The August 2009 issue

We've freshened up the design of the magazine for the August issue so please let us know what you think. In particular reviews now carry visual ''score'' bars as a means of better illustrating the points and who the model is aimed at. 
We've started a new pictorial step-by-step feature - we hope readers like it, if there are any areas you'd like covered in future issues then please let us know. 
As always, your thoughts and suggestions are very welcome.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 29/06/2009 08:25:13

Just got mine!  Looks like another great mag, good articles as always.

BUT I for one am not in favor of the new look to the, Starting piont (p8) counter point (p12) and letters page (p50).  I know thing need to change and evolve but it just seems hard on the eyes. the other changes all look good but these 3 just look wrong some how, maybe I'm alone in this view and maybe I'll get use to it but you did ask for our oppinions on the changes.

This is not ment as a complaint just a opinion but as stated the mag looks good. have started with the fixing of ARTF's. I'm off the rest of the week so might need to do this after flying in this lovely weather were having and the inevitable slightly heaver than needed landings! LOL

Edited By Dave Towell on 01/07/2009 14:15:40

I like the new look well done all - and also noted that "our Ben" had won some goodies 
Nice one Ben
Pity there is no description of the photo near the back, the trainer style jet - looks a bit  like a hawk....
You could ditch the silly little cartoon thingy as far as Iam concerned - very juvenille, but no harm of course, and its no big deal, doubtless some find it amusing.
All in all a nice job- have only scanned it quickly and will have a thorough read when I get chance - seem to be very busy at the mo with other things

I DO like the new look, and particular Counterpoint: no more matching up numbers and pix.  I also like the way Editorial and Contents are gradually moving to the front (though I'm not sure if that's careful layout planning or tight purse-strings with the advertisers who want low-numbered pages!)  Me, I would like to see the contents pages as pages 2 and 3, so I can immediately find my way round on opening the mag
I was never a fan of the "tabs" at the top of e.g. Switch On. The page title told me where I was.  The tabs just duplicated that, and told me I was not on the page for Counterpoint, All Write, Going Places ....  Glad to see them gone and that you are using the space for more text and bigger pix.

I was very happy when Dave messaged me saying Id won . I need to think about buying some electronics for that Aero Subaru.

As for the New bits, Over all I like it, but there are some bad points. I am with Dave in saying that Switch on, Counter Point, All write and Going places (which I have to say, looks a bit amateurish, no offence meant) all look quite garish. Other than that, Its great!

I don't like the new look I am afraid. The only thing going for the make over is those little reveiw bar things. Well done ben - nice letter! More of the Whittikeresk articals on stuff like ARTF longdetiverty. To think I used to not like his writing. Oh how times change. I'm sure we have already had an Adrenalin reveiw though. Was there that much point in the new one I wonder. I loved the cover photo.
Also, other then the difference in shape of the tail feathers, how are the Migit & the Cosmic different. They both look the same to me...
Overall a good mag though. Yes, a good mag.

I liked the changes, on the whole.
thought that better use was made of photos
liked the "opinion bars"
wondered why one of the plans was not set up for electric
content seemed to be more varied, should help towards pleasing more of the people, more of the time, certainly more so than last months edition
Noted the comment that the BMFA are interested in reports on structural complaints and comments on ARTF's, presumably more on safety grounds than value for money, but could not find where to comment. An e-mail to them brought a rapid reply, but it is neccessary to print the form and send the report by mail. Not Instant! 
I can see why they do not get many comments  

Mixed opinions here. It does look fresher overall but I too had problems scanning the switch on and letters pages.
Nice cover yet again but without a description of the model until the Rougham report.
You can't beat real model on real flying fields. (Unless it's real models on a mountain!)

Andy

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 01/07/2009 20:35:42

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 01/07/2009 22:05:00

Got my copy this morning, like the new layout. I saw my name on page 52 "Going Petrol", had to hunt through the forum to find the original, 30/3/09

The free plan is probably one of the best I've seen for years in terms of layout. Very clear instructions that will help both the novice and the experienced builder. I only need a sheet of Liteply then I can get started!

I like the less glossy look - much easier on the eye.  Not keen on the blue bars in 'Switch On' etc.  Not sure about the opinion bars in reviews, they seem a little superficial - I know the detail is in the text but if we're going to summarise 'at a glance' shouldn't we have one about how well it flies ?  How about those used in this very forum ..................

Like the content - a nice mix.  Love the cover - was getting fed up of foamies.............. also hugely impressed at the artwork on Mr Ellisons F20.  Wow ! Nice one Slopetrash. 

GG

Edited By GrumpyGnome on 02/07/2009 07:04:44

Let me clarify its the bits with the blue bars down the side that i find hard on the eyes. the new format is ok, ie the new counter point lay is goodits just the blue bars. The rest seems fine it just with the blue bars I seem to remember a little while ago there was a bit on the forum were people were complaining about text on a coloured background.
Enough about the blue bars. Good mag ,just one small prob. Its not long enough !!!!

I'm in 100% agreement with Dave re the blue bars point. Hard to read

The other thing I'd add to that is that the more colour you introduce into the contents (ie articles) pages, the harder it becomes to differentiate that from the ads.

If I were an advertiser I'd prefer my ad to be clearly distinguishable as such, rather than just blend into the rest of the mag

well i've read mine now and overall i think it's a fair balance between all the various aspect's of our hobby.....how the ed and his assistant's decide what to publish must be a nightmare--to try and get the balance right......for a few quid what more could you want or get...roll on next month's and hope there's a mention in of this end of the country......N.EAST...............

ken anderson..........

I'm always pleased to recieve my subscription copy, This month the first item that caught my eye was the Tiger Moth article, but alas it was't there. Instead, I find that I have page 43 thro to to 50 twice. has anyone else reported this

RJW

I've been away visiting friends since the beginning of the month and looked forward to reading my RCM&E on my return.  When I did get my hands on it I immediately turned to the contents page where my eye was caught by the review on page 39 of the Tiger Moth, and surprise x2! it wasen't there.  It goes from page 30 through some ads to page 44, however at page 50 it goes back to page 44 again.  Furthermore at page 90 it goes back to page 83 again and after the second page 90 it skips blithely on to page 99.  I would like to have the same edition as everyone else with the page numbers running consecutively.  Please let the powers that be that I am very unhappy with my ARTR (almost ready to read) mag and would like an RTR copy.
Thank you (hopefully for rectifying this problem),

John the disconsolate.