1:1 scale boats

gary davies-jones

Hi
anyone out there play with real boats and outboards?
I've got a Suzuki DT8 outboard which refuses to start.
It's got:
sparks
petrol/oil mix
compression on both pots
and a very stubborn nature.

Iv'e tried all sorts, including throwing away the old "stale" petrol and filling with clean new stuff.

Any suggestions wolud be usefull. And yes i have thought of using it as an anchor.

Thanks
Gary

Advert

Hi Gary,
1/ are the plugs 'wet' when you take them out. If yes then blow out as much fuel as you can and crank (pull) until no vapure comes out of the plug holes, and try again.
2/ If plugs are 'dry' then use an oil can to squirt 2 stroke mix into the plug holes and try again.
3/ if this persuades it to fire, or even run for a few revs, then try squirting direct into the carburettor.
Most outboards use reed valves between the carburettor and the cylinder, these may be stuck closed (quite common) A squirt of fresh petrol often solves this.
You may need some elixer of the single Malt kind to cure the pain the blisters give. They're the ones between the first and second fingers of your pulling hand! Ask me how I know

Hi guys,
right then, so far the plugs are wet, occasionally it tries to fire with a little splutter. Once all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust ignited with a huge bang, very spectacular.
I have tried squirting fuel directly into the cylinders, and the carb throat (still no effort from it). The read valves are not stuck (been in there and checked/cleaned).
When constantly yanking the string (requisit blisters and all) the smell of raw petroil mix from the exhaust changes to the smell of burnt two stroke mix and a faint blue haze rises from the exhaust, which hints at combustion.
I have tried cleaning the carb jets, but have been told that scrubbing with a tooth brush (hate the taste of petrol afterwards, must remember to use the wifes next time) is pretty inefective. I'm told I need an airline to get things moving.

I have recently sold my Seagull 40 minus (1954 vintage), and found that it used to be very economical and very reliable as long as the points were clean. The only problem with it was the lack of power and the blue cloud that followed you everywhere. Not that surprising really with a 10:1 mix. I'm regretting selling it now. Odd thing is Seagulls seem to engender either love or hate. In swansea the dealers, marine suppliers, boatyards, and boaters seem to hate them. Move 20 miles west to BurryPort and they are reverred and sought after by the boat yards and fishermen there.

Personally I'm beginning to dislike suzukis, just wish I could get it to fire.
Thanks guys
Gary

I have very little experience of outboards but perhaps the ignition is weak and not sparking under compression?  Otherwise, is there any possibility that the ignition timing could be way out?
A common cause of head scratching on two smokes is failed crankcase seals leading to loss of primary compression and a weak mixture.  However, if your plugs are getting wet then it's probably not that.

Ive played wih out board motors. I currently have a 70 johnson on my boat.
Is the fuel squeegee full and hard. inspect the valve at the top of this to make sure this isnt the problem.
Dry the plug and check for spark but the out board coils dont like being charged without disscharging to the plug . its bad for them.
If you have a spark, fuel, it will go unless .
Sounds like fuels getting in.
Backfire would suggest timing issues.
I once had a motor that when it backfired it would move the fly wheel on the crankshaft enough to almost shear the woodruff key. this would be enough to upset the timing. the cure was a new key and chalk on the cranktaper to hold it in place once touqed down.
Another thing that will stop a two stroke outboard from running is failing gaskets , mainly between the block halves. as much as a pin hole would cause problems starting from hott.
Another is Suzuki.. They have a bad tendnecy to corrode inside out. If you are having trouble starting in the water it could be that water from the inner jacket or exhaust jacket is entering the cylinder.. To see  if it is try starting breifly out of the water to see if it starts.
Remember though the water pump needs water to run in.
Hope this helps Kiwi g

Hi Gary, I go with Kiwi G, you might be having problems with the Crankshaft seals. Two strokes must be stored with the rotational line of the crankshaft downwards! This is why strimmers must be stored upright in the corner of the shed, otherwise the crankshaft lays on the seals and deforms them. If this motor was stored for a long time on the 'lift' cams of the main bracket, this may have happened. I have had success in the past with putting a 50/50 mix of petrol and ATF (Automatic transmission fluid). This is an old mechanics trick to 'fix' hydraulic tappets by expanding the rubber seals. Leave the mix well shaken in the engine for a day or so and try again.

Ha ha that would be funny,  especially winding it on to a recoil start motor like the suzuki dt8. it would make a mess of the spring too.  Good thinking though guys ,nothing to say hes using the recoil system. Have you had any luck getting it going...

Hi Guys,
yes it is a recoil starter, and no it wouldn't be funny. Well yes actually it would, but I'm not sure I'd laugh at the moment.

By the way the flywheel turns clockwise when viewed from above. Now since this means that as the advance happens it rotates the base plate anticlockwise. That is right isn't it?

I have at this time given up. A friend of a friend, it turns out, runs a business repairing and breaking outboards for spares. Long and the short of that is he's going to have a look at it at mates rates.

Gary