DB Mighty Barnstormer

EarlyBird

It could be that the Outerzone plan (from RCModeler ) is incomplete (i.e.  does not show LE sheeting ) as it shows 1/16 capstrips to the rear of the tailplane ribs which means your ribs are correct.  The photos on the Facebook build show a partially sheeted tailplane - appears to be sheeted both sides.

The tailplane section shows top sheeting but not underneath - that's why I mentioned it the other day - it looked funny to me.   Now seems inset lower sheeting just at centre while upper surface has sheeting at front  and cap strips behind.   The facebook photos may be an illusion of lower sheeting -just a shadow.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, as it happens the tip sheet had gaps, so I dampened the top and used a covering iron on 110 deg. C and like magic the old glue had a second try when warmed up.

I am using the Peter Miller method for the leading edge.

IMG_20240211_152013.thumb.jpg.126815ce875e21f670f86b53bb8a13cc.jpg

Loads of sanding later, this is what the top looks like.

IMG_20240211_152120.thumb.jpg.bd154a6b965e9321b5b0933b2820e8f2.jpg

Having run out of enthusiasm for sanding, I am looking at the elevator construction.

IMG_20240211_152431.thumb.jpg.b295c609e6ebe6fd4f007087aa9300ec.jpg

With a 1/16" sheet top and bottom 3/8" balsa is needed for a neat fit. The plan says 1/4" sheet tapered to the TE, that's a lot of balsa going in the bin, the OZ plan says 5/16" which is even more going in the bin. Not wanting to feel guilty over the waste, and not having a Hamster, I am going to make it built up. 1/2" x 3/8" LE to start with, 1/4" ribs and extra balsa for the joiner. We will see tomorrow.

Steve 

• Like 1

Presumably built up but not sheeting the elevator? 

Instead of just a balsa block to take the elev joiner I suggest you consider a sandwich of balsa with thin ply either side of the wire joiner to avoid the joiner loosening after a while ( common problem even with smaller models )   And make provision for the joiner reinforcement to take the elev horn as well - both sides in case you use Nicks suggestion of 2 servos/ snakes.

Interesting optical illusion in that latest photo - looks like a curved LE instead of straight!

Can you confirm that the DB Sport & Scale plan shows the tailplane is sheeted only on the upper surface?   The Outerzone /RCModeler plan omits sheeting altogether  and seems like an error.  As we don't want anyone to have a tailplane failure due to such an error it needs a correction to the Outerzone plan.   I will provide that correction unless you prefer to do it yourself.  

Well the cross section at the centre seems to show sheeting but it's not shaded in on the tailplane plan like the DB Sport plan that Earlybird is using.   Capstrips are certainly shown.    A rare error in an RCModeler plan!

I reckon it's worth noting on Outerzone so that at least the next modeller can order the extra sheet of balsa.

Like I said, it's not immediately obvious but there is a long-dashed line just below the spar, along the edge of the centre section and along the edges of the cap strips. The sheeting is also shown on the tailplane cross-section.

I think it's down to how you interpret the drawing. Certainly I understand it now having seen Steve's build from the supplied parts but I probably would have missed it if building just from the plan.

• Like 1

Yes, the OZ plan is different in some ways. It looks to me that the OZ plan and article are the original design whereas my plan is a more recent kit plan possibly enlarged.

That's my thinking so if I make any changes then I am not tinkering with the original design. 🤣

Time for some hinges.

IMG_20240226_133639.thumb.jpg.2914f88967997c372d29bd36bbc84204.jpg

IMG_20240226_133739.thumb.jpg.60147b0c81f6fd204e871c8c26c65454.jpg

IMG_20240226_133827.thumb.jpg.cbef8edc05bd89dfa0004fcd951cabbf.jpgIMG_20240226_133916.thumb.jpg.e53e6151928395c17e71691a90c4a75c.jpg

Steve

Well nobody else has offered any opinions so far.....

I have never actually used those loose pin hinges as it seems to be too tricky to insert pins after building-in the hinges.   My view is that for a large model it's best to play safe with the elevator and use the larger hinges with pins already inserted.   But in either case secure the hinges with cocktail stick glued in and then snipped off (after glue dries) with nail clippers.   

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Steve,

These Kavan hinges would be fine for your model, three for each elevator half would be sufficient.

Before gluing, put a very light drop of oil on the pin and work it in, then glue the hinges with epoxy. Provided you've got some epoxy in the holes and a smear on the flanges, they won't pull out.

Once you flexed the control surface a few times and satisfied yourself that all is moving freely, leave the glue to set.     

The pins are quite easy to remove by pushing with a flat bladed screwdriver rather than trying to pull them out with pliers.

When the model is completed you can reinsert the pins or if you prefer slide a length of piano wire through them all, though this means you'll have to bend over one end and trap it in the wood.    

20240227_143827.jpg.c502a61eef7cc3961fc0185133f74b12.jpg

• Like 1