Spartan Arrow

model-plans.co.uk  can supply the plan.

The Spartan Arrow model was designed by John Watters and he drew the plan after measuring the full-size so you know that the model is an accurate copy.

The photo is of my free flight scale model which spans 45" and was reduced from the R/C plan.  The full-size is based at Redhill, Surrey.  If you need I have detail photos I can probably send them.

Bryan Lea

041a.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the response. That is a beautiful model. By coincidence a much used 60" model has just appeared for sale on ebay. I have enquired with the seller. I am involved in an appeal to bring back a full size aircraft from New Zealand to the Isle of Wight where it was built and operated.

Rapide    I looked for the eBay model but couldn't find it.  I believe it has appeared on eBay before but got no takers.  The seller is somewhere in Essex I think.

The New Zealand aircraft is a Simmonds Spartan and not quite the same as the Spartan Arrow.  The fin/rudder shape is different and it has ailerons on all 4 wings whereas the Spartan Arrow only has ailerons on the lower wings.  I expect you knew this already Rapide.

I am an rc flyer of little knowledge so I hugely appreciate your info.  The first time I heard of a Spartan (apart from a car my sister once owned) was last week when, because ages ago I was a fundraiser for historic aircraft, I got involved in this appeal to bring a three seat version back to Sandown from NZ.  The model is still there on ebay but doesn't come up under RC model aircraft.  Try loading Spartan Arrow. Seller is in Brentwood.

I can see a seller in Brentwood with the Spartan at £75  -says its a private seller but sold 2000 items - seems more like a dealer to me.   The folding wings look as though they could be weak point and also the aileron closed loop looks a bit unusual.    It's very near to me but not a local club member as far as I know - all these models look like house clearance items rather than an enthusiast selling spare models.  There is also another seller in Brentwood with 2000 items sold in the same area with very similar wording in plane adverts.   Some 'dealers ' seem to take out the engines to sell and sell  the airframes on to others.

If you want a model just for static display it may be easier than building one.    Flying would need a lot of sorting probably and you would want to know why it's being sold!   If the seller cannot state what engine fits then avoid.

21 hours ago, kc said:

I can see a seller in Brentwood with the Spartan at £75  -says its a private seller but sold 2000 items - seems more like a dealer to me.   The folding wings look as though they could be weak point and also the aileron closed loop looks a bit unusual.    It's very near to me but not a local club member as far as I know - all these models look like house clearance items rather than an enthusiast selling spare models.  There is also another seller in Brentwood with 2000 items sold in the same area with very similar wording in plane adverts.   Some 'dealers ' seem to take out the engines to sell and sell  the airframes on to others.

If you want a model just for static display it may be easier than building one.    Flying would need a lot of sorting probably and you would want to know why it's being sold!   If the seller cannot state what engine fits then avoid.

I did send the seller an enquiry 3 days ago but got no reply. I think I'll leave it.