Design It Yourself! - What you are designing around the Peter Miller series of articles

Advert

Hi Peter

I know what you mean with a well setup I.C, my shuttle heli has never missed a beat in 5 years. Then again, the "it goes or doesn't go" applies to electric as well, once setup, and with no mess .

Did some tests tonight and it appears the battery I used is a little tired so a new battery needed ..

Also put the new outrunner in the model and reprogrammed the ESC. No more throttle trouble now, must have been some idiot who did it wrong the first time .. (me )

The thing is that one can't see electricity flowling through the cables or why the current etc is getting messed up in an ESC. i.e. the battery, you can't see if it is flat but you can see if a tank is empty.

My problem is that I was brought  up on things you could see, Hydraulic leaks, air leaks (Well, you hear them and see them with soapy water), vaccum leaks,  mechanical problems.

It would be worth checking that the tip dihedral on a Jodel is correct and measured from the correct surface.The free  Jodel plan ( Boddington I think ) in RCScale Aircraft years ago looked wrong and a club member built one as per plan and it flew like a pig ( that is difficult to fly )
I reckon the dihedral angle was measured (in degrees ) from underside instead of top surface ( tapered tip remember ) or something.  Just a thought........

Edited By kc on 19/10/2009 20:36:36

But you won't be able to set the centre line at a precise angle very easily on the built wing.  The tip tapers and therefore the surface angle is different to the centre line.   You need to adjust the centre line angle by the amount of the taper.  Obviously the upper surface is at less angle compared to the lower surface.
Philip Kent and others have proved that 3 views are often wrong and have exagerated features.  

It was Boddingtons Jodel 112/117 plan in  RCSA  Aug /Sept 1990.  The bad news is this is a 45 inch span model already in the Plan Service.

However it was Keith Humber's 58 inch design  for Jodel117   in Radio Modeller Dec 1991 which  seemed to have excessive dihedral in the model flown locally ( by a heavy builder so maybe overweight was the problem  )
The dihedral braces show 15 degrees on the top surface and 20 degrees on the lower on the Humber plan.  ( much the same as 18 degrees at centre )

Washout on the tips and no washout on the ailerons is specified by both designers.

These are slightly different Jodels to the Ambassadeur and the dihedral could vary.
If you want me to measure the washout on these plans for your guidance I will do so.

Edited By kc on 20/10/2009 00:19:42

Unfortuantely due to the build article getting stuck on the laptop, i pinned it all down, and forgot about the lower sheeting and cap strips :s
I pinned it all to the board, made the torque rods for the speed brakes and also made the 1/16" ply speed brakes. That SC32 is burning a hole in my pocket!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
As I mentioned earlier there are 2 plans which should already exist in the MyHobbyStores plan service at 45 inch and 58 inch span.
Not much scope for publishing another one at those sizes considering the existing ones are by renowned designers!
We need more original designs of differnt subjects to make it worthwhile purchasing the magazine.