WazEco Build (Wasabi)

Well my mate Paul keeps pestering me to start building the WazEco, a cheaper version of the famous Wasabi Aerobatic slope soarer. The difference is about £150 and you have to build your own wings and stab, although the fusealage is still moulded, so its sort of my first mouldie, although its only a half mouldie if you know what I mean

Its the most money I've ever spent on a kit at about £150 and I got it from Joe at Island models on the tinternet. I first saw it in RCM&E a few months ago, and the lovey yellow moulded fish like fusealage had that elusive x-factor that made me want one, although when I saw the price I had second thoughts. I started checking it out on YouTube and RCgroups and was enthralled by its 3D aerobatic performance, I just never knew gliders could fly that well. Anyway the only other thing to say is that when I checked out the cost of the recommended JR servos I nearly died, I'm saving for the cheap Futaba ones and four of them is going to set me back nearly the same as what I paid for the kit!!!

Edited By Tom Foreman on 07/07/2009 18:44:03

Advert

Ribs and spars all lazer cut, just cyano together, rear spar is a bit fragile though

Paint pots keep it all aligned, tacked it together with thin cyano, then re-did all the joints with thick cynao

Started sheeting the wings, also have stuck aluminium wing joiner tubes in. Stuck two sheets together first, held together with masking tape. Then cut sheets slightly over size, wetted outside of bend to take up shape then glued with liberal ammounts of Aphatic resin (yellow wood glue)

Yes I have a battery fetish!

Well here you go Matthew

Basically everything you need apart from radio and covering. You can download the plan and cut your own wood and order the Fuse separately for the cheapest option (think its about 80 Euros) but I was too lazy to cut wood and source all the hardware. Apparently the original idea was that you could eventually upgrade to a full mouldie when you get bored or break your wooden wings, but the WazEco video shows that it flies pretty well see here

http://www.gliderireland.net/images/videos/wasabieco.wmv

Anyway got to build some more, here's where I'm up to, got to bottom skin next

Well this is far as I got tonight, only managed to stab my self once with the scalpel,  the WazEco now has a little of my blood in it, I'm sure there will also be tears and sweat to come later

Sheeting stuck together

Careful!! Cutting the tabs off can be painful!

Used one of the tabs to blank off the wing joiner tube.

This started out OK, but later on the sheeting started lifting, combination of the pressure being applied by the clothes pegs and the water I applied to curve the sheet.

Gave up with the pegs and jacked up the trailing edge with sheet and weighted everything down with batteries, hopefully it will be OK (fingers crossed).

Night!

Hi Matthew its an OK kit, they even glued the wing tip blocks together!

Tony, guess I'll have to go for a red colour scheme

Well here's tonights progress, it doesn't appear much but I've done lots of sanding.

Preparing to sand the false LE & TE, the old sand paper on the work bench trick.

It's warped while the sheeting dried!

Other wing is a bit straighter, oh well must try harder next time!

Leading edge and wing tips gluing, warped wing hopefully un-warping!

That's all for now folks!

Tom

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 08/07/2009 22:22:00

Good luck with this project, Tom!

I have a Wasabi (well, it's my second one now); it's a fantastic plane, capable of things 99% of gliders can't do.  Always brings a huge smile to my face!

In my opinion there is a bit of a weak point in the fuz in line with the leading edge of the wing.  This I have found is common to most "fish"'shaped fuzzes, due to the high side forces associated with the unusual fuz shape, and the canopy cut-out doesn't help..  I glued in a former to strengthen the fuz there, it has worked well.  I could take pics if anyone is interested.

Cool, that would save me £70, have you noticed any pecularities with using servos other than those recommended? I did consider cheaping out with Hitecs, but then thought I might regret it, buy once instead of twice and all that Will give it some more thoughts, glad I still havn't hit the buy button yet!

Managed to get rid of my wing warp with the kettle in the end, just got to motivate myself to do some razor planing and sanding

Tom

Cheers Chris that looks like a major mod, what motivated you to do it?

Well planing and sanding nearly finished, just waiting for the filler to go off as the wood supplied for the leading edge could have done with being a couple of millimeters wider. Will take some photos later when its all dry.

Cheers

Tom