392mph DS video is up....

Advert

Zang! Butt clenchingly fast!  Errrm they used to hide behind something thick but that bunch looked a bit exposed to me. I guess if that Kinetic hit you you would explode! Now that would be GREAT on U Tube! Seriously though are they taking a risk Andy ? N'way at the rate that the records fall it would seem that some better radar guns are needed, or an on board pito ? Nah to many variables. GPS ?

cool stuff. Rocked my boat for sure.  Go well F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
And I'm too scared to open the throttle wide open on my little Funjet.. (when it works that is...)
It's a shame that the forces involved can't be harnessed to solve the world's energy problem. I'm thinking that a disk-like turbine set on an adjustable spindle on the lee of a hillside?
What do you think guys...?
On reflection, EON et al would buy all of our best slope soaring sites and then we'd all be stuffed.  

Stuff global warming, let's keep this to ourselves  

Marc
As usual we're going round in ever decreasing circles & getting nowhere faster ! Must admit it leaves me cold as well - BUT that's California for you.  I bet you could beat the record if you wanted to on the Great Orme (methinks Timbo and his Jart in a strong gale ? ) with an oddserver /radar gun thing operator wearing a crash helmet
G-UMPY

Just to drop Andy in it a bit, he came to our club last month for a talk on gliding and dynamic slope soaring.

To be fair I don't think there were many glider pilots in the audience, but it was a fantastic talk with lots of interest for non glider pilots.  I particularly liked the demo on vac bagging and new (to me) building techniques. 

Well worth seeing if he's free for your next meeting!

• 2 months later...
Hmmm outside looking in, all I can say is if you have not tried it then how would you know you dont like it ?  I didnt like beer till I was 20 now I brew 50 litres at a time
the rush you get from achieving these speeds inches from the ground and still in control is a real heart starter   the equation for DSing is  DS+$=  . Spencer is aprime example of pushing engineering envelops to the limits with Big $ investments  and why does he do it? because he can
SteveW with only 108mph to his credit
P.S. currently the record stands at 399mph  once again by Spencer

Edited By stephen wenban on 06/01/2010 20:32:56