Middle Wallop Festival of Flight

Advert

More info from here

27th-28th

Middle Wallop

BEFA International 2 Day Electric Flight Event

By kind permission of Lieutenant Colonel (Rt) RJ Thayer School of Army Aviation and The Museum of Army Flying.
We will be holding a two day electric event on possible the best grass airfield in Western Europe.
On the Saturday there may be an F5d pylon event, this will not affect the normal fly-in.

There will be a pilots Raffle, only for the pilots who fly on the Sunday

1 ticket free when handing your transmitter in at the control tent

Prize's so far are Model Kits, batteries and RAF 90th books see below

BEFA has been given a small amount of books celebrating 90 years of the Royal Air Force. Courtesy of British Model Flying Association

The cost of getting though the museum gate is £5-00 same as last year!
None of this money goes to BEFA!

The rumour about this is the last electric event that I shall run with others is not true! I have booked the site for 2010!

much as I would like to go ( very convenient from southampton )  I shall be going to wings an wheels saturday and then over to old warden to fly vintage on the sunday.

why oh why do we get all these clashes of dates ??

re camping - the 1066 fly ins usually have camping arranged ( presumably with the museum )  on the grass extension adjacent the car parking at middle wallop.

john

• 2 weeks later...
Mini Report

Well the weather Gods smiled on us and we had terrific flying weather, blistering hot sunshine and very little wind.

Saturday started off foggy, but this soon burned off and the flying was relaxed and casual with about 20 - 25 pilots in attendance. Jean Paul and Walter from Jepe turned up late  as they had had a good night in Andover sampling the delightful beverages on offer The brothers Dave and Mark (apologies if I got your names wrong) from Ormskirk and also been out in Andover but once they got some madcap flying in they seemed to all feel a lot better. The medicinal qualities of model flying

Sunday saw a bigger turnout and some trade stands maybe 100+ pilots, Gordon Whitehead turned up, but sadly (for me anyway) he didn't bring his large Stumax hawk. Dave Chinnery turned up in his full size Cherokee and was in charge of the flight line. Things were a little more formal than Saturday and an attempt was made to keep similiar models flying together.

After successfully maidening my little Sniper on the Saturday I got to fly my Jet with two Jepe Pyranah's and a rather large and sexy CARF Spark with the all important Stumax fan. My only complaint was that because I was concentrating on my 100 mph Sniper Jet, dodging the Pyranah's, I never actually saw the Spark fly, but I could certainly hear it, very jet turbine like!

Other high lights for me was seeing Jepe Mirage, F22 Raptor and Mig 29 fly, expertly controlled by Jean Paul. There was a large scale Mosquito that flew superb and also had onboard sound with machine guns, it was truly fantastic and got a round of applause from the pilots when it landed, unfortunately I only caught the owners name as John, and I know I should know who he is but I didn't, but I expect someone else who was there will chime in with his name.

Anyway there were loads of cool electric models and it was difficult to see them all fly and get in the 5 or 6 hours of my own flying that I managed over the weekend. I finally left when my TX battery gave up on me. I was going to connect it up to a LiPo but I got a casual reprimand pointing out that I would be increasing its output power by running the higher voltage LiPo, so next time I will invest in a larger TX pack.

Big thanks to all the organisers and especially Bob Mahoney who ran an excellent day.

Tom

Sorry Dave, didn't get many names, was too busy flying. There was a journo type person wandering about interviewing people, making notes and taking photos so I'm sure one of the fine modeling publications like yourself will have a report in, he may have got his name.

Great event, thanks Mr Mahony!!

The event will be on next year. Anyone interested in attending next year please drop me an email via my website and I'll make sure you will receive reminder emails nearer the time.

Some more photos can be found here

Cheers n beers
George

PS it wasn't a Mosquito it was John Ranson with his DH103 Hornet.

PPS  Hi David, I'll see if I can find out the name of the Sea Fury fan, I had a long chat with him, but didn't catch his name.

