FrSky R6 MINI E firmware update Universal ACCST

Stephen Jones

Just a thought - some receivers have trouble binding if the Tx is close. Might be worth a try moving the Tx a few feet away when binding.

Is there a possibility of an FCC/EU-LBT issue. ?

I would presume the Rx, if new, would normally be a V2 / LBT version.

And usually there is a label on the box showing this.

Edited by John Wagg

45 minutes ago, John Wagg said:

Just a thought - some receivers have trouble binding if the Tx is close. Might be worth a try moving the Tx a few feet away when binding.

Is there a possibility of an FCC/EU-LBT issue. ?

I would presume the Rx, if new, would normally be a V2 / LBT version.

And usually there is a label on the box showing this.

I did try moving my Tx further away no use. So I guess it would be V2 / LBT but no info in that regards.

My Radio FW is opentx-x9d+ V 2.2.3 don't really want to update it and lose connection to all my existing receivers.

• Like 1

Under the heading for FrSky Archer receivers on T9’s website, there is a note stating that they only work with V2 ACCST, see below:

520DDDB9-26C4-4C7A-B6FB-0CF4A7E8DA58.thumb.png.b4e80e01dd846d05e23cc71147017479.png

This suggests that you can’t flash these receivers with the older ACCST V1 firmware.

As you don’t want to update the version of ACCST on your tx to V2 (it has nothing to do with the version of Open TX by the way) this means these receivers won’t work with it.

One thing you could do is to install an FrSky XJT module in the external port in the back of your Taranis and use this to operate these receivers. A new XJT module would be V2 LBT if bought from T9 (though they are out of stock at the moment). This would not affect any of your other models which would continue to use the internal transmitter module.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

I think T9 get their receivers "bare", ie with no firmware installed, and then flash them with whatever the customer orders. It could be that yours have slipped through the net and haven't had any firmware installed at all.

Happened to me a while ago. A quick phone call to T9 should confirm this. I already had the firmware, so I just flashed it and all was well.

--

Pete

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

I think T9 get their receivers "bare", ie with no firmware installed, and then flash them with whatever the customer orders. It could be that yours have slipped through the net and haven't had any firmware installed at all.

Happened to me a while ago. A quick phone call to T9 should confirm this. I already had the firmware, so I just flashed it and all was well.

I don’t think this is the case with the Archer receivers (see my post above).

There is no ACCST firmware available in the downloads section of the FrSky website for these receivers, not that I can find anyway. The only firmware seems to be ACCESS firmware, which also gives ACCST support but presumably only V2.

As Peter says, probably best give T9 a call or an e-mail.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm… not sure why that should be, I thought there was only one version of D8. I must admit, I’ve not used D8 at all, only V8 (the original FrSky protocol) and then D16.

Anyway, D8 won’t help you with your new receivers, as they will be D16.

Brian.

Steve, further to my previous postings, I have just done a bit of experimenting.

I have some X8R receivers that I have flashed with Mike Blandford’s excellent UNI firmware. One of the additional benefits of doing this is that the firmware comes with a LUA script file called UNI Stats. Running this when the receiver is bound to a transmitter tells you, amongst other things, the exact protocol that the tx is using (ie V1 or V2, EU(LBT) or FCC). Brilliant!

Using this I have ascertained that (1) the internal RF module in my tx is V1EU (I did already know that) and (2) that the multi protocol module I have fitted has the facility to be set to all four combinations of D16 protocol, ie V1FCC, V1EU(LBT), V2FCC or V2EU(LBT).

I have just bound the same receiver to each of the four combinations in turn and it works fine on any.

Therefore, your new receivers will work with the MPM. You set the required protocol on your tx screen. D16 is V1, D16-2 is V2, then select either D16 or EU in the secondary menu.

If your MPM is old and doesn’t have the D16-2 option then you’ll need to update it’s firmware version.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Steve, further to my previous postings, I have just done a bit of experimenting.

