But saying that it is in the way, and I don’t think I’ll build more Panics.IMG_0370.thumb.jpeg.4e5dd1648b1b0a183c32a8fc4bec1143.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Don Fry said:

I’ve got this I don’t want. It’s off a modern JP Panic, unbent or damaged. The key ring on string is for the rubber band track tensioner. But, it’s in France. Getting it to the UK is a slow process this time of year, and I’m not in the UK until late spring, as the doctors have got me for some pre planned repairs. One evan had the cheek to say, “now you  are in our grip,,,,,”.

But saying that it is in the way, and I don’t think I’ll build more Panics.IMG_0370.thumb.jpeg.4e5dd1648b1b0a183c32a8fc4bec1143.jpeg

Thanks for the offer