Making vintage type wheels

Hello guys,

Please could you give me some advice re making wheels?

I am building a Peter Rake 36 inch Fokker DR1 and need to get the wheels done. The kit (from Belair) provides for each wheel two outer ply discs and a central balsa core. I have bought some foam rubber beading which I can glue into a circle for the tyre.

The core is only 1/8 inch thick, the diameter is 2-7/8".

I imagined that I would stick the core to a side piece, stick in the tyre, then add the remaining side piece, but the dimensions of the pieces seem wrong - the core seems too thin or its diameter is too small for the tyre to fit. 

Are we supposed to make the two side pieces really pinch the tyre or should I increase the core thickness to 1/4 or so to fit the tyre nicely?

Alternatively I could get thinner tyre foam, but I think it would get hidden by the side pieces if I fitted it onto the gap provided by the side pieces and the core. 

I have searched various build threads for Peter Rake WW1 planes for clues but have not found the wheels construction covered. Thanks guys. Pics of pieces and the apparent problem attached.

bits.jpg

prob.jpg

Edited by GrahamWh
spelling

Ken Sheppard's article on making spoked wheels covers fitting the rubber tyres too - it's here and there are lots of Flying Scale Models issues online to download.

There are 3D printed wheels available but they are not cheap!

Edited by kc

I would say that the diameter of the foam beading is a little on the large side for that size of wheel, something just a bit smaller will help.

Also there is no harm in using a thicker core, or adding a second 1/8" one with the grain at 90 degrees to the first might be even better. A thicker core will also give a bit more for the axle to fit into.

You will need to glue the tyre onto the rim anyway, don't rely just on it staying in place by being stretched a little. Use contact glue (Evo Stik or similar) for this, but check it on a bit of the sponge tyre material first to make sure it isn't affected by the glue (it shouldn't be). Cyano is best for gluing the sponge into a ring.

Brian.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses guys. A second 1/8 core at 90 seems sounds good Brian. I may get a slightly thinner foam bead , but will have a go with this one first I think.

I had a look at my old tin of Evostick - a solid lump of rubber at the bottom so that needs replacing! 

Thanks for the link KC - wow loads of free mag downloads!

Thanks all,

Graham

Edited by GrahamWh