Blackhorse Super Air

Advert

Finished the repairs this evening.Everywhere youlook in side the balsa is fairly discolored and once slighly damaged is qiute weak.It looks like condensation managed to find its way every where so Im checking the model regularly.Seems fine unless it has a heavy landing.All I need is to decide which engine to put back in norew

Flew on my own this morning,practised touch and goes,3rd flight dead stick on take off,nice gentle landing and the fuz had broken in half again.The covering peels off faster than I can get it on,have to decide if its worth repairing again.After its return Ive had a good run,so Ive had my monies worthand maybe should puit it to rest

Unfortunately this evenings investigation seems to have revealed my problem.I think that whilst in the rape for the month condensation has weakened the balsa,and a couple of landings do the rest.The fuz break has just moved amlong a bit.You can see that the wood has just parted from the new  wood Ive put in to strengthen the previous breakehas just come away.Ive had plenty of bonus flights from this model and I love the way it flies.Its been excellant value for money and its helped my flying progression.\\\any ideas what I shuold get next,all suggestions welcomed

Hi Stephen,

I've really enjoyed reading this thread - it's interesting to hear from another realtive 'beginner' how a model handles and helps develop your flying.

I have a spare .46 engine sitting on my bench and am tempted to get one of these in preparation for moving on from my own Boomerang (popular aircraft it seems!). I'm just wondering what servo's you're using. Not really a big issue, it's just that I've had a couple of servos fail in my Boomerang and wanted to find out if people suggested a minimum standard for servos.

I had been using the Futaba S3003 supplied with my first radio set and don't rate the quality at all. I'm leaning towards a set of Hitec HS 645 metal geared servos, but at £25 each it makes kitting out a four servo model that little bit more expensive.

Rich

It never fails to amaze me how the marketing boys continue to convince people that they need to spend a small fortune on servos for a standard sports style model. We fly combat wings up to 60" + in very very harsh conditions, its not uncommon to walk a very long way over very rough ground to retrieve a model which has literally cartwheeled across the rocks and scrub, only to simply pick it up and throw it off a big cliff in howling winds and rain once again. My current 46" combat wing has had many such experiences, and yet continues to fly perfectly well on simple cheap S148 servos. I guarantee you, that your typical flat field sports model will NEVER experience the abuse and workload of these things, so dont waste your hard earned cash. Of course, if you fly super scale large or very powerful aeroplanes, or 3D style models, then speed, torque, resolution etc is important, and the extra cost of digital expensive servos etc is justified.....to some extent

• 1 month later...
Well I've stopped thinking about buying a Super Air and actually got myself one. Had an SC46 and some servos sitting about in need of a home, and at £65 there's not much debating to be had!

Unfortunately I thought I could keep this one quiet from the missus, but she's working from home today and has just called to say a large box has arrived and where do I want it put! Wish I'd been quick enought to say it was a xmas prezzie so no peaking.......

Posted by Richard Carpenter on 27/11/2009 14:46:04:
Well I've stopped thinking about buying a Super Air and actually got myself one. Had an SC46 and some servos sitting about in need of a home, and at £65 there's not much debating to be had!

Unfortunately I thought I could keep this one quiet from the missus, but she's working from home today and has just called to say a large box has arrived and where do I want it put! Wish I'd been quick enought to say it was a xmas prezzie so no peaking.......

I also enjoyed following your thread Stephen.  At least in the end you retrieved the model and had a little more use out of it!

I use model finder bleepers, well worth the £8 95 and they've saved my bacon a good few times, even just in long grass.  It's very reassuring when  a model goes down, to head over to an area and hear that little bleep!  (I believe they don't work with 2.4ghz?)

My sympathies are with you and  your search; my battered old Peppi stopped  responding a few months back and spiralled down what looked like a VERY long way away.  I had a rough idea where it had come down, but walked around for a couple of hours looking for it (her?)  at times I could hear the very faint bleep of the model finder, but it was very hard to pinpoint the direction.  Worse still, it had gone down near a holiday park where we don't have a very good relationship with the owner. (No holiday makers there at the time of year.)  I sneaked in to search and was confronted by what I thought was going to be an angry owner, but he fell to my charming approach and even helped me look .  Trouble was, he was on a tractor so  I could no longer hear the bleeper while he was near!  It got worse because the peace of the area began to be broken by traffic leaving the local college when it got to 1600 hrs, then a guy turned up at the field and started flying a jet with a real strong whine of engine noise.  I almost gave up!  I wasn't sure how long the battery would last either.

