Which engine for H9 Corsair?

Louis Benjamin

HI,
I FLY ALL ELECTRIC MODELS AT PRESENT, AND HAVE VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE WITH I/C.  I`M INTERESTED IN GETTING THE HANGER9 CORSAIR.60 BUT I`M UNSURE WHAT ENGINE WOULD FIT BEST AND BE MOST SUITABLE FOR THIS MODEL ...4 STROKE OR 2 STROKE OR IS A PETROL AN OPTION? A SPECIFIC MAKE/MODEL WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANKS

Advert

Hi Louis.  There's no law to say it has to be IC (although some dyed in the wool warbird flyers will tell you electric warbirds are just wrong )

My Hangar 9 corsair has 12S A123 cells powering a Hyperion Z5035-20 motor and 17 x 10 propeller.  Goes very well

Edited By peevie on 03/05/2009 06:38:01

Hi. thanks for all your replies. Going down the electric route would mean the expense of buying more batteries, as all my packs are 3`s. So i fancy giving i/c a try.
A few at the club seem to be in favour of petrol, lower running costs, easy starting and such.
Is there a petrol engine suitable for the corsair? 
thanks lou

Hey if you've got enough battery power to fly a deuces wild then you have enough for a Corsair, they are similiar weights, all you need to do is connect a couple of 3s1p packs in series to make a 6s1p pack. How big are you packs capacity wise (mAh)?

Tom

Hi Tom, most of my packs are 4000 `s, although I have some 3300`s. What is the access like on the corsair if you were to convert to electric? I don`t want to have to remove the wing between flights to change packs...bit lazy. I found with the deuces wild that you can run through your packs pretty quick too.

Lou

Hi Lou,
               Peevie is the man to talk to about battery access as he has one, but its been quite a popular electric conversion. Your options are to make a battery hatch in the nose if you don't like taking the wing off, but surely its no that much of a chore is it?

Agree with Djay (assuming he means the conventional layout CD version)

I've got an RCV 91 in my H9 Thunderbolt (same range) and it goes very well - sounds superb too.

Whatever you go with, make sure the cooling air can get in, is guided around the cyl. head and can get out again.

Mike

Edited By Mike Tiley on 13/05/2009 18:33:56