Vintage Model Collection

I completed the high wing trainer this evening ,and the ailerons are a total success,weather permitting hope to fky it Tuesday.Carried out a bit of research on previous owner of models and a couple of feelers left in the air.The altering of the throttle linkeage is underway on the Pasadena Special, but Ive hit a snag.The lower wing fixing mount is right next to thethrottle servo,,Ive tried a couple of things without succes so Im having,,,! some thinking time!

Advert

Thats the finished wing for the high winger and the model itself.Finished the mods on the Pasadena Special,the throttle linkeage is OK now,I had to file away some nut but its big didnt even put a dent in it.That allowed the piano wire clevis to  pass it.Ive also changed the receiver,as we were having range problems.I weighed a new OS40 LS against an old OS 40 Max.The difference was 60 grams,so Ive added that to the nose,as Ive fitted a new OS 46 LS.Ive now started on the 2nd low winger but I have to fit an engine mount.It also sports a built in fuselags cowling si Ive ordered a metal mount as I wont be able to fit nuts underneath ,so I need to wait for that.

To the flying field with the Pasadena special and high wing trainer.Bit to windy so left the biplane in the car.The trainer checked out fine,took off lost power and landed gently in long grass.No damage.Started instantly ,But lost power when hreld vertically.Decided to check the clunk.Easily removeable trap door access to tank.The tank just started falling apart as I removed it.I hadnt checked it on this model because all the others were perfect.New tank ordered for flight Thursday.The hiogh wing engine mount should arrive Tomorrow

My research into the gent who built these models thus far are his name was Frank Edmonds,a member of the Sittingbourne flying club.Kit Atkins found  a gent who knew him .He left in the early 70"s and joined Maidstone model engineering club.I think he gave up flying models and this is when they were put in the loft,He then went on to model trains and built a superb scale model he kept behind a 3 seater settee in the lounge obviously a proper chap

Saturday Evening saw the 2nd low wingerwell under way.I managed to drill fresh holes for the engine mount and that was fitted.I then had to drill a 22mm hole in the middle of the bulkhead because of the angles for the fuel tank and tubing.The bulk head is very thick and solid.The tank was then fitted and the engine.There was a thrust plate still attached to the bulkhead an d there is a lot of side thrust.Ive fitted a newish OS 40 LS "blue" so I dont think that much side thrust will be needed.The only jobs now left on this model are the sevos in the wings.Im off to the field to fly the High wing trainer and Pasadena Special, both after modifications so we"ll see what the day brings

To the field today with theHigh winger and Pasadena Special.After trimming the ailerons the high winger flew well,a problem with my covering Ill try Solartex,it just came off

The Pasadena Special was a no go.The spinner is a strange size and difficult to get the starter on,and there isnt enough thread,I have to move the engine forward.So last night I removed the engine and mountand made to spacers to bring it all forward about 3/8 of an inch.It all went well and just needs putting back together.I also need to change the tank.the one Ive used leaves to much of an angle on th fuel tubes,.

All the time Tony and they constantly move so your never sure where they are!Last night was spent on the Pasadena Special.The spacers to bring the mount forward were fuel proofed,the mount fitted then the engine.I was able now to fit a wooden prop and spinner.The tank arrived from Galaxy and thar will go in tonight,hopefully to fly it tomorrow evening

The tank went into th Pasadena Special nicely and gave me the room I neede to manouvre the fuel tubes through there respective holes in the bulkhead.The tubes also have more room for smooth curves in them preventing any resistance.I just nee to adjust the throyttle linkeage having moved the engine forward,so its all on schedule for this evening weather permitting.

Adjusted the throttle at the field ,carried out range check.Discovered a fuel leak from thr tank,was the tube  for fuel had split at end probably when fitting the tank,repaired,ready for take off.With the engine further forward and 60 grams of weight it flew smoothly, but a bit indifferent at the turns.Had a good fly of it myself and enjoyed it a lot,very heppy.The models are built heavy so they need respect and nothing silly when flying

Pasadena Special, modified and bigger

The fitting of the servos in the 2nd low winger went really well.It had one original servo still in place so I was able to replicate theat one including the arm easily.It also has plastic servo holders in place that seem to ework really well.I only need to fit the radio gear in now,so it could br ready for Thursday.I need to practise with my camera to get better shots because I get the model in a good frame but the delay between clicking and the shuttwe delay see@" the modelin a different place.My home computer blew up the other day,Im using my sons and like all teenagers it has issues

The low wing trainer 2 flew today and its a lovely model to fly.The model needed 60 grams up front for C and Gand once Id got the pipes the right way round from the tank it was fine The OS 40 LS gives more than enough power  and the flaps allow slow passes.The best model to fly from the collection

The model is very acrobatic also

This is the high winge,its been identified asa Yamamoto mark 1

The glider will be the final 1 to get in the air and probably the easiest.Its built from a Radio Modeller plan,I think no5 called a REX 112" Thermal Soarer.The work involved is 2 servos,a loittle recovering on the tail,and removing 2 tow nails and fitting a tow release.The nose has some lead that will have to be moved to accomodate the release.Ill probably weigh it and use sticky wheel balance weights either side of the release inside if possible.