Blackhorse Super Air

Advert

A good thread to read Stephen - thanks. However one thing I need to clarify please, was it that you could not go physically go into the field to find the Super Air, or that it was agaisnt the rules?........I would have gone in after my model rules or not! Obviously while the chairman was not there or anyone else for that matter.

I have an 300s flies very well as if on rails - see my album, though I'm not sure if it's a BH one?

Hi Delta Whiskey,the field is where we fly over mainly,its a very big fieldWe had strict instructions from the farmer and chairman not to trapse willy nilly desyroying the crop.Club opinion would have it that I did just that but I didnt.Carrying a step ladder I balanced myself as high as I could to see if there was any indication of the model but never saw any possible sins.The model landed abot 50 yards from where we suspected where it might have gone.It was only whenanother club member put his model up with a flycam and worked out that a depression in the crop with no telltale tracks going to it and a bit of white showing,made a map and the chairman went straight to it and retrieved it..I now also have a b/h Extra 300S,and theTh under Tiger 46 Pro from the Super Air is in a Seagull Cap232 awaiting its maiden

• 1 month later...

Afternoon All,

I am hoping someone will be able to help.  A mate at the local club has bought himself a Super Air and is part way through building and come to install his Irvine 53.  The instructions do not specify a dimension from the firewall bulkhead to the drive washer of the engine. 

Would anyone be able to advise?

Many thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,I think that measurement is usually inportant when fitting a cowl and as the Super Air doesnt have one . I would think that by fitting the engine as near to the bulkhead as practical is how I would do it,.I fitted a Super Tiger 46 Pro in mine and it balanced out fine.Lovely model if you dony lose it in Rape seed  crop for a month.As you correctly  observe no measurement is mentioned.The only time Ive seen a problem is when someone fitted an engine at the very end of the mount that made it very nose heavy

• 1 month later...
Watched a guy with a Super Air ,Friday an Saturday.First flight forgot to put the bung in the filler Tube ,took off Dead stick ,model landed 300 yards away in a Hedge.I retrieved it for him and pointed out his error.The model was undamaged.He flew agsin and lande short with a bang,surprisingly again no damage.He then instructed me on hoe my excellant landind was all wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Next day he arrived again and on his first flight on landing approach flew into a tree.I helped him retrieve it but this time the fuz was broken in half.Unfortunately che then destryed a Cougar 2000 ,lost control,had everyone in the pitts diving for cover.He then flew A Gilmore erratically had a dead stick th model dived like a brick and he left with 3 black bags

Unfortunately you are right BB ,he started last year exactly the same.In fact  a friend who joined this time last year arrived at the field potentially wanting to join and met this guy,who was teaching someone to fly.He knew the guy was talking rubbish immediately.The happless pupil knew nothing and watched as the guy demonstrated how to fly his Trainer.------into the ground

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stephen. I've been very interested reading your thread and found it quite entertaining.

I've been flying my Britflight Hustle for a little while now, and I love it to bits but, as it is so small and light there are many days when I can't fly it as the blustery conditions make landing too hairy, so I've been looking at the costs of buying an IC engine, somewhere around a 46 - 53 and all the paraphernalia that goes with it, not to mention the cost of the plane on top, it's a lot to fork out in one go so i thought I'd look on ebay to see if I could find any deals.

Low and behold, there was a BH Super Air, only flown 5 times, complete in all aspects including an Irvine 45, Futaba Field Force 6 35mhz outfit, electric starter, field box with 12v battery and control panel, metal case for the transmitter, oil, a little fuel, glo stick, etc, etc, etc and I was the only bidder getting it at its starting price of £150. The kit is in Manchester and i live in S.Wales so a friend who lives in Manchester picked it up for me. I'm collecting it from her on the 16th May, I can't wait, I'm so excited I could almost buy a round.

I'm currently using a Spektrum DX6i so i may sell on the Futaba gear and get some of my money back.

Steve

Hi Steve thats a Bargain,and there is nothing wrong with Futaba as far as I know,as long as you remember to extend the aerial and no one is on the same channel.Ive always flown 2.4 so havent needed to worry.For the short time I flew the Super Air I enjoyed it a lot and was impressed with the value for money,now youve come along and got the model for free,just paid for the ancillaries,well done and enjoy your Super Air

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Unfortunately I had a mishap with my super Air at our clubs monthly BBQ fly-in last night, and it's beyond repair

I'm not entirely sure what went wrong, but think I suffered some radio problems. I was happily flying circuits when the model suddenly rolled over and spiralled downwards, which was totally unexpected and came as a complete suprise to me! I did try to recover, but it just felt like the Super Air was refusing to do what I told it.

Anyway, I'm going to buy replacement because I really enjoyed the model and was learning a lot using it. My question is which LHS is offering the best price? At the moment, the cheapest I can find is £62.99 plus p&p from ServoShop.co.uk, or I could get it from Slough RC for £64.99 and save the postage (the shop is only 45 mins drive from me). Before I spend some cash are there any deals to be had out there?

Thanks,

Rich

Well, my Super Air is no more as well. I was taking off and the plane was veering to one side, heading towards the long grass. I tried to compensate with rudder but I panicked a little and tried to get her off the deck too soon. It lifted off, stalled a wing which dropped, hit the ground and the plane cartwheeled over and over.

Ooooops!

Hi Steve, sorry about your super air, if you are after another good low wing jobbie, what about the Speed Air ? 100% better than the super air and is not troubled by the slow speed wing drop of the Super Air.

After i had flown mine a lot, i cut the ailerons in half and fitted flaps inboard and also fitted re-tracts and made it into a tail-dragger, the extra weight made no difference to the slow speed handling, it flew as well as ever, very highly recommemded..

regards as always

Chris.

Interesting point there Richard - saving postage by driving to your  LMS which is 45 mins away. Just for interest I drive a 2.7l V6 petrol beastie and get 5miles to the litre. Both my LMS's are 17 miles away (about 20 mins drive) making a round trip of 35 miles approx  - 7 litres of petrol - £8.40 - most postage on kit seems to run to about £5 approx so it's usually false economy to do the trip in my case. I still go of course 'cos I like to touch stuff and tend to buy more than I need to make the journey worth it (no wonder I've got a loft full of stuff I never use)

A year ago mine was still hiding in the field.My knees are really playing up this year s Id have trouble searching this year.Although my training last year was used to good effect on Tuesday when a colleagues Magnatilla went in hard,unfortunately destroyed,the culprit,a defunct battery.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Well that Super Air did its own thing and was destroyed,he now has a Travel Air.I have to report Ive done it again.My Old WOt 4 did its own thing and has gone down in a dreadfully overgrown area of the farm.Ive struggled through the undergrtowth on several occasions but unles I trip over it I wont find it.Hopefully the guy who fgound the Super Air will again fly his Mpx Mentor with camera over the area and is good at locating models.The only thing I found so far has been a rather large adder I fortunately saw before I tripped over it.Ill be wearing wellies next time.Im also going to go to B and Q and get a broom handle to use as a walking staff to help knock the nettles out of the way