Transmitter dual rate switches

weasel

Advert

My logic is the opposite as with my transmitter the switch looks neutral in the up position, so I switch down to 'switch on' dual rate. My undercarriage switch is up for up down for down... I better be quiet now before I confuse myself. Probably what is more important than which way is which is to be sure you know where the switches are so you can find them when flying, I find it harder than I thought it would be.

I fly a PA-28 Doug.... it's the other way around its up for off and down for on  Most American planes are like that.. I'm going to have so much fun converting to Chipmunks, the throttle will be in the wrong hand also

As said with tx it really doesn't matter, are you turning on low rate or turning on high rate? It is whatever works to the user and I've yet to hand my tx to anyone else. To me as a fairly new model pilot, seeing the switch down means dual rate on and catches my eye - I know it will respond faster, where as the 'normal' setting is up or neutral meaning it will be low rates and easier to handle.

Presume you guys, and gals, are using computer radios and still don't use steam powered ones like my Futaba Skysport  6 where up is full rates and down is low. As far as I know this is non adjustable but then again it took me five years to find out that the headlights on one of my previous cars were adjustable from the dashboard.

Might be why some see it the other way around to me Andy if they have been flying for longer than I have. On my DX7 I just set the %age travel at whichever switch position is selected, so never really gave it any more thought. I just find it easier with so many switches on the tx to have all neutral as the 'safer' setting, any operated switches indicating faster rates, or that something is dangling down!

I seem to be the only one (so far) who has the Rate switches set the other way.
Mine are set down for high rates and up for low rates.

My reasoning for this is that when the switches are thrown towards the sticks, it "tightens" everything up.  And when they are thrown away from the sticks, it loosens the controls. 

But as has already been said, it is just a matter of personal choice.  There is no hard-and-fast rule for it.

B.C.

I don't know Doug, all these switches, I just remember my instructor always moaning that everything was back to front in the PA-28, he trained on Chipmunks and later flew Tridents, so I trust that he was right that it was the opposite sense! Though I'm now begining to think during my checks that 'all up' means everything ON so you would be right. Confused of Essex.

I know! Your right it is up for ON. I can see now what you are saying with the logic on the TX that the neutral position would be ON and the down position OFF. Interesting, I really had not thought about it all! During the pre landing checks I just glance at the panel, Master ON, Fuel Pump ON, Landing Light ON Beacon ON, Pitot Heat ON, and you are right they are in the up or neutral position. I still like the logic I use on my tx though, after all they are not the switches inside an aeroplane.

PS, if you think it is bad that I can't remember the switch positions on a type I have 100hrs on, I will own up to using that lever thingy between the seats to apply the 'hand brake'. OK I only did it once, after the ribbing I got for it I wasn't likely to drop the flaps to apply the 'hand brake' again

Like most people I use up for high rates and down for loow rates, logical.

Talking of reversed controls, which we weren't really.

Did you know that Avro Designer Roy Chadwick was killed in a Tudor which crashed because the ailerons controls were reversed.

If the big boys can do it there is no shame when you do it...just  expense and ridicule.

Even more subtle was the well respected pilot who transferred into 617 suadron and was allocated a brand new Lancaster.  His crew were not too happy to be going with him as 617 had a reputation of something of a suicide squadron and were horrified that he appeared to have lost the ability to fly a Lanc!

Some time later after many near disasters, particularly botched landings, repairs were being done to the tailplane area and someone realised the elevators were fitted upside down!  Fitting them correctly led to an instantaneous revertion to the pilot's normal competence.

By the way, I have high rates switched on in the down position as the switches appear off to me in the up position - therefore a quick scan of the transmitter before take off avoids nasty surprises!