Laser G30 /180 Petrol Engine

I was considering selling my laser G30 , petrol 180.
A potential buyer said that Laser Engines stated that no more petrol engines will be built ,till further notice, and that they will no longer supporting the engine as regards servicing and parts.
Has anyone else heard of this , withdrawal of support, and does it apply to other development engines?
Bill

Comment

Edited by William Macleod
Text

Somewhat disappointing but hopefully the engine will not need any manufacturing support for many years, after all it is a Laser. Obviously that doesn’t help with its sale or its resale value! Best I look after my one.

I can confirm that Petrol development has been abandoned that the development engines sold are not fully supported for spares. 

The core engine is supported as its parts are common to the glow version. The parts that are no longer available are the bespoke petrol parts in the fuel pump and carb. 

The initial run of engines depleted my supply of pump parts. Some carb parts are left but testing revealed a need to redesign both the carb and pump as they were not as robust or consistent as i wanted. However progress was slow due to low customer interest, increasing final retail price and our work on low oil glow fuel making the project a bit irrelevant.

It is unfortunate nothing came of this project, but the engine requires far greater development time and resource than is available to get it working to my satisfaction. Also in its final form it would cost nearly 800 quid and that is simply not a good value product to sell. With absolutely no interest from customers now the whole thing has become a bit on a non starter so was abandoned.  

In the event that the pump or carb does fail the engine is not a complete loss and a glow carb can be fitted. The engine can then run on methanol with CDI. While not an ideal solution the engine would be fully functional and live a long life in that form. 

• Like 2