Prop Removal Help

Delta Whiskey

I have what looks like an OS 52 FS fitted in a Super Chipmunk I brought recently, and I wanted to remove the cowl to check on the engine, and lenghten the fuel filler tube, but I cannot seem to get the prop off !

It has a locking nut that screws inside the main nut, the locking nut comes undone easily enough, but if I try to undo the main nut, the engine turns over as I can see the spindle turning. I've tried putting the locking nut back on, and but the spindle will still turn.

Any ideas, or is it a duff engine giving little or  no compression to resist agaisnt ?

Advert

Your engine is probably fine. You need to lock up the engine some how. You could try taking out the glow plug and putting a piece of wood through the plug hole the resist the movement of the piston. But be careful not to use too much force in case you damage something or break the wood inside the engine. You can buy specially made tools to lock up the engine but try the wood first. The nut should come loose quite quickly, hold the prop and the spinner back plate with one hand and turn the nut with the spanner in the other.

Hope this helps

Before you start stuffing bits of wood anywhere, slipping prop nuts usually respond to holding the prop with one hand, putting a well fitting (preferably ring) spanner on the nut (steady the spanner with a spare finger) and giving the spanner a sharp tap with something reasonably hard and heavy...

This is quite a common problem with cheap hard plastic spinners.

Must agree  with Martin --Destroy the prop if you have to if shock treatment doesn't work -BUT It should ---Cheaper than engine internals I'm sure   Think of the stresses you could cause inside that beautifully made engine ! compared with another prop ?
Myself I have a few "pullers "I've made for exactly this sort of situation .The prop boss was probably not drilled correctly and over time under compression has "grown" onto the propshaft .

If you do need to 'lock' the engine, it is much better to flood the cylinder with fuel than sticking things through the plug hole, exhaust  on a two stroke etc. This spreads the load across the whole piston surface. You shouldn't need too much force to undo the nut & better than pliers on the prop driver etc.

Right, I've tried shock and force and managed to shift it almost to the end of the shaft, even with two of us, one levering two flat head screwdrivers forcing the prop forward, the other holding the prop still while using the spanner, but it's stuck there! (remember the lock nut you can see at the front does come off so it's not the thread!

I tried more shocks, but it will still not budge, and I'm worried I may bend or damage the shaft! I think I'll try to flood the engine next after warming up, it cold in my garage!

It is quite simple if you have done it before.

You need a sharp cold chisel.  Put one flat of the nut on a solid surface, eg a vice., and hit in the middle of the opposite face with the chisel to cut through.  You do not need to go right through as the nut will split and you can then unscrew  it.  Take care not to cut the thread.

If you are unsure try your local garage and they may do it for you

Update and successful removal !!

I brought a nut splitter from Halfords...........but.......

......... none of you came up with this idea!! .......A  friend come round helping with my heli rebuild, and he said while looking at the stuck prop "have you got any string?"

Next to us in the garage was an old boot, so we pulled out the lace, wrapped it a few times around the shaft behind the prop, wrapped the two loose ends around a spanner, twisted it taunt, and pulled forward while undoing the nut with another spanner, and hey presto......it worked !

One for the archives I think !!

I will return the unopned nut splitter and get my £10 back !

Thanks, seems the boot lace was tight enough to stop the shaft turning while we undid the nut.

I will lenghten the filler tube, and connect the tank back pressure up to the exhaust, as it appears it was not configure this way.....and  see if she will fire up! (in between sleet, snow & rain showers that is !)
Fingers crossed!

A hydralic lock will lock any engine enough to remove the most stubborn nut. Just remove glow plug turn engine to the bottom of its compression stroke and fill the cylinder with engine oil . Replace plug and undo nut . itsabit messy but wont damage your engine like puting wood etc the the plug hole . The article in rcme about a piston stop tool is great for two strokes if the plug screws down vertically onto the piston but F/S plugs usually screw in at an angle to the piston and any tool screwed into the plug thread to stop the piston will seriusly damage the engine. Glad you mamaged to undo it . make sure the shaft is clean then lightly oil the thread before fitting a new prop.
E.D.