Liquid Sheeting

Advert

I was aiming to use it on my Wow planes Marauder but thought it was a re-packaged epoxy also Phil. If you know exactly what type as it seems to do a good job I would love to know by PM. Be quite happy to test it out in a blog when I do the B-26

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 04/07/2009 22:39:45

That made quite a read Phil. I think since that thread the formula has been changed, now comes in 3 parts. I may still order a batch from wow planes and see what it is like, but it seems it's only going to cure in very hot humid conditions, OK for the weather we have now, but I wouldn't fancy using it in the shed in the winter.

I also wonder how well straight POLY-C without the tissue or glass would perform?
It too dries quite hard and shell-like.
I must try some on some foam before my new flyfly JEPE hawk arrives
After all its not so much about adding great strength...more about making the surface more resistant to scratching and scuffing, which most foamies suffer from - especially the fly fly stuff!

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/07/2009 23:49:55

• 1 year later...
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/03/2011 09:46:48:
Bump. Just wondering what the latest news is on this stuff ? - sounds ideal to use on my new FlyFly hawk, which is getting very close to the building board!
Surely someone here has used it by now?

Off topic but what do you mean by "bump" ?

I was going to recover my warbird wing with an iron-on covering but depending on how you get on with it David i might go this route...my only concern is what happens when it comes to rework in the future? With an iron-on you can peel off and re apply.

Just from reading on-line it appears to be a repackaged 2-part polyurethane coating called Styrospray?
In the US the mark-up worked out around 100%, quite what the difference would be over here I don't know.

I DO like the tumbler/spit mechanism devised by Fahim from WowPlanes though.

Edited By Kozmyk on 03/03/2011 10:58:12

Posted by Kozmyk on 03/03/2011 10:56:09:
Just from reading on-line it appears to be a repackaged 2-part polyurethane coating called Styrospray?
In the US the mark-up worked out around 100%, quite what the difference would be over here I don't know.

I DO like the tumbler/spit mechanism devised by Fahim from WowPlanes though.

Edited By Kozmyk on 03/03/2011 10:58:12

From what I understand of the stuff it is exactly that, re-packaged and marked up by 200% for us model types !!

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 03/03/2011 09:58:49:
Yup, got two tins on my desk that I was going to play with this weekend......

Ah, I will wait then and see how you get on with it - just seems it may be a whole lot easier to use than cloth and resin /poly-c etc.

I have seen it for sale here in the UK, but can`t remember where, will try and find out...

I have a supplier for this stuff, from what the fellow says he can supply it at half the cost in the link (dam model world rip off!) he is going to send me some free samples to test out..... watch this space

It can`t add the same strength as glass,i think it will be fine for a finish to give a perfect smooth finish on foam models but not as a substitute for a glass cloth covering.

TBH I dont think thats the objective - certainly not on many of the foam models I have.
The foam suffers badly from hangar rash, and scuffing on belly landings etc. If a full paint job is required ( as on the JEPE hawk, then the foam would need covering / priming first too. This stuff I am hoping, will provide sufficient resistance to damage - and take paint.
I do think we sometimes worry too much about strength - a glassed ship, if crashed hard will still break, and may well be more difficult to repair - quite apart from the weight penalty, which is so important on many electric models.

Tom have you actually seen a fly-fly model jet
Thats the hawk in my avatar, - all EPS foam moulded, including panel lines etc. If you can cover that in balsa and film, retain all the shape and detail, and keep the weight to within EDF limits you're a far better modeller than me! ( which you probably are anyway )