Suggestions for Peter Miller plans

Fanyak

Dear Peter,
I would like to suggest about the design of some planes never seen in plans or kits but very beautiful in my opinion, these are:
Yakovlev 12, Yakovlev 18 T and Yakovlev 52. Yes, as you can see I love Yakovlev planes, they are rare and different in its design but maybe it can be what make them so special.
I know you are a very prolific designer, that is why I dare to suggest it. Sorry if I have annoyed you. I would like you to answer me.
Many Thanks.

Leo.

Advert

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have often looked at the Yak 18. I may get round to it one day. I did a nice control line version about  30 years ago and have looked at it from time to time when looking for a new design..

I think I have some information on the YAK 12, I did have a Russian magazine with good 3 views and I also had a Polish booklet on the plane, Not sure if I still have them though.

The trouble is that I really only build models that I like at the time. I have to want tyo build that particular aircraft right then. This means that at the momnent they don't excite me but one day when I am looking for inspiration I might suddenyl say "That's the one now"

The other suggestion is this, why not design one yourself. My series on designing could start you on the way. After all, the Yak 12 is very easy to do, a box fuselage with some stringers and a plank wing.

THink, You could make a nice sum of money if the plan is accepted by RCM&E.

• 4 months later...
My favourite in the series is the early 18 with the blister cowl. I did one as a control line stunter for Aeromodeller many years ago. I wanted to do it scale, they wanted the stunt version. It didn't last long in the plans range. I still have superb Polish scale drawings of this aircraft

I also did a control line version of the 18 PM, never sent the plans in.

• 5 years later...

Hei Peter,

I was looking for a VAN's RV8 to build, either scratch or from a kit, and in that process came over your RV3 that was published in RCME November 2010.

That design is 45'' in span if I am not mistaken. I assume it would not be too difficult to scale up to about 60'' span, which may make it suitable for a 5S electric setup.

Would it be possible to get the drawing from you by file? I have access to a plotter that can plot A0 format which would make it easy to scale up.

Regards, Lucas Hofman

I ordered a back copy of the magazine (November 2010), so I have the 45'' version drawing. What would you change (dimension wise) if you where to scale up the model to 1/4 scale (which would make it rougly 60'' in span)?

If all lineair dimensions go up by a factor of 1.3 will all area's go up by a factor 1.7 and all volumes (weight) by a factor of 2.2. What does that means for spars, skin thicknes etc?

On the other hand is electro drive kinder to an airframe as i.c.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, The areas do go up by 1.7 times.

Now, materials sizes do not need to be increased, especially for electric power. YOu could either use hard 3/32 for the sides or medium 1/8. I would stick with the 3/32" myself for electric power.

Spar sizes can stay the same as the wing is over strong anyway, the same with wing sheeting.

You could even use 1/4" sheet tail surfaces but just make them out of hard balsa. The other alternative would be medium to soft 5/16" sheet (Available from SLEC.)

Electric power doesn not suffer from the same vibrations that an] engine produces.

As a result you could even end up with a lower wing loading than my original

Hope this helps

Peter, what is the diameter of the propeller on the fullsize? With electric power one has much freedom in choosing the motor to achieve a scale propsize. I think I found 77 inch somewhere but that seems very big. (Would result in a 15 or 16'' prop on a 1/5 scale).

Regards, Lucas

By the way, have there been many planes build from the plan in the November 2010 issue? There are not many build blogs.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 22/04/2015 09:32:44

At least one full size RV 8 has a 3 blade prop, so for true scale maybe you need a 3 blade? The photo I found of Dave Stevens' RV8 has a 3 blade. A Google search for Dave Stevens+ RV8 produces lots of photos so estimating prop size by comparing to other items should be near enough for a model. Possibly not worth worrying about prop size as long as it works with the motor!

Nearly all RV3 have a 2 bladed prop. Quite big looking at the pictures. A google search on RV-3 propeller results in a 70'' prop for a Lycoming O360 engine. on 1/5 scale this becomes a 14'' prop. on 1/4 scale 17''.

16x12'' will do fine for a 1/4 scale with a 5 cell setup and a 410kv motor according to MotorCalc.

By the way, There is an excerllent book, "Chasing the Morning Sun" By Manuel Queiroz, Published byGrub Street

describing his solo flight round the world from Gloucester. In an RV6.

Details all the enginnering mods etc and then the flight.

One small item, the difference between the American air traffic control treats him a the UK ones. Ah well, the Americans are very air minded.

ISBN-13 9781908117090

The RV 8 is of course larger and has a span of 24 ft so quarter scale would be 6ft span. RV3 span is 19 ft 11 inch so quarter scale at about 60 inch makes a handy model size. Presumably Lucas has moved to an RV3 now.

I wonder if the apparent lack of models to Peter's design is because although an open cockpit is easier to build it does not look like a typical RV3! If there were a canopy moulding available it might be more popular. And of course that's the usual problem when enlarging plans - you need to source a canopy or make your own.