The Cafe

Former Member

I used to supply, repair etc computers in a retirement village, also used to help people who hadn't used one before.

It was quite an upmarket place, own restaurant,  health centre with frail care etc, so the residents had to be relatively well off to live there.

What amazed me, was firstly how easily they learnt, despite their fear of not being able to, and the immense wealth of knowledge, experience and information they had . All wasted, many people really don't realise how much of their lives they waste learning in  life what others have learnt and perfected already, and would love to pass on if there was a way

One of them who used to be an accountant, used to do a lot of analysis of the kitchen operations, I used to teach him things like netmeeting and email so that he could keep in contact with his children. He was as sharp as they come, at 94!

It was a sad day when I went round to say goodbye

Hope your magic potion works for your son

Advert

Good on yer Phil, just what I needed on Old Years Eve, 'positive thinking'. I passed the 55 mark 10 years ago and I've barely had a days illness in my life. You seem to have had all the knocks that life could throw at you, and you still look on the bright side! I know I couldn't. In the last year I've been diagnosed with High blood pressure, high Cholesterol and chronic Arthritis in my feet. I now have to take pills for the rest of my life, and I got depressed about it! Thanks for helping me to get my perspective right.

At 44 years of age 29 of which have been spent building, lifting ,bending ,crouching, tripping , climbing , balancing, twisting the list goes on . (read hard work)
If this is what getting old is all about, then I quit.
Ive had broken collar bones , a broken ankle which I always twist now, sore arms and shoulder joints from the climbing and hammering, sore neck from lifting sheets of boards onto ceilings ,bad back etc the list goes on. 
Now I see these lazy little farts moaning about having to get offf there behinds and do a bit of work, they get no simpathy from me. its amazing how pathetic young people of today are. they get a cold and have a week off work and a good few doctors appointments with time offf work to go which i have to pay for, Whoops rambling now..

Had my moan for  2010
Happy new year guys , 

new years resolution.,,, not to moan about getting old and young people.

Posted by Steve W-O on 31/12/2010 05:28:39:.

Steve,

I agree with most of the things you say

"A young person who gets accustomed to not working, is likely to stay that way for a long time, if not life".

I see some of these people on a daily basis through work, and it's clear they do not seem to want to make an effort to present them selves as a person that a sensible employer would take on.

"I do agree, any one with any form of disability seems to be discriminated against, but of course that is not legal, so it is done in other ways, or things made so difficult that they give up".

Absolutely.

"Firstly, employers are not prepared to voluntarily make allowances  for peoples needs, they will only do so if compelled by legislation",

Lets not forget that  it is some employers are responsible for an employees disability through poor working practices, and this is not uncommon. Profit and expediency are more important than employee well being. Again some thing that I have to deal with frequently through work.

"There are exceptions, city councils are quite good, but I get the feeling that the gloss coat is maintained, no matter how much rot is underneath".

City councils are usually very good at accommodating people with disabilities, after all they are the part of the enforcing system. I'm not sure about the gloss coat be maintained where there is rot underneath.

Chris.

Kiwi, my Arthritis is due to a motor cycle accident in 1973, kick starting a 360 Yahaha would you believe? Just wait until you're 65. I don't mind getting old, it's just that nobody told me it would be so darned painful
While I'm here, you get yours first, so 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

the only people who are going to live to 100 are the work shy one's...who have no intention of ever getting/doing any work...and living on the handout's provided by you and i.......the worker's-due to the stress and physical lifestyle associatted with earning a crust will have no chance...the average lifespan of a manual worker is 65....if they're lucky.....

ken anderson    ne.... 1. 

changing the subject, can anybody tell me why deisel is now four pence a litre more than petrol this equates to more than 16p a gallon. as i understand it deisel is cheaper to produce so is it the government grabbing more tax as deisel cars become more popular. a few months ago both petrol and deisel were the same price for a while, now deisel is heading for six pounds a gallon

My job for today, the last day of the year?

Cleaning up the inside of my caravan. Left it with 6 cans of coke on the floor in a box. During the freeze they froze. Guess what, when they thawed, the top of five of them swelled and punctured, spraying coke over the walls, ceiling, upholstery.
Strangely the sixth one is completely OK.

Posted by Phil Claridge on 31/12/2010 09:32:31:
changing the subject, can anybody tell me why deisel is now four pence a litre more than petrol this equates to more than 16p a gallon. as i understand it deisel is cheaper to produce so is it the government grabbing more tax as deisel cars become more popular. a few months ago both petrol and deisel were the same price for a while, now deisel is heading for six pounds a gallon
 Phil
I understand that diesel is now that popular in the UK that our refineries can't produce enough to supply the demand and we have to import it, hence the higher price compared to petrol.

Regarding the diesel, I seem to recall that, back in the '90's, diesel was cheaper than petrol at the pumps. As diesel cars became more efficient and popular, particularly in respect of fuel consumption, a certain government decided that they were starting to lose out on revenue, so they came up with some excuse about higher pollution from diesel and put an 'environment' tax on it, making it 2p/litre more expensive than petrol.

Cynical, eh?

Over here, diesel is normally about 10% or thereabouts cheaper than petrol - I'm sure that if the French government tried the UK trick, they'd have another revolution on their hands...............

Pete

Pete that matches my recollection as well - they started going on about "particulates" in the exhaust. At that point I sold my diesel Land Rover Discovery and bought a petrol Volvo - very occassionaly I do get it it right!

BEB

PS Only a handful of posts to go to 5000! But as Phil says lets keep them real posts with proper content!

Right, spent all morning cleaning up the caravan, seem to have got away with it - nearly.
All the hard surfaces wiped down with water. The Cola had sprayed over 2 metres horizontally.

The worse bits were the facings on the seat/bed cushions which are a sort of false suede in light beige. Not a pretty sight with hundreds of Coca Cola spots. But I think they must have been coated with a stain resistant treatment. I have cleaned them with a wet wipe, let them dry and brushed them and they have come up like new. Apart from that, some spoilt breakfast cereal.

I realised that with the cold weather (-14 degrees C) I had to drain down the water system although there were some plastic bottles of water in the van, but I didn't realise that the cans of Cola were there. (I don't drink the stuff). but if I had thought about it I probably would still have left them there. I certainly didn't expect them to burst.....................

My snow ski arrived today.

Yes, you read that right, singular snow ski.

Some moron ordered just one, now the funcub may be pretty flexible, but I doubt it can take off and land on one "wheel"

When the snow started so much just before Christmas, it suggested that we may well have lots more a little later this year, so skis seemed a fun idea.

I will have words with that moron.

Next time I look in the mirror