I have some X8R receivers that I have flashed with Mike Blandford’s excellent UNI firmware. One of the additional benefits of doing this is that the firmware comes with a LUA script file called UNI Stats. Running this when the receiver is bound to a transmitter tells you, amongst other things, the exact protocol that the tx is using (ie V1 or V2, EU(LBT) or FCC). Brilliant!

Using this I have ascertained that (1) the internal RF module in my tx is V1EU (I did already know that) and (2) that the multi protocol module I have fitted has the facility to be set to all four combinations of D16 protocol, ie V1FCC, V1EU(LBT), V2FCC or V2EU(LBT).

I have just bound the same receiver to each of the four combinations in turn and it works fine on any.

Therefore, your new receivers will work with the MPM. You set the required protocol on your tx screen. D16 is V1, D16-2 is V2, then select either D16 or EU in the secondary menu.

If your MPM is old and doesn’t have the D16-2 option then you’ll need to update it’s firmware version.

Brian.

Forgive me what's MPM ?

Maybe my D8 would not bind on the external module as it reports that the receiver is already in use.

Edited by Stephen Jones
Text

MPM is Multi Protocol Module.

I suspect that you are trying to bind that D8 receiver with both the internal and external RF modules at the same time. Make sure you have set the internal module to ‘off’ before trying to bind it to the external MPM.

I’m assuming that you are only trying to bind the D8 rx as a test? It’s the D16 mode that you need for your new receivers. D8 won’t work with those, as both I and Philip have already said.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

You don’t need to do that. You could leave everything as it is, then operate your new receivers using the MPM set to D16 V2EU (probably).

I just found a D8 receiver, it binds to either my internal RF module or my external MPM, but it can’t bind to both at the same time, as would be suspected.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Jones said:

Maybe my D8 would not bind on the external module as it reports that the receiver is already in use.

In the module section of the transmitter setup, one of the variables is the receiver number. This is a number that you set for each receiver so that the transmitter can warn you if you have the wrong model selected. This also clearly means that you cannot use the same number for different receivers - or different Tx modules using the same receiver. That is what the message is trying to tell you.

Simply choose another number that is not already in use, and you should be good to go.

If you set the number to zero, then this safety feature is turned off. You could try that for experimental purposes, but don't make a habit of using it!

• Thanks 1

On the MPM, try FrSkyX2 LBT(EU). That will set the RF output to V2 LBT, which is most likely what your new receivers are.

See photo which is on my tx (an X12S), it might appear a little different on the normal Taranis tx.

021558F9-84B6-4466-A0F2-9D1A46C2C408.thumb.jpeg.188623426727a0d7eab1078d6866f684.jpeg

If that doesn’t work, try FrSkyX2 D16, that sets it to V2 FCC, but it’s more likely to be the EU one that you want.

Just to be sure, this is for binding with your new Archer receivers in ACCST mode. Not your old D8 receivers.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

Steve, my MPM has a lot more makes and protocols than yours is showing. Yet mine has an earlier version number (V1.3.2.86) than yours.

Is yours the JP 4 in 1 module (label on mine in picture)?

7A0D3CF5-5734-4797-847E-21EB41833A07.thumb.jpeg.d852aa3682eb145ffd465e6d634ab36a.jpeg

I know there are other versions of the module, perhaps there are differences.

The list of available protocols is on this site (you need to scroll down for the list):

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/Protocols_Details.md

I’m not sure how that helps you much I’m afraid.

Brian.

Steve, my tx has Open TX version 2.3.11 as opposed to your version 2.2.3.

I would guess that somewhere between these two versions, extra support was included for the MPM to cover the extra protocols that the module now has. Your version of Open TX doesn’t have the full ‘library’ of protocols.

There is a way of manually loading a protocol if it isn’t listed on your tx. You use the custom entry (under Multi) and enter the protocol number (64 for FrSkyX2), then the sub-protocol (2 for EU LBT). This is described on the github page under ‘Serial Mode’, just above the ‘Protocol Table of Contents’

A bit complicated to try to describe…

This is what it says…

• If still not listed, use the Custom entry along with the protocol and sub_protocol values indicated by the italic numbers under each protocol. You'll find a summary of the protocols and numbers to use in table below.

Brian.