Vintage Model Collection

The 2nd low winger is a lovely model to fly,very very smoothhandling, so you can imagine how I felt yesterday when I was distracted whilst coming into land and damaged it.The engine complete with front end all were ripped out.I didnt feel like working on anything when Ir arrived home but later on I removed it from the car and by the end of the evening it was back together.Light filling and covering is all that is needed now.

• 4 weeks later...

These models have been very strongly built.With this in mind I took the high winer to the field today,it was flown by a fellow club member,wasnt trimmed and I had problems with the covering after Id decided to fit servos in the wings for the ailerons.As this one is a bit tatty and not a very significant model I took it to the field to try to set it up as a winter hack.The old OS40 max started instantly and was given a tune.The model took off well but was very twitchy and difficult to control.The merest movement on the ailerons and it was all over the place.I landed it and reduced the ailerons,but they were stil to much.Landed again and reduced them to 50% and it was a delight.Adjusted the aileron trim and elevator trim and it flies nicely hands off.Very enjoyable mornings flying and its the first time Ive trimmed my own model and very pleased with myself.This is the model that is in the first picture on the thread

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 26/10/2009 15:42:29

Some good flights today,testing the flaps amnd rudder.Landed a bit heavily and theU/VC piano wire snapped,probably from age.No damage to model and Ive replaced theU/C easily.Its a very responsive modeland very enjoyable model to fly.This model shows how you can enjoy our hobby with very little outlay.Once in the air the old OS 40 is very responsive and powerful,amnd the model allows me to do all the manouvres Im capable of..

Ive treated the Trainer to some fresh Solatex.I rubbed the surface down and applied balsaloc so hope it stays on this time.Ive also changed the U/C but may need to increase the wheel sizeIve only covered under the wings where I had to remove the covering to fit the ailerons.

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 03/11/2009 10:04:28

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
A year on and ive flown the Pasadena Special.As my flying has improved it was more comfortable to fly and I wasvery relaxed.This has spurred me on to gat some others out.I have to fit new receivers as Ive changed my transmitter since the last time I flew them,Ive 5 fliable ones now.Im hoping to take the grey low winer to the Vintage club meet tomorrow

Pasadena Special

Low winger,hope to get it ready for tomorrow

I crashed this one but its now repaired,fitted a new engine.Itll be the next one to fly