A starters view on slope soaring.

Fed up with difficult access to the Hexham Field due to Northumberland bearing the brunt of supplying the North East with water in 2008, Sadfly and Flygeek decided to try slope soaring. Now this decision is not taken lightly, slope soarers are a known wild race which doesn’t take to strangers easily! They are fiercely protective of the secrets of their dark art, but the intrepid duo managed to gleam that you require 2 things - a slope and an airframe.

A kind farmer allowed them access to a slope overlooking Hadrians Wall. If nothing else, this was going to be an attractive walk. Sadfly already had an Easy Star in an attic ready for revival and keen to avoid any cost, this would do. On the basis that it would be easy to repair when inevitably broken, an Easy Glider was purchased by Flygeek.

After much exhaustive research the intrepid duo learned that after reaching the top of the slope, the gliders, in our case the Easy Star (which was both) and the Easy Glider (which was neither), were to be thrown off. If the wind is in the right direction, the models fly upwards and backwards. Actually, the Easy Star penetrated the light Northumberland breeze (40 mph) and was happily flying in a most lively fashion along the slope. 40 minutes later when Flygeek had returned from retrieving the Easy Glider from the valley behind, it was doing some nicely controlled aerobatics.

So, the pair learned that you actually need 3 things, ballast being the 3rd! The Easy Star with it's sub C cells was perfect, but the Easy Glider needed the insertion of a 6mm threaded rod into the wing spar. Now fully ballasted, the Easy Glider was able to stay in the lift along the slope but with it's tail twisting alarmingly in the 40 mph winds, control was occasional and hopeful rather than accurate.

It was at this point they discovered the major problem that slope soarers don't tell you about! Watering Eyes! Was this from staring in manic concentration into a gale? No - it was from the manic laughter that slope soaring induces. Do try it.

Advert

Nice write up My dad (still) flies full size gliders and made my bro and I scale Capstan and K-13 RC models to throw off the field edge. In a westerly they just came back at windspeed + 10! Any other wind we'd be running down the valley after them.

That was 25 years ago. Doesn't sound like much has changed!

• 2 weeks later...
Come on Lee if you're going to tread the Orme at least get the local landmark names correct it's Anglesey, Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr to you some say you can even see Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch on a clear day Was up there yesterday with Timbo and iawnski and there was a white capped Snowdonia in the background to boot As I left Timbo and Iawski at the lip to walk back to the car park there was much banging of foam on foam and much joyous laughter as they indulged in some combat and I headed home in search of some cyno

hello clive--live not far from you(blyth) after a lifetime flying decided to try slope soaring proper for the first time in 08--one of the lads in our club is allways away sloping so he has been keeping us right reguarding where to go and when to go-we have been flying up on the craggs at alnwick and he also go'es up to wooler in the foothills of the cheviots-one of his friends is flying a 8.om(24ft) glider up there.also if the wind is north easterly we fly off the cliffs at the sea front--must admit when we first tried the sloping it was a totally new aspect of our hobby(no engine on the front to get out of trouble)

ken anderson

Ulti I aint bothered by actual names, You all totally got what I meant so the names I placed did there job, I dont come on here because I enjoy the english language I do cos I is likin the flyin stuff kk.

Lee

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/DSCN0648.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/tragisnow1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/DSCN0566.jpg[/IMG]

Hi All

So it's a 6 mm rod on the easy glider, not the 8mm the manual said and didn't fit !!
Got to admit it was fun at the weekend I was on the flat but it was gale force (20+ according to the weather bods) and that was fun with no ballast.  It tested my limited skills to the limit.

Going to find a 6mm rod, a big hill and some wind and try again.

Ken, I'm from Cumbria and was in your neck of the woods at the weekend (Ashington).  Are there any decent coastal slopes nearby? These easterlies are tempting me to pop over........

While I'm typing, just thought I'd raise the profile of Copeland Model Clubs Coastal Slope Fly-In on 23rd May.
Full details can be found by visiting http://copelandmodelclub.org,
or by e-mailing [email protected].

Information is also on the BMFA's events pages, and also modelflying.co.uk's events pages.

Clive, Hexham aint that far away.......

Shaun

hello shaun--we fly at a place called seaton sluice if the wind is north/north easterly - if the wind is southerly we go to a place called notts flats at north shields-last time i was there ---there were brass monkeys looking for welders!--had a look at copeland web site--you have sure struck gold with your site.

ken anderson..........................

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I hadn't been paying attention!

I've just got back from an aborted slope session, 35mph plus just a bit much at this stage of my development.

James - sorry, it is 8mm threaded rod as per the manual which I used. This is readily available (astonishingly so) at exactly the right length, I bought mine from a local agricultural merchant. It fits perfectly into the wing spar. I've cut mine in 2 and use 2 lengths of dowel to give me the option of no ballast, half or full. It does reduce the aileron response and I use quite a bit more rudder to turn when ballasted.

Ken thanks for that info. Just recently, the prevailing westerlys having been very absent. The option of both another wind direction, coupled with a visit to the seaside (keep the family happy) is well worth thinking about. Presumably if the northerly is good, you can collect your glider from St Mary's Island when the tide goes out?

Shaun, 23rd of May inserted in diary. Don't know yet whether I'll be forced to work that day but if not....... see you there.

I've not been particularly impressed with the Easy Glider although it is probably ideal for someone such as me with lots of flying experience but zero slope hours. It is certainly not easy to fly at the slope, although careful setup has made quite a difference. Another Hexham member who has been enticed to climb hills bought a Ripmax Stargazer 2

at a very low price from rcmodelcentre in Cumbria. This flys very well (dare I say an ARTF Middle Phase) and looks a lot better than its picture suggests (the decals are supplied separate). I would say that this is a far better starter model; however it probably won't last as long!

I've recently converted to 2.4 GHz. As a fully paid up cynic, I expected little difference apart from less wind resistance from the aerial, on our slope we often resemble anglers with a large catch! How wrong I was, there is a very noticeable difference in response. Even a very average club flier (me) can see the improvement. Anyone want some 35 MHz receivers?

I have a Ripmax Stargazer 2 and it is a great model especially when you consider the price.  It seems very well built and it makes a really nice change to see proper iron on covering used as opposed to the more common 'sticky back' covering which is often used on ARTFs, this makes repairs a lot easier, incidentally in case you ever need to repair one profilm is a perfect colour match.  A friend of mine has just finished a Middle Phase so it will be interesting to compare the two and see how they compare.