Flashing Ads

Nobby Nuts

I hardly ever come here.  Not because there's not a lot of good stuff here, but because the damn flashing ads drive me to distraction!

I understand that you have to advertise to keep costs down, but why do they have to flash from one image to the next?  It drives me up the wall.  Static ads would be much better.  I can't be the only one who thinks that, surely?

Nobby

Advert

Yeah I understand why you need them, David, and I've no problem with that.

What I don't understand is why they need to flash.  I could even understand it, but not like it, if only one or two ads that perhaps you got more revenue for flashed.  But the entire right hand side of the page?  To me that means the messages they hope to convey get lost in a barrage of noise, and as someone else said on the other thread you pointed at by the time you've noticed something that might be interesting it's gone away anyway, so I'm not sure they achieve the result you're hoping for! 

I'd bet I'm not the only one who doesn't come here much for just that reason - well, I know I'm not, I know a few people in our club who don't for the same reason, mostly people of my age group (40s) and above who don't get on with modern youth's tolerance for information overload

My view is simple: Ads OK, Flashing No!

Nobby

Posted by Phil Wood - Moderator on 18/06/2009 23:31:53:
Nobby Nuts  I agree your complaint may be valid, but with only two forum posts (both here) and nothing in the way of an introduction or profile, how do you expect people to respond to that complaint?

Advice has been given in other threads as to how to solve your complaint.......may I politely suggest that you read them.

Polyphilla.
 Umm, Ok.  I thought I was explaining why I don't post here and I'd hoped to do it in a way that might be useful to the site.  It wasn't a complaint, just an observation.  I don't expect people to respond in any particular way, and indeed it seems that most people who've responded on this thread don't care one way or the other about the flashing ads - that's fine, I've no problem with that, I'm not sure why you're implying I do? 

If my complaint's valid, as you put it, I'm not sure why it matters how many posts I've made.  Indeed I've made no posts before, although I've been registered almost since the site came online, bacause of my "complaint".  Moreover I don't have any expectations as to how people should respond to the posts, and I'm sure the site admins will take it or leave it as they see fit. 

What I'm saying is simple:  There are several people I know, including me, who don't visit the site because the ads flash and we find it annoying and distracting.  I bet that there is nobody in the entire world who does visit the site because the ads flash.  Keep the ads, but stop them flashing, and more people will visit the site.  Guarenteed.  And on top of that, your ad revenue will probably go up because of the extra page views. That's all.

I'm sorry I seem to have upset one or two people.   That wasn't my intention.

Nobby

I don't mind the repetative nature of the 'flashing' ads so much as the petty repetative gripes from the same old few......fight,fight,fight !!
Just noticed the ad for 'Modelairplanevideos.com' hmmmm.  Anyone used em,seen em or rate em ??

Nobby, flashing ad's fill the many webpages. In our case it allows the site to cover its costs and remain a viable entity.

I hear what you say and I'm sorry the pages affect you in the way they do but the issue has been raised before and to be frank, nothing is going to change sometime soon on the matter and for obvious reasons.

Doug's advice is the best route.   

Hi all, the flashing ads don't bother me, but I wonder why the suppliers do all this to attract your attention, and then don't perform (or even respond) when you place an order with them! It just doesn't  make sense, to go to all that trouble, and then ignore you!

Just a quick follow up in case anyone's interested.  I should have looked this up before but it only occurred to me after I read the "press ESC" post that it must be possible.  In FireFox to disable flashing gifs permanently you can do the following:

Access the "about:config" page (type it in the URL bar without ""s and press return)

Find the "image.animation_mode" preference name

Double click on it to change the string value to "none" (without the ""s)

Close the page, come back here or whatever.

Ads will never flash at you again.

Nobby

Fair enough Phil, but my reason for commenting on the ads is this:

This site is a business, not a home.  Unlike wallpaper, the flashing ads weren't chosen by someone because they like the look of them, they were chosen to be a prominent as possible so that they attract the maximum ad revenue to the site.  In my view, because of the flashing, they don't achieve that - some people don't come here because of them.  As the owner of a business, I'd want to maximise the number of people viewing the site, and hence the number of click-throughs and therefore the ad revenue.  I'd very much want to hear if there were reasons people weren't visiting the site, irrespective of the number of posts they'd made in the past.

As I said, I accept that the vast majority of people here couldn't care less about the flashing.  Partly I suspect that that is because people who do care about it just don't come here, but that's not my problem.  What I wouldn't expect is the owner of the business (or their moderators) to sound irritated and offended that I'd have the temerity to suggest that there is something I thought they they might do better to improve the site.  Politely answer and then dismiss it, yes, which is what David has done, and that's fair enough.  Attack the messenger, no.

Nobby