Like TSR2? Watch this

winchweight

Re British engines; I believe they did the same for the Apache Longbow and the result was a marked improvement in the climb/speed performance.
But the tale has a depressing ring to it. I believe that seven Chinooks a still laid up as the MOD wanted non standard software resulting in a square peg/round hole situation. Millions spent and still yet to fly.

Advert

There was a programme on BBC2 a couple of weeks back where they showed the Chinook conversions taking place at last. They are, to all intents and purposes, gutting the airframes and starting again.

Leaving aside the criminal waste and incompetence of the politicians and the MOD, the guys doing the work seemed incredibly well-motivated and determined to get the aircraft in service where they are needed as soon as possible.

Pete

The Chinook saga is indeed a sorry tale. The seven Chinooks were different than the others in RAF service because they had computerised Fully Automatic Digital Engine Control (FADEC). When they were bought someone in MOD procurement forgot to order the FADEC software and without it the helis are useless. So the MOD decided to write its own version but Boeing woudn't co-operate so the Chinooks sat in a hangar for years. Finally as you say they are being reverted to standard non-FADEC Chinooks which could have been bought at a fraction of the cost and be in service where they're desperately needed, in Afghanistan. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted by Eric Bray on 21/01/2009 18:29:41:
There is/was a TSR2 at Duxford. When I saw it, it was semi-dissembled, and under
renovation.

When I saw it back in the 70's it was still airworthy. The squadron I was on (43F) was
doing a display there and one of the Duxford mechanics tried to swipe a brake-chute from us to see if it would fit in the TSR-2

Happy memories.