Anyhow to cut a long story short, I eventually found it, perfectly intact and hiding between some big trees and bushes and a shower block.  Without the bleeper I'd never have found it.

A couple of observations though. 1.  It was much closer than I thought.  2.  Next time I will actually take a compass bearing and search on a line using a back bearing to the take off field.  A gps would be even more useful in my case because it's not obvious where the field is from the other side of the road because of trees and bushes in between. Put a waypoint in at the takeoff point and when searching use 'go to'  in the gps to show the bearing of the field in relation to your position?  (Luckily I already have a couple of gps's, one for paragliding and one for sailing.)

Re the airspeed, groundspeed thing, it's a bit like the effect of walking while on a escalator.  If you walk with it (ie same direction, your speed over the ground increases, but if you were to walk the wrong way on it, despite the fact you are still walking at the same speed, your ground speed more or less drops to zero.  It is of course why we land into wind.  You are maintaining a good airspeed, but with lower ground speed.  (Sorry probably stating the bl..ting obvious!)
When flying in a strong breeze on a  downwind leg your airspeed appears to be much faster than it really is and it's tempting to throttle back (well I did anyway on one occasion and the loss of airspeed almost made me lose control of the model!)  ( I'm a bit of a newbie myself) Probably totally confused you now anyway!

My new Wot 4 (and a new model finder) are sat in the kitchen waiting the start of building.  Unfortunately I started some DIY on my house just the day before the call telling me it had arrived, so feel obliged to finish that first.

I look forward to reading more of your exploits.

Thanks Bob you are right Im on2.4 and havent found a suitable finder.Our club chairman is an FF person and always questions members with lost models works it all out in his head and setd off on a search usually succesfully.\he has the eyes of a Hawk and sees models in trees ,noone else can see the tree let alone the model.It was he who found the Super \air,but he is his own person,he wants to look alone,and its best yto leave him to it.

• 3 weeks later...
You weren't wrong about the build for this one Stephen, she really does go together exceptionally well. The parts all feel well constructed out of the box with the joints seemingly having enough glue.

I didn't expect the slot for the wing joiner tube to be cardboard, but it feels nice and solid with the metal tube epoxied in place. The elevator and stabaliser fin were both snug fits and even though the mounting slot doesn't offer up a great deal of material, it looks nice a snug.  

Unfortunately I'm busy most evenings this week, but the weekend is completely free now all the Christmas shooping is out of the way. Hopefully I'll be able sit down with a cuppa and finsh her off on Saturday...

You will enjoy the Super Air Richard,Ive exchanged ir for a B/H Renegade which is loovely and gentle to fly but the U/C is not as strong as the super air u/c but a lovely looking model.Ive also a B/H Etra 300S ready for next year lovely to fly but has to be flown faster.Ive acquired an old WOT 4 that was unbelievably responsive until I found Id the rates on the ailerons at 150% oops,flies like a kitten now

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I thought I'd give an update to my progress with the Super Air - and ask for a bit of help!

Unfortunately I didn't get much done over the Christmas period due to the usual distractions, including a micro heli which made up for the awful t.v., but I have now finished the 'build' phase of the model. I'm just finishing the final set-up and balancing etc, and have noticed what could turn out to be a serious problem.

I have managed to glue the horizontal stabiliser slightly off level. I checked this during the build and thought it was ok (novice mistake), but it's definitely off. Looking down the fuz from the nose, the left side is slightly raised, and the right side the opposite. I'll take a picture tonight to give a better indication, but I think it's a few degrees.

My question is what impact will this have on the models flying characteristics? Will the model veer left or right with the application of up and down elevator? If so, can I in mix a little aileron or ruddr to compensate, or am I looking at removing the stabiliser altogether? How would I go about doing this?

Any advice form more experienced modellers is much appreciated!

Rich