Vintage Model Collection

PSS
I remember piston tops like that before they sorted out Schneurles ? and the proper flowing of gases -whatever.Not just on our mini engines   either
Stop the nostalgia Myron I say to myself -Whatever happened to Steam - It's used for cleaning & that's about it
& 'er indoors' iron of course

Now Chris,you have me slightly worried,Ive left the carb soaking in paraffin at work overnight,so I may find a blob when I get there tomorrow.The carb is solid seized,so I didnt have a choice.Worst way is another engine,but if I can get this engine going it would be nice to get the model back in the air as I found it,heres hoping,whats just engines phone no. again!

The good news is th engine is unseized.After a night in paraffin,I fitted 2 nuts onto the prop shaft and locked them.I gently put the engine in a vice.I heated the engine with a hot air gun.With a spanner on the nut I gave pressure and there was movement.The second part of the head came up with the piston.I gently tapped the head with a plastic hammer and that did it.Some quality synthitic oil round it and its turning silky smooth.Not so the carb remains firm.Ive dismantled it a bit more and put it back to soak

The carb is now unseized,again very gently put a rod in the hole and gentle pressure started it moving.WD40 and using its own lever it was quickly moving freely.Engine is rebuilt and back in model.Just freeing off throttle cable,and when satisfied I have throttle control Ill try and start it

Ive had the engine running but not for any real length of time,There is a lever by the needle valve and im not sure which position it should be in and what it is for.The tank bung is loose as well there is no screw to tighten on it so Ill try another tank tomorrow.I kept finding possible air leaks and put fresh piping on,vut Ill go the tank route first

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 27/07/2009 17:03:20:
There is a lever by the needle valve and im not sure which position it should be in and what it is for.

I think the lever might have been intended for in flight mixture adjustment. Probably best left locked in one position.
If there's an "O" rings on the carb spigot it will probably have hardened & need to be replaced otherwise you will have trouble with inconsistent throttling & unexpected engine cuts. You should be able to get suitable ones from a hardware shop.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 26/07/2009 20:58:13:
Frustrating,when I unpacked everything it was a bit of a shockas to the task ahead,but once Id made a mental list today has been clearer.Model aircraft are built to fly.This is the direction yourcousin needs to think.Is he someone who built without intending to fly,or did he retire and just wont let go?

He was always just interested in building things (he was an apprentice joiner at the time), but not flying them! He built a good 5 or 6 really nice models with full radio gear and engines (they were mostly 20 size as i remember him going on about the OS20 engines he was using), Im going to twist his arm at our wedding next Friday and try and get him to hand them over to me!! haha we'll see what happens.

Good luck on your mission here mate! 

Ive  asked a friend from the club,Michael to post some Photos for me as Ive misplaced my cameraThe first Bi plane flew beautifully in the wind today,its from a Swedish Kit from the 70s.I changed the tank on the Stringalong and the engine ran very well and sounds great.Whilst on a roll I got the Yamamoto Trainer out and started the engine in that.Started instantly and sounds great.Ordered a load of servos to get some more in the air.

Im led to believe that these models are early 70s and have been in a loft for over 20 years.The Yamamoto engine,an OS40 Max was fueled up,I put a small amount in the carb,then I turnedit over with the starter to get some lubricant aroud it., without the glow start.I didnt even check the glow.Fitted the glow start and it started instantly.I let it run for a period of time before revving it,and when revved up it sounded superb.On the biplane we flew yesterday ,when we reached the field,that engine,another OS40Max started at the first flick with a finger.,what superb engines.

What acracker

Hi Chris ,only been told by a club member that that is what it is.It is an all Balsa model built from a kit.The guy was obviously an engineer and no expense was spared ,the hardware is all good quality .I can see from the way these models are constructed why people knock ARTF.The construction is very substantial.The under carriage on all models is exceptionally strong and superbly made .Thr wing supports on. the Bi planes are very well filled and rubbed down.All models are finished with a coat of paint.The more I look the more I feel these models are a real find.They represent an era of quality.I hope I can do them some justice,and the engines have the power to get the etra weight in the air.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 29/07/2009 22:35:22:
Hi Chris ,only been told by a club member that that is what it is.It is an all Balsa model built from a kit.The guy was obviously an engineer and no expense was spared ,the hardware is all good quality .I can see from the way these models are constructed why people knock ARTF.The construction is very substantial.The under carriage on all models is exceptionally strong and superbly made .Thr wing supports on. the Bi planes are very well filled and rubbed down.All models are finished with a coat of paint.The more I look the more I feel these models are a real find.They represent an era of quality.I hope I can do them some justice,and the engines have the power to get the etra weight in the air.

Im quite dissapointed that ARTF seems to of taken over Kits, I love having to look at a big box of balsa and then "think" about building it!

I agree with you Myron and I found them on this Forum.The club chairman looked at the trainer that was thought to be a Yamamoto,but he doesnt think it is.He tells me the Stringalong was one of the most popular models in its day..I fitted the servos last night, but I need to move them forward a half inch,The only problem Im having is with the throttle linkeage.Somthing is to stiff.Fitted a new tank today.Received lots of new servos ,so most things needed are now in stock.I agree Simon,I built 2 Flair kits over Xmas and from a box of bits to a flying model is a great sense of achievement.The quality of build of tis collection is far above my ability so they are a real treat.