Dirtying up an ARTF Scale Model

Drewpy

I have a Seagull Texan which I am about to start 'building' however it is bright and shiny which may look nice but in my opinion doesn't portray a working aeroplane.  Has anybody got any tips on how to dirty it up?  I recall that RCM&E had an article some time ago about doing this sort of thing but I can't find it.  Anyone remember it?

Advert

Drewpy,
I've used a kitchen scourer to take the shine off ATRF covering.  Use one of the green plastic scourers not a metal one.  It leaves loads of minute scratches so use this to your advantage and rub in the same direction.  To dirty it up afterwards use ordinary pencil graphite applied on a finger. sharpen a pencil and rub the lead on a piece of fine sandpaper to get your dirt.  If you apply a bit of masking tape to a section and then rub the dust over the tape onto the plane, when you remove the tape you are left with a hard line.  This gives the impression that a panel is leaking oil, apply sparingly and keep looking at the effect before you dirty the whole plane!

BB 

Hi Drewpy,
I totally agree about the toy look. To be avoided at all costs
I think it's very difficult to dirty a shiny surface, because the dirt doesnt stick.
Try to take the shine off as Bucksboy suggests. I too use graphite powder for dirt. You can make some with sandpaper and a soft pencil. Try to get some closeup pix of the prototype, to see where the stains are, and rub the graphite on with a fingertip in the direction of the airflow. ~You can add rivets with a hypodermic syringe with white glue, then you get a wee dirt stain behind the rivet, Most satisfying, if you have the patience.
Oil stains tend to be shiny, so I use artists oil colour, applied with a toothpick

ernie

Thanks for your advice fellas.  Will have a go with the graphite although the soot from the coal fire sounds interesting, once on v hard to get off.  My lounge carpet will testify to that!  The graphite trick sounds like the one outlined in the article mentioned in my first post.
Do you finish the surface with 2 coats of 50/50 thinned matt Ronseal varnish & water?  I used that on my Basic 3D and the covering has stayed v clean even after 18 monthe of regular flying with no pealing of stickers. 
BTW stuffed the Superair today so that' now on the repair bench!

• 5 weeks later...