Design It Yourself! - What you are designing around the Peter Miller series of articles

I have made the second drawing of the wing now, i found a load of what looks like tracing paper and it is perfect for copying, although now it has hit the back log of my projects so it may be a while! i'll get there eventually.

I have decided to decomission my Miss Demeanor because it never really flew very well and now i have some spare parts, so i may do a design for a 15, or i may do something along the lines of that roamer, was that for a 30 4 stroke? would that go on a 15 2 stroke?

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Did a bit more drawing, finished tracing over it onto some tracing paper, and awaiting the new engine for my birthday so i can match the size up to what i have drawn, i would hope that most of the engine could be concealed under the cowl.

I have a feeling i may have made it a bit complicated i have put an optional landing light on the drawing as well as optional speed brakes and also the anti collision light on the rear of the top fuselage.

Also, what would you do if you had sent it off and remembered you forgot something?

You don't forget something because you have two sets of plans pirnted and build from one. When you find something wrong or missing you correct it on the second set of plans.

When the model is finished and test flown you add the control throws and any CG correction etc and send the corrected plans off.

The speed brakes look like split flaps but when they come down to 90 degrees I suppose they could be called speed brakes. should be interesting.

Well on all the documentation on the internet, they are always referred to as speed brakes, never flaps, i assume they would work as flaps at 0 - 45 degrees

I believe with my Jodel,  the wings will be so quick to build, as all it will require is, if the speed brakes option is ommited, just a plain centre section with paper tubes for the extention leads then the small wing tips have the sheeting glued on but not bent down over the leading edge, you then wedge up the back of it for the wash in/out/what ever the good one is then bring the leading edge up which will form the D-box to hold the wash into the tip, then a servo holder would need to be fabricated for the wing tip, i have a feeling i will do this first, i have to say this is getting me really excited!

This would be such a cool job, doing your hobby, to fund your hobby! much better than a paper round! (which for the record i have never done a paper round )

Edited By Peter Savage on 01/07/2009 00:19:28

IF they call them speed brakes, then theyare speed brakes. Not arguing.

Speed brakes would be simple to add and would add a lot of interest so go for it.

Washout is the good one!

Not sure how big your model is but Radio Active do nice plastic servo mounts for wing mounted servos. I use them a lot. They do two sizes one for micro servos and one for standard size servos. Very useful and not expensive.

Selling plans beats working any day of the week.

i think if you average a model a month which you probably do! you probably get more than working at a convenience store!

Due to the demise of the miss demeanor i now have two sd200 servos to go in the wings and i can also use the ar500 that came out of it in this

And whats more, you can sell the prototype model as well and cash in some more!

• 4 weeks later...
Been to the LMA cosford, got an SC 32! got back, and it was cheaper in one of the magazine adverts in RCM&E anyway, started running it in in the garden, this will need an exhaust spacer as well, i will have to make two for everyone who hasn't got the tools, you can just ask the people from just engines to make you one! I haven't asked them before but a club mate has, i assume you just send them the basic dimentions and stuff then it arrives in the post

While i was camping i decided to write the beginning of my article, well it isn't really camping when you take a laptop

it actually turned out the campsite is directly next to a common that houses the local model club! ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Peter      

Finally got that Husky finished.

Tried it out today at my local boat clubs lake. Taxi trials went very well, lots of control on the water with the twin water rudders, tracked nice and straight and got up onto the step with little fuss, lots of power. Unfortunately the flight wasn't so good.. took off with no problems but just didn't seem to want to climb away .. as though once past 3/4 throttle I was getting no more power. Things just seemed to get worse power wise so had to bring her around and land very quickly. As can be seen from the next pic it was quite a heavy landing .. floats tried to do the splits.

I checked the connections and the ESC seems to work fine when I run her up static. The motor pulls 37amps static with a 60a OPTO ESC, ESC doesn't even get hot.

I removed the floats and had a 10 min flight after .. over grass of course . Flew really well too.

Glenn

Hi peter(s)

The flight over grass certainly proved the plane, so im happy there.

Im still not convinced that the poor power with floats on is down to needing a bigger motor. Although I do have a nice outrunner I can fit if all else fails.

Im using a brand of ESC i've never tried before,( from the cheap end of the market ), and I think the problem could be there. Static tests on the bench last night showed that the motor was at max revs at a little over half throttle.

I'll have to check the prop RPM with this ESC and compare it to the same setup with another ESC. I seem to remember that this motor reved a lot harder on my old Castle Creations ESC, ( now defunct, my son with his buggy, don't ask ). I'll try a couple of different batterys as well just to make sure there ok.

Ahh well .. it's all  part of the fun.

Now lets see. The fuel tank, well, if it is set up properly and ran once it will continue to run satisfactorily. If there is a problem you can see it. Fuel lines, again, very easy to check if you have problem. Once set up and tested they should not need any further work.

If the tank is full it runs. I don't have to wonder if it is full because I can see the excess fuel coming out of the breather.

The carburettor is part of the engine. You should never have to touch it once set up. Perhaps a click on the main needle to compensate for major weather changes.

Glow plug. IT glows or it doesn't. If it is still glowing but is dying you know because as soon as you take the glowclip off the engine goes sick.

Glow Starter. That is simple maintenance, if you don't charge it it won't work. I use A Schumacher Glowstick and a 2000Mah 6 cell nicad, only charge it a couple of times a  year.

When I put an engine in a model I know it will fly the model so long as it is running. 99% of engine problems are in the fuel system, not the engine. Set it up right and it goes for ever.

Of course, I admit that if you don't know anything about engines they can present problems, just possibly nearly as many confusing symptoms as an electric set up.