Blackhorse Super Air

I bascially just wrote a big lecture and then when i posted it timed out!!! Hate it when it does that

For us beginners Stephen. Basically every aircraft has a stall speed which is only relevant to airspeed and not groundspeed and does not matter whether there is a 30knt headwind, 15knt tailwind, 500knt crosswind etc etc...

When the airspeed falls below the stall speed the aircraft WILL stall!!

So, on that downwind leg when us beginners panic becuase we think it is going so fast we chop the throttle, the airspeed dramatically reduces and groundspeed increases. The wind is pushing the model and the prop is not pulling it!

Then, if we havent already, when we turn base/finals the inevitable result is ground impact, due to stall (Because our airspeed was still low even though the model looked like it was going fast) and at low altitude there is no time to recover.  

Airspeed = Speed through air.
Groundspeed = Speed over ground.

We actually think it is going fast but it isnt, so the airspeed drops below stall speed and then STALL!

Practice taking your aircraft up high and gradually slowing it down whilst pulling more and more up elevator. This will teach you the charactheristics of a stall and give you a rough idea of your models stall speed.

Cheers,

Ross.

Also, real world pilots have the comfort of being able to continuously monitor an airspeed indicator so in theory they could just keep the throttle set at a setting where the airspeed is just above stall speed and fly around into wind, crosswind, downwind etc.

There will be no difference in the aircrafts airspeed but all the pilot will notice is the ground going passed them faster or slower!! If they panic and reduce throttle on downwind because they think they are going to fast, airspeed will reduce and STALL.

Im not sure about models Stephen but i dont think so. Somebody experienced will probably clear this up but,

If your model can fly at 10mph and the wind happens to be 20mph downwind then the controls will still work but your groundspeed will just be 30mph. Your airspeed could still be 10mph.

It is down to airspeed v groundspeed again. Forget groundspeed, think about airspeed.

I understand,so even though my model is going fast through the air down wind to me standing on the ground  bacause of the speed of the wind the model is actually possibly travelling a lot nearer to stall speed so before turning I must give it more power,unless of course Im going fast enough.So now I need a speedo on the model and one to read the wind speed then Il be OK,except by the time Ive read them and worked the airspeed out " wheres me model gone"!

Sort of. The reason why you would stall or lose height is not directly related to the wind, it is because your airspeed is too slow, no matter what the wind is doing!!!

Stalling is directly related to airspeed and does not take groundspeed or wind into consideration.

Therefore, wind is indirectly related as you THINK the aircraft is going too fast downwind because of its apparent high groundspeed (caused by the wind pushing the aircraft) but because you have practically cut the throttle off, the airspeed is close to stall speed. (As the prop is practically not pulling the aircraft through the air, so it has hardly any airspeed)

But you are right, in mid-high winds you are going to have to increase power quite a bit just before you turn base/finals, so you gain enough extra airspeed to retain lift through the turn.

I do hope this is not going to digress into another heated argument about the stall
this has been thrashed out in another, now infamous thread all about the stalling wing.
Now I am no aerodynamic expert, but I thought that out of all the discussions over there, I had pretty much settled on the fact that a wing stall is ONLY brought on by the AOA being too much, and not actually anything to do with airspeed / groundspeed.
Sure, flying too slowly will cuase the aeroplane to drill a hole in the ground, but thats because of insufficient lift being generated, not because the wing stalled.
Now quick ...get me a Taxi out of here

I think the difference here Timbo is that we are talking about the stall as in a sudden drop/loss in altitude.  Whether that's due to broken air flow, or insufficient lift is pretty much irrelevant. All we are really bothered about is stopping the aircraft falling out of the sky!

In my experience if you are dropping too much in the turns you are probably banking too sharply.

Edited By andy watson on 22/07/2009 15:42:51

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 22/07/2009 15:00:39:
I do hope this is not going to digress into another heated argument about the stall
this has been thrashed out in another, now infamous thread all about the stalling wing.
Now I am no aerodynamic expert, but I thought that out of all the discussions over there, I had pretty much settled on the fact that a wing stall is ONLY brought on by the AOA being too much, and not actually anything to do with airspeed / groundspeed.
Sure, flying too slowly will cuase the aeroplane to drill a hole in the ground, but thats because of insufficient lift being generated, not because the wing stalled.
Now quick ...get me a Taxi out of here

Fair point Timbo but i was trying to keep it as simple as possible for Stephen and in relevance to him losing height on the base/final turn and hitting the ground, because i assume he wouldnt just fly it into the ground on purpose without increasing the AOA, or pulling up in laymens terms causing a STALL!!!! ha ha

Stephen,

That is exactly the problem.

If you pull too much elevator whilst at too low an airspeed you will STALL.

Timbo: I know you dont want to go on about this but just one more thought.

An F-16 is travelling at a high airspeed and suddenly pulls nose up into a straight climb. No evident stall even though AOA has increased massively.
It then does the same thing but at very slow airspeed.......and stalls!!

AOA is the primary reason but it needs to be combined with airspeed.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 22/07/2009 16:22:36

Spoke to the chairman of the club and he has suggested a new place to look.So itll be trekking with the steps again soon.The book"Model Flying--Find that Model comes out in January.It covers all my exploits and adventures looking for the Super Air it ll have you on tender hooks and the edge of your seats,the drama is captivating,and the end well youll have to wait and seeyes folks its all there,and Im talking film rights as we read

Yas Brian I made areal discovery tonight this field is very big,and when you are carrying a step ladder and scambling through 6 ft under growth or more like over growth it gets very tiring.I abandoned the steps half way round because I convinced myself I was to far round.I could see I was passed the club caravan on the other side of the field so Ive narrowed it down to half the field.I found a path through the rape to a ridge and when I set the ladder up at the highest point realised its an impossible task.We are going to put the camera back in the air next week.Its a race between locating it by air or by combine