Little Lewis (was Miss Lizzy)

Thought i would start a blog just to try and keep me in focus otherwise this project will go by the wayside.  Started about three weeks ago and am making slow progress, what with other models needing TLC and flat decorating, my activity has been in the evenings only. I have also named it after my grandson as it is being built for him as another reason for completing.

So far I have found scratch building a super challenge as it makes you use your noodle.  You also have the option to change things about  to suit yourself or the materials to hand.

Have started to build the wing and I am not sure how to operate the ailerons.   The plan shows a central servo but I need advise as to how the push rod/servo should be fitted.  My alternative is to fit two servos and here I am needing advise as to what size to fit.

Please feel free to comment in anyway  as I am open for any advise or, if you also want more detail as hopefully I can get some feedback.

Please also be aware I am working within my capabilities.  I have looked at the Miss Lizzies posted and am in awe.  If I can get near that standard I will be more than chuffed.

Some photos of progress

Advert

Just an update of tonights slow progress.  Beginning to look like a wing but don't look to close.

Clicked on a Peter Miller photo and found a link as to how to resolve my servo linkage problem.  Dead simple and grateful that this info available.

Will keep posting until your are bored

Hamish,

Looks like I have serious competition here,keep up the good work and enjoy,she flies like a dream and gets the eye quite a lot at the patch.

Best model Peter has come up with in my opinion ,a word of warning,do not fit a plastic Blob as a pilot coz the female forumites will be after you.

Jim

hello hamish--squadron leader anderson here----feel free to fit a well painted plastic blob me old son--make sure you've got a canny fan on the front-in case you are set on by any of the latex lump's-with there electric fan's in front of them--don't stoop as low as J.C and put in doll's that have been kidnapped out of the kid's pram's................

bit of fun ken anderson....................(who look's like a plastic painted blob....)..

• 3 weeks later...
Well I don't no if its a disaster or not.  Have got the wings nearly completed and started on the Fuz.  Made former F1 > F5, the two sides and are currently sticking them in place.  It struck me that this is going to be a tidy little model.

Experimenting with Adobe, I at last find out how to print off sections of the drawing.  I now discover that the print shop reduced my file to 75% in order to fit the paper.  This is really going to be a petite little lady!

My concern now is will it fly and will the OS 30 Max I have be a bit to powerful?  Are there any precautions I should take?

There is one major positive.  I found my Magnattila a delight to fly and was an excellent trainer. I have been gathering bits to replicate her including a nice chrome cowl.  I now find I have advanced a bit and would need something a bit more acrobatic and a 100% Miss Lizzy will just do dandy, with the cowl fitting perfectly  along with a Saito 45 I have renovated.

Need to stop flying and get building

Though I could edit last posting but alas no.  A change bug?

Getting real confused.  In my experiments with Adobe I am getting plans of a really big model with a huge wing. When i measure the wing I have made it is about 50", the designed size, which then suggests the plans are ok.  The fuz is about 30" long from firewall to end, which I need some guidance on.

I note when I print in Adobe at 75% in the print guidance it shows 98% but when I print a 100% copy size  it shows 125%.

Any information gratefully received

"hello hamish--squadron leader anderson here----feel free to fit a well painted plastic blob me old son--make sure you've got a canny fan on the front-in case you are set on by any of the latex lump's-with there electric fan's in front of them--don't stoop as low as J.C and put in doll's that have been kidnapped out of the kid's pram's................

bit of fun ken anderson....................(who look's like a plastic painted blob....).."

Hamish, keep up the good work there. It looks like you're moving along at a great rate to me.

I also built Miss Lizzy as my first ever plan build and I'm pleased to say that she's an absolute gem to fly. It was also my first low-winger. I'm running mine on an OS 32F and I reckon it's a perfect match. With all the extra framework to make up the round fuse it ends up quite a heavy little beast for its size so I don't think an OS 30 will be too big.

With the OS32F on the front it does nice big loops from level flight but is certainly no 3D job. Vertical performance is not too bad but it comes to a stop eventually.

I've got some pics in my photo library of the finished product. Stay with it because I'm sure you'll enjoy the end result. In my opinion (and obviously Jim Carrs' too!) Mr Miller has done a wonderful job with this design.

Hamish,

Miss Lizzy is an updated version of Peters Tequila Sunrise and he had a small diesel fitted,
( I still have the original mag.with the picture.),He then revamped the Sunrise to hide the silencer in the fuz and he called it Miss Lizzy .

When I built the Sunrise I  fitted an  Irvine 46 and it was magic,all my Lizzies have had 46 power except the 72" which had Ivine 61 and flew just as well,My latest one has the same old Irvine 61 and is just waiting fot a test flight.

Your 30 engine will do just fine but I feel sure after a few flights you might be thinking  of upping the power.

I have often looked at it and thought it would make a cracker Biplane,identical wing on top,would look like a Stearman ??.
If Peter reads this he may consider it for a future project  ( I hope )

Keep at it and keep us posted.

Jim.

Ps ,this is the Sunrise scaled up to 72"

Just found this by luck, normally it would be in the Peter MIller plans thread.

You look as if you are doing a very good job on it.

I have my plans photocopied on AO size sheets, this is better than your print shop which seems to have scanned and then printed.

The original model was Tequila Sunrise, about 36" span of a 1.5cc (.09) diesel, That flew really well. A 30 will probably be OK for your model as the old OS 30 wasn't very powerful, I always called it the poor man's four stroke.

My Miss Lizzy is still being flown most weekends by a club member who loves it.

I can email files of the original two sheet plan as a point of interest.

Shaun   Thanks for the info.  Your model looks good and I am delighted she flies so well.

I am trying to include many photos of my build to assist others, however may I assure you I am not an experienced builder and the photos hide a multitude of rather untidy construction practices,.  The purest will have a fit but to the novices you can get a satisfactory job. 

I find I am studying photos of complete models in an attempt to find out how certain items were done. My recent problem is the cowl.  I have purchased a nice shiny one but it is to small so I will make a balsa version and am constantly on the look out for a former, any suggestions? 

Thanks Peter for your info.

You had previously emailed the plans to me and these are what are being used.  I think I am just creating problems for myself by not understanding Adobe.

If I have this in the wrong forum, perhaps a mod can move.

Jim,

Yes, a biplane would be fine. I would increase the tailplane area a bit. I would proably use 1/8" X 1/2" dural cabane struts as used on the Barnstormer design for simplicity.

As Miss Lizzy seems to be expremely popular you could offer the conversion as an article to RCM&E. You have my full permission to do so.

Rigth, Hamish, For your cowl, look for a paint tin or other tin the right size and wax it. Wrap a strip of 1/64" ply round it, then wrap  as strip of 1/8" balsa round, with the grain across the narrow dimension, Follow that with another strip of 1/64" ply.

When the glue has dried cut the ends off the tin including the flangesand you should be able top slide the cowl off. If it won't slide just collapse the tin inwards, easy because
there are no ends

Fit inner ply ring and nose ring form 1/2" balsa.

• 5 months later...