Which 2.4GHz system should I go for?

Hi All,

Some point in the near future im going to have to buy a new TX. My 35MHz Futaba 4EX is a little limited, if you know what I mean. I have very little links with 35MHz, One decent reciever is all I have really. So, perfect opertunity to up grade to a good 7 Channel system and 2.4GHz.
  I need some advise on which 2.4GHz system to jump into. Im not too bothered about the fussy bits about the decision, just want a decent 7 Chl 2.4GHz system that'll work.
  I know that a TX is going to cost me around £200 (that'll be the christmas present!). However, I want to know which RX's are the cheapest. Now, as with me, I always want cheapness, not tacky though! I don't wanna spend out on a £40 quid reciever basically! My limit would be around £20 p/RX, would prefere it to be nearer £15.

All advise welcome, I have never really boned up on 2.4, now wishing I had.

Ben

Advert

That last thread you suggested is a GEM. A real page turner .

So, Futaba = You have to be Sir Alan Sugar rich

Jeti = Need to have a bit in the savings

Spektrum = Just right! You know its gunna work, but you don't have to pay loads for it!

Corona/Planet = Cheap, might not work, isn't really any good.

Having said that, it my understanding that you can use the DSSS RX's from Corona with Spekky TX's. Is that correct? If it is, im pretty much set on what I want!

Ben

I'm a Futaba user, but I would say that if price is such a major consideration then Spectrum is the way to go.  I don't think I would look beyond the 2 major brands.  I don't think, but I am happy to be corrected, that you can get a spectrum rx at the price you were looking at though.  I think they are about £40.  I do believe Futaba is a better system, but whether it is noticeable is questionable.

The sum you need to do though is this:

price of transmitter + (price of receiver*number of receivers needed).

What I am saying here is if you don't need a lot of receivers then the price of them isn't necessarily significant.  If you have/want a lot of planes each with their own receiver then it is.

When looking at the budget systems do you need to factor in a crash or 2 into your costings?

Ben Corona DSSS Rx's are not compatible with Spektrum DSM tansmitters I'm afraid, the one downside of 2.4 is that you are locked into that manufacturers Rx's.

If Rx price is a major concern then I'd look at sticking with 35 mhz, you can get some great 7 channel Tx's which will work all 35 mhz PPM Rx's and with lots of people selling their 35 mhz gear you can get some good bargins.

hello young ben-35mhz is fine for what we want to do-----2.4ghz i would recommend for sure for the edf model's and the slope even- if you don't want interference of BOTH sort's-but club site's etc 35mhz-will still have a place-not long term-but for now it's ok-and there are some bargain's to be had from the people that are changing over now...........

ken anderson....send all your 35mhz rx's to me...............i'll pay the postage.........