Scam Alert

I recently placed an advert in the wanted column for an engine part. After a few days I had an email from a guy saying he knew of a friend who had the said item and would be willing to sell it. After contacting said friend a deal was struck and I agreed to pay via pay pal. The strange thing was his pay pal  e mail mail address was different from the address that I was contacting him on. After a long wait said item did not arrive and my e mails are not answered.  I have contacted pay pal who are investigating.

Richard,

This very scam has been well publicised on this forum of late, I’m surprised that you hadn’t heard of it.

Here is one of the threads:

Hopefully PayPal will be able to help you, though if you paid by ‘Friends and Family’ they may not.

In theory PayPal will have bank and other details of the person you sent the money to.

The ‘seller’ wasn’t in Norfolk by any chance, was he?

Brian.

21 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Richard,

This very scam has been well publicised on this forum of late, I’m surprised that you hadn’t heard of it.

Here is one of the threads:

Hopefully PayPal will be able to help you, though if you paid by ‘Friends and Family’ they may not.

In theory PayPal will have bank and other details of the person you sent the money to.

The ‘seller’ wasn’t in Norfolk by any chance, was he?

Brian.

I wasnt aware of it. Fortunately it wasnt for much money. I am not sure where the guy lived.

13 hours ago, Richard Acland said:

I wasnt aware of it. Fortunately it wasnt for much money. I am not sure where the guy lived.

Richard, although it was a small amount of money, this scammer  has your paypal and email details, so change your password on both to something more substantial.

Once they get your details, they commence hammering away at passwords to get into accounts.

• Like 2

The scam can also work both ways. Person buys parts using PayPal , not friends and family, generally not a problem. They then contact PayPal and say item isnt as described . PayPal take back the money fto you the seller , they get a refund your stuff is gone as Pay Pal it seems are only interested in the customer and not the seller as are Ebay . Only safe way is to meet face to face and do the deal for cash. Or the old fashioned way with a cheque. Trust is a dying thing Im afraid and the scum bags that do this sort of thing ruin it for all the genuine people and seem to get away with it. 

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

Richard, although it was a small amount of money, this scammer  has your paypal and email details, so change your password on both to something more substantial.

Once they get your details, they commence hammering away at passwords to get into accounts.

changed my pay pal password as advised by pay pal.