Need another model

I am after something with a bit more performance than my PMP Impulse. I rang Stan and he has nothing left. 
So, can anyone suggest an EPP thing with good performance? I had been looking at the NCFM moth and moth 60. Does anyone have any experiance of either of these? 

Advert

The m60 is a really good sloper.  However, compared to your average foamie the build, although not that difficult, does require you to make a bit of effort if you want good perfmance from it.  It's no packing taping x-weave tape type model.  If you get smooth finish, performance is excellent for a foamie.

CG is extremely critical. Go 1mm too far back and it's nearly unflyable. too far forward and it flies badly.  The elevator throws are about +-2 - 3mm and the ailerons about +-18mm so you need good servos installed well (short servo arm, long surface horn, low slop).   I used futaba digitals on mine (s3150s).  I would say you want at the very minimum a hs85mg and you are better of with a decent pair of digital servos.

Anyway, the model is very good. but it's a high performance model that you need pay attention to it's build and set up.  Compared to something like a PMP impulse it should be a big step up in performance.

Andy here is the link to the s-15  . They are very good Lee Morgan has my old one now , there not as difficult to build or fly as the NCFM models .To get the best out of any of the more high performace wings you will need  good servos and as Tom says small elevator movements and good centering ..

Andy

http://www.wowings.com/

Don't get me wrong Andy, it's a very good model. but it's not an "easy" model in terms of the build and set up.  It depends what you want and what you want to commit to. 

The s-15 is probably a good bet.  Although the servo movement not as low on the s15 you still want to invest money and time in decent servos and setting them up well (linkages etc).  Planks are very CG critical.  

The S-15 is an ugly looking thing isnt it! 

Not that its looks alone would put me off getting one. Just want more performance than I have already and specificaly the ability to handle more wind. Got blown off Corby craggs this morning. Offspring was most upset. Off course EPP is prefered as I still have regular "bounces" and I am not yet ready for a moulded effort yet. 

Do we think the S-15 fits the bill?

personally I think the m60 is a better (and faster) model than the s15, but others might not agree.  I think the s15 does fit the bill.

To be honest I don't think you ever stop bouncing if you always fly EPP. It's just a state of mind thing. At some point you have to take the plunge and go for a mouldie, if that's the direction you want to go in.  They crash less anyway because they are easier to fly and land (especially with crow brakes).

if you want more out of epp you do have to be prepard to spend more, put more time into the build and spend more time on set up.  

I think you're right there Tom. Knowing that your foamie will endure poor handling tends to mean they are treated roughly.

I've started to try and change this state of mind, and so far my Fusion looks as good as the day I finished it - which is more than can be said for the foamie Jart which has spent more time under the Goop than in the air , but that's nothing to do with the model being made of EPP.

Andy - if you're prepared to put time into the build - try something from Leading Edge Gliders. They have the rather nice Le Fish, which is a kind of foamie Wasabi. My only concern with these models is the lack of access to your radio and battery.

Andy,

Saw an M60 go today in 20mph wind - very impressed

It was fast, aerobatic and quite put my Fusion and Bedlam to shame.

Has a fatter fus than the Polecat and possibly a bit more robust.

Quite fancy one myself only saving the pennies for a Luna.

Wonder how long it would take to get here from the USA?

The Polecat is a copy of the Moth 60 with a thinned wing section for racing and before any of you RCMF crowd start banging on about slating Ron, the fact of the matter is that it is. Ron knows it is. Has admitted it is and thats that.
This is RCM&E and we don't do that here.....as regular readers will know.

We also don't fly electric on the slope unless our name is Tim so there.

Andy

Ah! Our electric flying moderator!

Higher performance than an Impulse?
Have you considered the Lumberjacks?

They do fly nicely but are basically tweaked NCFM Bluto's/Halfpipe's,

Or of course if you were tempted by the Moth, why not the Raven?

Now that is a nice model.....Not quite so crashproof mind.

Andy

Well I just have to put summit down

There are loads of models out there and as andy says I have his S15 now ( which did an F3F race on sunday, got 52:xx ) So you can look around and search and lift rugs and stuff, You will always get different op's from different people. I would say find one of the top 60" racers you like the look of and go for that , The race's are as much about the pilot as they are about the model so any of the top 10 would fit the FASTER EPP that your after.

I still like me S15 though

Lee 

• 4 weeks later...
Back on topic and some good (i think), News. 

The replacement has been procured. The deal is done. I got an EPP Jart coming. 

It has been pre-loved but I if i remember correctly i should be in immaculate condition. Have i done the right thing? Will it fit the higher performance bill?

Time will tell I suppose. I might even be able to pop a a photo tomorrow if the wind is NW and I get off work soon enough..

Heres hoping