E.D.F. Glitching

Advert

John

You're probably right that bad installation causes/contributes to a lot of the glitching experienced by many fliers.

One of the links I posted lists a lot of factors other than noise from the motor that contribute specifically to electrical noise/glitching/interference (e.g. metal on metal noise from linkages).

However, the term "erratic flight behaviour" covers a host of ills, not all of which would IMHO be described as "glitching" (e.g. canopies flying off, wings lifting/falling in response to thermals, micro bursts etc) by a modeller with any experience.

Speaking personally (with a pathetic 18 years of flying experience), I know when I've encountered a glitch, almost to the point of being able to avoid "high risk" altitudes/attitudes/control movements i.e.;

- Not making significant changes in throttle position when the RX aerial is pointing directly at or away from the TX

- Not diving a high speed on low throttle settings close to the ground (the prop brake seems to be implicated in some glitching).

If your EDF installations are interference free, it would be grand to find out what equipment you're using.

It's very hard to diagnose the problems encountered by the individual modellers that ask for help without actually seeing the model in question, and I usually find myself posting multiple suggestions in the hope that something will work. Some info on specifics that work would be very helpful.

Speaking personally I've always tried to isolate the ESC from the RX where possible, but I appreciate that with ever smaller models, this can be difficult to do.

AlistairT

Well, I know for sure mine was glitching, and personally, now after loosing 3 planes to it, and having problems with another, I know three things go a long way to finding a cure;

1 - Check all soldering on ESC & Motor, even factory fitted, a dry joint will cause glitching.

2 - Try Ferrite rings on the ESC lead, I was sceptical, but they did improve things.

3 - Jeti MPD reciever....and us nothing else!

• 1 month later...
To anyone that may be interested, I sifted through all your contributions thoroughly, (Thanks Guys),and in the end decided, somewhat reluctantly ,(scrooge),to invest in some 241Gig gear.
Sofar I have only done 2 flights with it in my previously, almost unflyable, (Due to glitching), "Fantom",but what joy, No glitching whatsoever , smooth as a babys bum.
I am at present most pleased, but hasten to remind you .Only 2 flights with one model! . More checks , then when weather& time permit & I`ve indulged myself in"Glitch free E.D.F." for a while, the "Tigershark" will get its turn to be re-born

Hmmm, told you it was good huh!
Now look, I REALLY dont want to open old wounds 'cos JETSOM and I are now engaged to be married ( or I suppose that should be "civil partners" to be politically correct !!) But, I and an increasing number of people are delighted with the performance of 2.4G with regards to excellent interference rejection / ignorance in electric powered aeroplanes. I witnessed 3 other 35meg electric flyers on the strip last night complain of "glitching" whilst flying, and certainly in 2 of the 3 planes involved, the radio installation was first class, ....and used first class equipment.

Timbo, "I'll get me coat!", basically means I understand all the words of this thread but not as they are currently arranged - I bow to your (& others) superior knowledge. Yes, I am prone to senior moments these days! Seriously the problem was obviously an EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) issue - whether it was due to placing the RX on top of the ESC or an RF signal somewhere in the locality, who knows. After 26 yrs as a Class A licenced radio radio amateur I have dealt with such issues countless times, pleased the switch to 2.4Ghz solved the problem.

• 1 year later...

I'm piling up the years now in this hobby of ours and (long may it continue) the only flying glitches I've ever experienced were when flying above metal fences, over underground pipes and near airconditioning in the ceiling at work with a little heli...glitching on the ground was caused by a faulty servo upsetting the other 3 wing servos in the cold only.

I've just laid down my hard earned on my first EDF so I hope this trend will continue, but it sounds unlikely from other previous reports above, actually it sounds like I'm in for a right game of it.

IC for me as a first choice, but these little jets kept sucking me in until I had to succumb.

My first experience of an EDF was an Alfa Mig 15 and I got a small Jeti 4 channel RX to go with it and ran the aeriel down the fuselage and it just protruded at the rear. Result severe glitching so I replaced the Jeti with a Webra Rx with a full length aeriel which extended some distance out of the back of the plane and it was fine on this. I think part of the problem was the Alfa metal paint finish.

I also have a Fantom which flew OK with a cheap Esky Rx with just an occassional glitch. I've replaced the Rx's in both of these with a Spektrum 6100 and they have both been faultless, with the added benefit that the Rx and aeriel is completely enclosed, must be good for a another 10 mph on my Mig

I also have a larger E-flite Beaver which uses a Multiplex IPD Rx and this has also been completely glitch free.