Edited By George Worley - 4-Max on 29/06/2009 21:37:59

Well I tried arguing the fact that they sell LiPo TX packs, but this was counter argued that Futaba hasn't sanctioned it. I don't know that much about radio,  if the battery voltage is higher does that mean the transmitter power increases? Its not much of a voltage increase, the Nicad comes off charge at about 11.1v and drops below 11v pretty quickly, where as the Lipo was holding 12.2v pretty well. He wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the fact that my LiPo was too big for the radio case and I had it sticking out at the back. I guess if I get a smaller pack so that the battery cover goes back on no one will be any wiser

Tom

Yes I know that the manufacturers wont sanction it yet, and fitting them could prove troublesome with insurance etc if a problem happened - my point was that the REASON they gave you was inaccurate.
More battery voltage will NOT AFAIK increase the RF output at all. You are also correct that there is little difference between a 12.6V LiPo fresh off the cooker, to an 8 cell nickel which could easily peak at 12V+... besides, the voltage will drop very quickly to around 12V or so.
The issue is mainly with the voltage regulator fitted - as the stock items are budget linear ones in many cases, and could overheat with the higher input voltage.
I changed the regualtor on my DX7 at the time of fitting a lipo and all has been fine for over 2 years now, and thousands of flights.

Hi 

Like to add my thanks to Mr  Mahony & his crew for a very enjoyable Sunday. I for one hope to be there next year ( you've got my E-Mail ant you George ).

Do you think Bob  will have that Turbulent  finished by then?

The reporter type person with the note pad and pen was one Andrew Gibbs. 

Roy

Does anyone know who the poor guy was who was trying to bungee a red pusher prop Hunter? The first go, he applied the throttle too early, moving off the hook and the bungee released without the model. The 2nd go the bungee got entangled in the prop and broke the blades. The third go looked like he was onto a winner as the model soared up into the sky, only to be pulled backwards as the bungee failed to release, it was a battle the Hunter couldn't win as it plumeted to the ground, the bungee winning round three.  
Never did see it fly

I had a very enjoyable day, albeit a bit frustrating, as all my models are 600 miles south of here!
I too had a chat with Rick, the Sea Fury guy and have emailed him to let him know of the interest here. I'm sure he'll contact you directly.  All being well, I'll try and get some video on Youtube in the next couple of weeks - off back to France tomorrow.

Pete
ps don't hold your breath for the video - it'll be my first upload!

Posted by David Ashby - RCME moderator on 29/06/2009 16:48:56:
Who was the Sea Fury fan Tom? 
 The Sea Furies belong to me Rick Churchill. Hers's the details:

Rick Churchill (Wimborne M.A.C.)

D.H. CHIPMUNK 6th Scale built 2007
Galaxy Kit modified for Electric
Span: 72in
Weight: 8.6lbs including 21oz battery
Battery: Tornado LiPo 6cell 3.7Ah
Motor: AXI 4130/16 (390rpm/V)
15 x 10 prop @ 6800rpm requiring 1000 watts
HAWKER SEA FURY 7th Scale - built 2009
Seagull ARTF resprayed and modified for Electric
Span: 66in
Weight: 8.7lbs including 22oz battery
Battery: A123 LiFePo4 8cell 2.3Ah
Motor: Tornado C5065 (380rpm/V)
17 x 12 prop @ 5700rpm requiring 1200 watts
HAWKER SEA FURY 9th Scale - built 2004
Balsacraft Kit designed by Pete Nicholson
(modified nose to accept LiPos/outrunner and foam wing)
Span: 48in
Weight: 3.3lbs including 11oz battery
Battery: Electrolyte LiPo 3cell 4.2Ah
Motor: AXI 2820/10 (1200rpm/V)
9 x 6 prop @ 11000rpm requiring 350 watts
HAWKER SEA FURY 12th Scale built 2008
E-Flight ARTF
Span: 37in
Weight: 2lbs including 7oz battery
Battery: Dynam LiPo 3cell 2.2Ah
Motor: AXI Model 2808/20 (1820rpm/V)
8 x 6 prop @ 11200rpm requiring 270 watts

Posted by Roy Thompson on 30/06/2009 23:19:41:
Tom
when did Dave fly the Fairey Longranger I missed that completely :^(
Nice photos by the way.

Roy

Hi Roy it flew early on Saturday morning, unfortunately the left wheel dropped off on take off, he elected to continue his flight and enjoy it, when it came to land it flipped upside down with minimal damage. I'm sure it will be flying again soon Very nice model, about 108" span I think from memory.

Tom

Well, for better or worse - it's my first attempt - here are three videos of some of the models at Middle Wallop. Constructive criticism welcome!

I wouldn't want to make a living from it - apologies to those I missed.

Pete