Experimental build - 1.7m wingspan F8F Bearcat

On 05/04/2024 at 17:20, Lipo Man said:

The spar felt very stiff and the intention was that this takes the bending loads. It feels easily capable of that. The hope was that the skin will add the torsional stiffness - and it does feel pretty resistant to twisting. With the skin glued onto the other side it now weighs 250g - so that’s 500g for a 1.7m span wing before servos are added etc. That seems pretty good to me?

IMG_5287.jpeg

Cans are earning their worth again😂! I am following with great interest..

Advert

On 06/04/2024 at 18:05, Lipo Man said:

Structure for the fuselage is underway. It’s big…

Formers are 9mm insulation foam from B&Q, and the skin will be 6mm thickness of the same stuff. The central box structure feels very stiff - I’m going to cut some holes in the rear half to help with the CG. It feels strong enough that I think I can afford to lose some material. 
The orange in the photo is for scale - we’d run out of bananas…

IMG_5290.jpeg

Looking great L-man,

I use 3mm for cladding. I find it more than enough, is easier to form, and obviously half the weight. I use bits of 6mm if I need to support to sand down to for joins, etc. That way when It's all done you can get a nice smooth finish really easily.

How are you going to join/ seat the wing? You'll need some fairly hard points if you are bolting on, and beware of the compressibility of foam. I tend to reinforce an area between the firewall and the TE with 1/32 ply so I can support a reasonable wing seat, and have something to key in a wing bolt plate and LE dowel plate. This also adds strength to the motor mount. Otherwise, glue the wing on and you won't need to worry!

Graham

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Looks like your cladding is sagging between formers LM I get over this with stringers, either 1/4" sq balsa or 6mm x 12mm foam pieces between the formers. I used both on my Bf 109f 20230808_170034.thumb.jpg.a6c38209becc8673f0cb61e67b9fe228.jpg

20231026_232741.jpg

I may do the same. Everything is just taped up temporarily at the moment, and I’m going for cartoon scale only. I’ll try another balsa bird when I’m ready to do something fancy again!  This build is only intended to have a short lifespan, as I may need the motor for something else if the Warbird Replicas factory puts another shift in…

• Haha 1

Have finally got back to the Bearcat, and all the fuselage skins are roughly cut out. I will fine tune them to fit more precisely when I glue them in place, but I need to sort out the wing/fuselage fixing method first. It’s looking pretty big, but the motor is huge so I’m not currently worried. 

IMG_5440.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

• Like 3