The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

Hi Pete,

I agree with what you say ,and yes it was the neighbors who were responsible for the harassment, but the local policing unit failed to stop the harassment. Yes the local council could have intervened, but they too were infective. At the end of the day, when your faced with that kind of on going threat who do you go to for help. I have in the past had nothing but respect for the police considering the job they have to do, and have never had any trouble with or from them, not even a traffic offense. I also have some mates who are in the job, and feel that they are proper coppers, but on the whole I feel that the police are letting us down when we come to rely on them.

Chris.

Posted by Phil Wood on 01/01/2011 22:45:42:
 Don't blow my trumpet when it comes to electronics BB........I'm just your common or gardener nuclear physist...physicsit....physicics.....Oh sod it where's spell check?

Pil
 Phil,

Didn't know you had a trumpet, LOL, My cutter is thirty years old, and still works a treat, We may have something in common, I worked as a lab rat in a construction physics lab for more than 15 years, and I've spent a lot of time with my future father in law, who's head of physics at Sheffield.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 01/01/2011 22:57:16

Phil absolutely,

But I still have an interest, despite the job I do now, or almost job, because I'm semi retired. At least I can speak with confidence when I give presentations on the effects of asbestos inhalation given my past lab experience and intimate knowledge of how it behaves and qualifications, The legal system take me seriously as an expert witness, I have a number of court cases under my belt, non of which we have lost.. 

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 01/01/2011 23:34:10

Posted by Pete B on 01/01/2011 23:21:46:
I can't disagree with that, Chris. The question is, is it the individuals who are not doing their job or a system which makes it difficult or impossible for them to do so?

Pete

Pete,

I think it's combination of both, in the particular case I refer to, It's clear there were significant failings. I know how hard it is to perform well in the eyes of the public, when we are constantly faced with interference from central government, and starved of resources to do the job effectively. In saying that we have to priorities and direct the resources we have to protect the public, even despite themselves.
I can honestly say that I still have commitment and enthusiasm for the job although I've taken semi retirement on health grounds, but still would not have any problems in disciplining any of my staff who under perform to the extent of putting members of the public or anyone else at risk.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Phil Wood on 01/01/2011 23:38:27:
Posted by Big Bandit on 01/01/2011 23:31:32:
Phil absolutely,

Is this a bit similar to my earlier posts about finding a job?.....you are "semi" retired....that means you haven't quite given up yet......good on you mate. ....or coming from somewhere near to Liverpool, should I say..........."Good on yer mate"?

Phil.
 Phil, Couldn't you do something similar, from your qualifications, may be some consultative work may be possible. leave it too long and companies think you are out of touch. I must admit that I'm not up to climbing about doing surveys, I can get surveyors I know to do that, but I'm happy to write the reports and advise what systems need to be put in place to manage the materials and comply with the regulations. Just a thought.

Chris.

Hi Guys,

I've done a bit of surgery on the last page of Myron's 'Get Well' thread. The conversation got rather seriously off topic and in a direction I'm sure you will agree, in retrospect, was not really helpful for either Myron or Chrissy at this time. No one's fault - and going off topic was just "one of those things". Anyway I have deleted the posts in question.

You're obviously free to continue the topic here, were you yourselves have moved it too anyway!

Thanks for your understanding on this one.

BEB